Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
This thread is to discuss what we could expect at Halloween Horror Nights 2020. After last year's issues, we are going to handle this thread very strictly. We ask that all speculation comes from realistic expectations and adds to the discussion.

DISCLAIMER: This thread contains discussion centered around rumors and sometimes could include baseless speculation, and should be treated as such. Posts are not confirmations. Any official announcements for HHN 2020 will be shared on our main site, InsideUniversal.net

Will [HHN 2020] be canceled by COVID? It's too early to tell, but probably not. Information is changing daily, and we're seemingly on a downward trend than what was expected. I know there is a contingency plan in place in case we get to that point, as any smart business should have set for the rest of the year - but it is not expected. We're a little over 5 months out and a lot can change. Hell, things have changed from last week so...

Bottom line: I would anticipate HHN happening. Will there be impacts? Probably, yes. You'll probably see pulsing done. Less SIF (stuff in face). It's also possible you could see fewer actors in the streets.

This is an unprecedented time for all, especially the parks. They are taking it one day at a time, just like us. While it's scary to have so much up in the air, we shouldn't let the default response become the most severe.

Last edited by a moderator:
To piggyback - since it's Day 1 of Speculation, we understand there's going to be a bit of "carte blanche" for the initial discussion. Just please understand, there will be periods where there is no speculation or news, and that's OK. When there's something to discuss, there will be something to discuss. We're trying to avoid the whole "Throw all IPs at the Wall" discussion.

Do we think John Murdy is sticking around for 2020? His most recent tweet on his personal account was cryptic, yet insinuated a potential goodbye.

With his life mostly being in Ireland nowadays, I realize it’s only a matter of time. Especially with Michael Aiello being out of the Orlando picture, I can see the HHN brand being refreshed creatively all at once.

IPs that seem likely:

Beetlejuice: 80s throwback and if HMH isnt happening 2020, then this is the Ghostbusters of next year.

Creepshow Issue 2: Maze was well done, and the shudder series has been renewed for a second season.

Mexican original: Murdy still has that Mexican original in his mind, so maybe we could see that.

Hellraiser: Mostly requested IP and is a popular horror movie and is a classic.

I dunno anything on music, but Murdy has always wanted to do an Iron Maiden or Misfits music maze.

Jordan Peele's Candyman: Since Us was such a fantastic maze, its likely to get another Peele directed movie.

If Universal and Netflix are still on good terms than maybe Haunting Of Hill House or another Stranger Things maze.

Any WB IP: Like I said if any HMH aint happening 2020, Id expect some of their Ips to come. Mostly either IT, Conjuring universe and Arkham Asylum.

Welp thats all I got.

EDIT:
Creature From The Black Lagoon: Out of all the UCM, The Gillman hasn't had his chance. He was originally gonna be part of the 2018 maze, but had to be scrapped due to budget. I think this could be our classic monster maze now that it could be his time to shine.

Last edited:
Allow me to throw in my two cents.

Stranger Things 3
It's only obvious. We don't know the specifics of the Netflix/Universal contract (well, at least I don't) but I'm assuming it was for at least three years. I don't think the negative reception of this year's maze will hurt the property's chance of returning. Plus, Murdy hinted on Twitter on a few occasions that he was saving aspects of season 3 for future use. Hell, with season 4 rumored to be released in 2021, we have a lock for that year too.

Candyman
Whether the maze would be inspired by the original, Jordan Peele's remake (due this coming June), or a mixture of the two is beyond me but the property is ripe for the HHN picking. The remake is a Universal release, so that checks off the synergy box. Peele was also eager to bring Us to the event and seemed really happy with how it turned out. I don't see why he wouldn't jump at the chance to do another maze. HHN has been in dire need of a classic 90's horror property.

Beetlejuice
This one is admittedly a little blue sky, but I have reason to believe it's possible. Warner Bros' haunt is donezo for the time being, so I could see them easing up on their properties to make some sweet licensing money. After seeing how Ghostbusters was handled, I know a Beetlejuice maze could be amazing. It has way more scare potential and they could have so much fun with Tim Burton's style. BJ is also no stranger to the park, so there's that (I know the rights are different, but please indulge me for a second).

Zombieland
This one's pretty simple. I'm not too sure what Uni's relationship with Sony is like after Ghostbusters, but I can totally see them giving the property the good ol' Trick 'r Treatment. I haven't seen Double Tap, but the first movie has more than enough elements to flesh out its own maze.

Universal Monsters
I'm almost certain that Murdy plans to keep the monsters a staple of the event for years to come. I'm just not 100% sure how he plans to integrate them this upcoming year. Now, there are two potential scenarios here. Either the maze focuses on another monster as seen in 2018's maze or it's based on Blumhouse's Invisible Man movie (due early next year). The latter is much less likely given Murdy's rocky relationship with Jason Blum, but it's certainly still possible. The former, to me, would most likely be Dracula. More Frankenstein (as much as I love him) would be overkill at this point and Drac really got the shaft in 2018's maze so it makes plenty of sense to me.

John Carpenter's The Thing
Okay, this is really just me hoping for the best. It's one of Murdy's white whales and it's been speculated for years, so I'm hoping it finally comes to fruition. It's also not a crazy idea since the creative team now has the opportunity to properly allocate the budget to nine different mazes. I would gladly take another neon recycled prop extravaganza ala Pandora's Box if it meant having enough money for all the puppets and creature FX The Thing would need.

