Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this has me stumped. theres only one other movie that I can think of, that has a facade style similar to this, and thats Saw. It looks like Gideons from Saw, the only problem is the garage door isn't centered, and the roof doesn't remind me of Gideons. but it may be Saw, just a guess.
Or it's an original, this why we don't recognize it.

Honestly this‘ll be for the best. Properties like Silence of the Lambs & Hellraiser can get more time to get negotiated first 2021. Plus, we’ll have better quality for next year instead of a flop year this year.

Honestly this‘ll be for the best. Properties like Silence of the Lambs & Hellraiser can get more time to get negotiated first 2021. Plus, we’ll have better quality for next year instead of a flop year this year.
I honestly wouldnt bet on us getting many new properties by the sound of it, if universal decides to toss a bit more money their way i could see maybe 1 more maze but given the financial situation and however much it cost to construct and dismantle the mazes i doubt it. It'll be interesting to see what orlando does though, since i wouldnt be surprised if they just have 2021 be an encore year for the 30th anniversary with maybe one or two mazes switched out and more fleshed out scarezones.

Hollywood will at least presumably be better than Orlando next year in terms of execution with this years IPs (if they end up starying).

Last edited:
Hollywood will at least presumably be better than Orlando next year.
Hollywood is never presumably better off than Orlando in any capacity, when it comes to the Parks. If Universal Orlando had the budget Hollywood does, they'd still be able to design, create and execute a better event strictly because they have a better and more cohesive, "guest first" team.

Hollywood is never presumably better off than Orlando in any capacity, when it comes to the Parks. If Universal Orlando had the budget Hollywood does, they'd still be able to design, create and execute a better event strictly because they have a better and more cohesive, "guest first" team.
From what I'm aware, Universal gives orlando a significantly higher budget than they do hollywood, mostly due to orlando being the bigger scale event of the two and having the longevity to back it, or at least I assume those are the reasons. Not sure what your vendetta against hollywood is but you're entitled to that opinion.

They’re two (in essence) independently run parks with different priorities, styles, and structures. SoCal haunting is a world apart from the glamorous but sterile style of Orlando‘s HHN. People who started doing haunts with Orlando (or worse, only done Orlando) have little understanding of how unique (for good and bad) its sentimentalities are compared to anywhere else in the country.

They’re two (in essence) independently run parks with different priorities, styles, and structures. SoCal haunting is a world apart from the glamorous but sterile style of Orlando‘s HHN. People who started doing haunts with Orlando (or worse, only done Orlando) have little understanding of how unique (for good and bad) its sentimentalities are compared to anywhere else in the country.
Hell, i've done HOS at BGT compared to Universal and it's worlds apart. I can only imagine what local haunts are like.

Hell, i've done HOS at BGT compared to Universal and it's worlds apart. I can only imagine what local haunts are like.
I’ve been to a couple of local haunts that were legitimately scarier than anything I’ve seen at Orlando’s HHN. And they don’t do anything extreme like Nyctophobia. It’s all in brilliantly clever and energetic scares that Universal, literally, doesn’t allow. They were eye-opening.

I’ve been to a couple of local haunts that were legitimately scarier than anything I’ve seen at Orlando’s HHN. And they don’t do anything extreme like Nyctophobia. It’s all in brilliantly clever and energetic scares that Universal, literally, doesn’t allow. They were eye-opening.
Oh, I got confused, I thought you were talking about working conditions based on the budget conversation before you. Yeah, i've been to a few local haunts and it's night and day to HHN. HHN to me isn't really scary (most of the time) to me. HHN is more of a showcase for artistry, theatrical production and getting to walk through some of your favorite horror movies. But it's not that "scary". At least in Orlando. I've heard Hollywood is better, but I still imagine it's nothing like a local haunt since Comcast is such a large company.

Oh, I got confused, I thought you were talking about working conditions based on the budget conversation before you. Yeah, i've been to a few local haunts and it's night and day to HHN. HHN to me isn't really scary (most of the time) to me. HHN is more of a showcase for artistry, theatrical production and getting to walk through some of your favorite horror movies. But it's not that "scary". At least in Orlando. I've heard Hollywood is better, but I still imagine it's nothing like a local haunt since Comcast is such a large company.
Even in hollywood where we have more intense scares, they can get pretty samey, home haunts for the most part seem to have a really diverse range of scare tactics, which is probably the main advantage of not being able to slip into a reliable formula, you have to continue trying new ways to do it since you don't normally have brand recognition on your side unless you've been running long enough to become a staple of the area, but even then most local places stay decently obscure.

Even in hollywood where we have more intense scares, they can get pretty samey, home haunts for the most part seem to have a really diverse range of scare tactics, which is probably the main advantage of not being able to slip into a reliable formula, you have to continue trying new ways to do it since you don't normally have brand recognition on your side unless you've been running long enough to become a staple of the area, but even then most local places stay decently obscure.
That's the problem with the big crowds and conga lines at HHN (and IPs). Due to that, things have to rely on triggers and the look has to be right. It's more about atmosphere than scare.

Crazy how I don't remember asking
Crazy that we're all given the freedom to react and voice our opinions in a respectful dialogue, just as you did.

