Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad Ghostbusters is officially dead. I hated the idea back when we were still in spec mode and I’m not even remotely surprised to see it more or less fail. Whether it was a GSAT thing or a rights-holder thing or a bunch of things at once, it was a truly terrible decision from jump street. I have to imagine all sides (Murdy/Columbia/USH/crowds) were disappointed in one way or another.

I find the whole Stranger Things situation confusing. Putting the Netflix relationship and this year’s crowd response aside, Orlando managed to do S2 and S3 pretty comprehensively and there really isn’t anything left for them to do, but Hollywood could conceivably do a S3 if they wanted to. It was just one scene.

I have no clue where things officially stand, but purely content-wise, Hollywood could easily do S3 next year, which would obviously create issues with Orlando and their plans. If Hollywood wanted to do it, could Orlando pass? Is that even in the cards? For the record, I would happily pass on more ST but who knows.

I hated the idea when it first popped up, mainly because we already had KKFOS and ST. But when I saw "white whale" and "most technologically advanced house ever," I admittedly bought into the hype. I have no idea what I was thinking. I hope Murdy being friends with Jason Reitman doesn't mean anything--someone mentioned he attended the event on at least one coast?

Last edited:
Alright I think the treatment is referring to Hellraiser... I mean, why not? Single environment, hard to pull off.

I hated the idea when it first popped up, mainly because we already had KKFOS and ST. But when I saw "white whale" and "most technologically advanced house ever," I admittedly bought into the hype. I have no idea what I was thinking. I hope Murdy being friends with Jason Reitman doesn't mean anything--someone mentioned he attended the event on at least one coast?
I did the same thing! I definitely wanted it to be good, so I kinda talked myself into it for a little bit there, but uggghhhh was it just bad.

IDK, we don’t need to relitigate this stuff, it isn’t coming back next year so no need to harp on it in a 2020 thread. Let’s just hope there’s no children’s programming next year. Looking at you, Beetlejuice.

(Actually I think a Beetlejuice maze might be okay, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.)

I have actually been thinking about what property Murdy is talking about with it being a challenge and although some people don't think it's coming I do think it could possibly be Beetlejuice.
Desert:
- Sandworm

House:
- Sheet Ghosts
- Day-O Dinner Table (Hands coming out of Bowls)
- Beetlejuice Snake
- Attic Scene (Giant Beetle, Town Model, Revolving Green Light Trick (Transition to Underworld) )
- Wedding Scene (Maitlands Skeleton, Objects trapping Mom&Dad, Sandworm busting through the Ceiling)

Underworld:
- Waiting Room (Different Characters waiting)
- Outside Office/Working Room (Skeletons, Man hanging)
- Hallway of Doors (Lost Souls Room, Scary Barbara&Adam)
- Office Room (Scary Barbara & Adam, Ghost Football Players)

Town Model:
- Giant Fly
- Beetlejuice (Head turning, Form)
- Dante's Inferno Room
It's tricky to do a property that is very goofy/comedy heavy versus straight up horror. Visually it's a lot harder as well as everything has a distinct look to it.

There also is a heavy mix of different effects and stuff versus actual actors. For right now I'm at least thinking Beetlejuice.

You guys think the tricky I.P. might be The Thing? Like, there's tons of effects they´ll have to use

When I hear difficult, my mind goes to something with limited locations. Beetlejuice has a lot of content and locations, but something that's more psychological (ex. Hereditary, Get Out, etc) would offer a very interesting design problem. I could definitely see Get Out coming, with the catalyst being Peele, but John's been very vocal about the lack of content.
(Also, not on topic, but Grammarly works on IU if you have the chrome extension)

If Beetlejuice does come to the event I 100% believe that it will have the exact same problems as the Ghostbusters maze, but IDK :tease:

If Beetlejuice does come to the event I 100% believe that it will have the exact same problems as the Ghostbusters maze, but IDK :tease:
The main difference I see with Beetlejuice is that the visual design is much more distinct than GB, barely any of the environments are normal places, unlike GB where a majority are.

The main difference I see with Beetlejuice is that the visual design is much more distinct than GB, barely any of the environments are normal places, unlike GB where a majority are.
The humor in Beetlejuice is also much different than Ghostbusters. It’s darker and much more cynical, even if the approach tends to be goofy and cartoonish. I don’t think it’s lighthearted in the same way as Ghostbusters. There’s a macabre tone in the movie that could, with the right calibration, fit a HHN lineup, but it all depends. It could easily be Ghostbusters 2.0, or it could be more along the lines of Krampus, just in terms of presence and atmosphere.

I'm wondering since Holidayz did get #2 for GSAT if they would consider doing a Spinoff Maze on one of the Holidays.

I feel as though it would most likely either be Thanksgiving or Christmas (Dark Christmas maze finally). But I would personally pick Easter which had my favorite scene of Holidayz.

I'm wondering since Holidayz did get #2 for GSAT if they would consider doing a Spinoff Maze on one of the Holidays.

I feel as though it would most likely either be Thanksgiving or Christmas (Dark Christmas maze finally). But I would personally pick Easter, which had my favorite scene of Holidayz.
Dark Christmas would be most monetarily practical, but easter and Halloween would be my preferred ones. Maybe a sequel based on a Mexican holiday (day of the dead, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.