Mexican Original
Holidayz and Pandora's Box were huge hits so more originals seems like a no-brainer. Murdy's been sitting on the Mexican original for a little while and now seems like the perfect time to bring it to life.

Music Maze
This is just me spitballing. We haven't had a purely music-based maze in a little while so I could see one happening now. Murdy has said time and time again that he'd like to cap off his Alice Cooper trilogy and Metallica's Kirk Hammett is a huge horror buff so those two in particular really stand out to me as possible candidates.

Last edited:
Surprised noones suggested Creepshow 2, with the Hitchhiker, Something to Tide You Over, Lonesome Death, and one of the new Shudder episodes like the Finger or the Scarecrow one.

- 3 Originals (From the success of Pandora's Box and Holidayz)

- Dracula Vs Another Monster

- Creepshow Part 2 (Jordy Verill, To Tide you Over, 3 Stories from the Show)

- Beetlejuice

- Candyman

All I got right now in terms of what I think is coming next year.

Crossing my fingers for Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor (S1/S2 combo), a white whale (Hellraiser, the Thing), and a WB assist (Conjuring universe, It, Doctor Sleep, Lost Boys). Expecting ST 3, another iteration of UCM, Zombieland, and at least one original (hopefully just one). Hadn’t considered Creepshow Chapter 2 until now, but I like the idea. I’d be into it. Would LOVE an OG Candyman.

So here is my speculated line up for next year:

-Conjuring
-Dracula Meets Phantom or Mummy
-Candyman
-Original (Probably El Chupacabra)
-It
-All Hallow’s Evil
-Creepshow 2 or an original
-Beetlejuice
-Arkham Asylum

I don’t see Scream and Hellraiser happening next year. I listed all of those WB IPs as now that HMH isn’t likely to return, I think we’ll see more of that.

Also the originals made the top 3 in ratings this year! We’re going to see more originals. I don’t think we’re going to see multiple studios licensing IPs like this year, especially if that rumor is true on Orlando only doing 1-2 IPs next year. I also don’t see ST coming back after how poorly it was received this year.

Last edited:
Guess i can speculate
Wouldn't Be Surprised
  • Zombieland
  • Candyman
  • The Thing
  • Creepshow 2
  • Beetlejuice

Maybe
  • It
  • That hispanic original Murdy wanted in 2018

Last edited:
If Creepshow does come back I could see it being based entirely off the Shudder series next year. I don't think Beetlejuice is coming anymore after what was alluded to in the old "IP Yet to Come" thread...

I'd love a standalone Dracula maze.

All Hollow's Evil could well work

Look forward to seeing more obscure, but not entirely abstract, properties at HHN...

Changing a bit of my speculated lineup:

- Beetlejuice

- Creepshow #2

- Creature From The Black Lagoon

- Iron Maiden, Misfits, Metallica, or Rob Zombie (Murdy has stated he always wanted to do an Iron Maiden or Misfits maze. Metallica because Kirk Hammett is a huge horror fan and Murdy has worked with Slash who is also a huge horror fan as well. Rob Zombie because they have worked together before.)

- Candyman

- All Hallows Eve (Im gonna assume this one because like Holidayz in 2018, the SZ was amazing so I could see this being the zone to maze)

- Arkham Asylum (If WB ain't HMH, I feel like this could be the IP to go for. Yes IT is highly requested and popular, but Arkham has Joker and Batman which are WAY more iconic and popular than Pennywise. GP loves Batman and The Joker and this IP could bring in the big money)

- The Thing (It has been speculated for a while, and has been on Murdy's wishlist)

- Mexican Original

Changing a bit of my speculated lineup:

- Beetlejuice

- Creepshow #2

- Creature From The Black Lagoon

- Iron Maiden, Misfits, Metallica, or Rob Zombie (Murdy has stated he always wanted to do an Iron Maiden or Misfits maze. Metallica because Kirk Hammett is a huge horror fan and Murdy has worked with Slash who is also a huge horror fan as well. Rob Zombie because they have worked together before.)

- Candyman

- All Hallows Eve (Im gonna assume this one because like Holidayz in 2018, the SZ was amazing so I could see this being the zone to maze)

- Arkham Asylum (If WB ain't HMH, I feel like this could be the IP to go for. Yes IT is highly requested and popular, but Arkham has Joker and Batman which are WAY more iconic and popular than Pennywise. GP loves Batman and The Joker and this IP could bring in the big money)

- The Thing (It has been speculated for a while, and has been on Murdy's wishlist)

- Mexican Original

I don't mean to pick on you, but this is what we're trying to avoid. It's been 12 hours and you're already updating the Spec List when no new information has been provided, and the list isn't exactly different from your original post. Going forward, if it's a slight adjustment or expounding upon your thoughts more, just go back and edit your post.

I don't mean to pick on you, but this is what we're trying to avoid. It's been 12 hours and you're already updating the Spec List when no new information has been provided, and the list isn't exactly different from your original post. Going forward, if it's a slight adjustment or expounding upon your thoughts more, just go back and edit your post.
My apologies then, if you want to delete then feel free to.

Not tryna "throw all IPs at the wall" but with the strong reviews its getting, and potentially building a great facade and ambiance around it, does The Lodge have a chance at all? Could be a really unique experience that may be a bit different than your typically HHN house.

Status
Not open for further replies.