From what I'm aware, Universal gives orlando a significantly higher budget than they do hollywood, mostly due to orlando being the bigger scale event of the two and having the longevity to back it, or at least I assume those are the reasons. Not sure what your vendetta against hollywood is but you're entitled to that opinion.
I worked at the Hollywood park and was a scare actor for several years there. I did it because it was fun and it helped equip me with the tools to deal with all types of people. From the creative side, I'm not sure if Murdy has always been this way, but he had clearly reached rockstar status and it would be on full display. Since he is/was in the film production world as well, he was also very charismatic and charming, just like some of his brothers and sisters at Orlando's event. However, where they differ in my opinion, is Murdy seemed to become the story, rather than the event. Every scareactor orientation, I'd roll my eyes, because he would be on stage putting on a show for us, while his quiet(and awesome) counterpart, Chris, watched from the sideline. It felt like he was using the procurement of the IP's to have the ability to schmooze it up with rockstars and celebrities, rather than make a quality place to have fun. And therefore, the event as a whole feels like it's haphazardly put together. Time and time again we hear the echoes of the same thing come from the mouths of those that created the content from which the mazes are built. There's a reason why their budget decreases every year and maybe it's time to hit the reset button again.

Having been to Knott's, Haunted Hollywood Sports(RIP), Dark Harbor, etc., the difference in quality/care is night and day.

Crazy that we're all given the freedom to react and voice our opinions in a respectful dialogue, just as you did.

I worked at the Hollywood park and was a scare actor for several years there. I did it because it was fun and it helped equip me with the tools to deal with all types of people. From the creative side, I'm not sure if Murdy has always been this way, but he had clearly reached rockstar status and it would be on full display. Since he is/was in the film production world as well, he was also very charismatic and charming, just like some of his brothers and sisters at Orlando's event. However, where they differ in my opinion, is Murdy seemed to become the story, rather than the event. Every scareactor orientation, I'd roll my eyes, because he would be on stage putting on a show for us, while his quiet(and awesome) counterpart, Chris, watched from the sideline. It felt like he was using the procurement of the IP's to have the ability to schmooze it up with rockstars and celebrities, rather than make a quality place to have fun. And therefore, the event as a whole feels like it's haphazardly put together. Time and time again we hear the echoes of the same thing come from the mouths of those that created the content from which the mazes are built. There's a reason why their budget decreases every year and maybe it's time to hit the reset button again.

Having been to Knott's, Haunted Hollywood Sports(RIP), Dark Harbor, etc., the difference in quality/care is night and day.
I appreciate your detailed story of how you view Hollywood. I can understand what you’re talking about now.

I've been to both HHN Orlando and Hollywood. The biggest thing I take away is that Hollywood is a local event while Orlando is of international status. I know when i'm at orlando, im there for horror, for the set pieces and for the environment. I also know when i'm in Hollywood, i'm there for scares, a more raw event and those god forsaken black walls.

Last edited:
I’ve never attended Orlando’s event, and while maybe it’s “better” in the sense that the budget is bigger and the scope is more expansive, I think it’s hard to make a true qualitative judgement when the context and infrastructure of both parks and both events are so hugely different.

The thing Hollywood has going for it is the working studio atmosphere. Universal Studios is one of the true homes of horror, and even though HHN doesn’t use it to their advantage as often as I’d like, there is still something extremely special about being on the Universal backlot on a Saturday night in October and just being in the HHN atmosphere. Even the most hardened cynics will admit that’s still an incredible feeling, and I feel like it’s something Orlando can’t replicate because it’s just a theme park, and Hollywood is something more.

The other thing is yes, Hollywood HHN is one event among many, and some of those events are equal and occasionally just straight up superior in quality. But to me, that’s fine—in fact, it makes the whole thing even better. Haunts in Southern California (pro and home) are part of an ecosystem. It’s a community that extends to all kinds of different horror-related events and activities throughout the entire year between conventions, film screenings, art galleries, and the list goes on. HHN Hollywood blends itself into that. It’s not the end-all, be-all event like Orlando because it’s part of a bigger culture here, though I think most would agree it’s still the best in town.

Honestly, to me, it seems like HHN Orlando is great for the tourist, but HHN Hollywood is for the purist.

I...would argue the exact opposite to a large extent.
All good, a lot of this is obviously based on my perception of ORL’s event so I’m not trying to be overly declarative. I just know what’s true to Hollywood HHN, and what the strongsuits are relative to the rest of the Southern California haunts. As an overall thing, it just seems more “serious” than Orlando—serious in quotes because this is ultimately all about having fun!

All good, a lot of this is obviously based on my perception of ORL’s event so I’m not trying to be overly declarative. I just know what’s true to Hollywood HHN, and what the strongsuits are relative to the rest of the Southern California haunts. As an overall thing, it just seems more “serious” than Orlando—serious in quotes because this is ultimately all about having fun!

I mean, when you compare the layout and certain marketing aspects, that’s just how I see it. Hollywood has always been more IP-dominant and is always the host to the “celebrity goes into house” videos, Ellen appearances, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.