Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that absolutely lingered on to hope the possibility of ONLY October Nights with Mondays and Tuesdays off was on the table prior to the second wave of closures in LA. Obviously things have looked as if they've changed and it doesnt look like internal decorating will be worth the costs. This is a HUGE blowback... there's also another big Haunt event which is VERY LIKELY getting cancelled and you best believe the cancellations will come like peas in a pod.

That event, if it is what I think it is, will likely be talked about by Monday or Tuesday.

To say it's..weird right now, is an understatement.

It's worth noting that even though it appears that things are moving forward, it's been a week since the last upload, and the alleged cancellation was only a couple days ago, so we have no phrame of reference for how much work got done in the time between the last video and the alleged cancellation, or if it has progressed since that day at all.

Not only that, but if there are contracts in place like someone mentioned above we might be seeing work up until those contracts expire.

I refuse to believe it until I hear an announcement. I understand with the circumstances going on in LA. Let’s see how the rest of July goes.

I refuse to believe it until I hear an announcement. I understand with the circumstances going on in LA. Let’s see how the rest of July goes.
You say you understand the circumstances... yet refuse to believe the consequences of a widespread mass lack of common sense when it comes to social distancing, working and wearing a mask. Cases wont be dropping by August The 4th of July JUST happened and I would say to watch an increase in two weeks time which will only further delay the opening of USH in the first place, which has to open before HHN does. I don't see the logistics nor practicality here of any Haunt event happening in SoCal.

I think at this point I've mostly come to terms with the possibility of this happening, though I'm sure if it is formally announced the inevitable 14 month wait for the event is gonna hit a lot harder. I'll probably end up shelling out the cash to take a trip to orlando if it does get cancelled, since all things considered it would probably cost me less than travel and parking for the hollywood event would considering how often I normally go, although if I do that I'm probably gonna have to self isolate just out of responsibility and paranoia since I think the orlando event is gonna happen no matter how bad the situation gets out there, but I don't mind staying inside for two weeks if it means the wait for the event is a little bit easier to bear.

You say you understand the circumstances... yet refuse to believe the consequences of a widespread mass lack of common sense when it comes to social distancing, working and wearing a mask.

Which is scarier than anything at HHN! We live in a world where people are openly berating other people for wearing masks and throwing entitlement tantrums in public despite being on video because that’s how in the right they think they are. I shudder to think what Universal/HHN employees would have to put up with as a result, especially a few months from now when people are just getting bolder and angrier and more antagonistic to the idea of shedding selfishness for the greater good.

As much as I’d hate to lose HHN for 2020, it’s not as if the event is gone forever. And if it means not only keeping people from spreading/catching the virus but also protecting the sanity of the very workers putting themselves out there for us and our entertainment/safety from the guests who inevitably refuse to see it that way, I’m all for the event taking the year off.

While I will most likely be going to the opposite coast to go to HHN this year, it's gonna hurt really bad to see an 11-year streak be broken for me in Hollywood. Crazy to think that the public will never get to experience those mazes being built if this year does get packed up. It just sucks that virtually everything I look forward to has been scrapped. Ugggghhhh.

While I will say that the sting of this potentially not happening has worn off a bit, all I will say is that I hope they use the likely hiatus as an opportunity to restructure their budget and dynamics and come back with a vengeance next year. While I would've loved to have seen what they were going to do this year, I do NOT want them to just give us what we were supposed to get this year into next year. If Florida gets Conjuring, It, Hellraiser, and Scream next year (Just theoretically speaking here), and we get what the line up was going to be this year for '21, I will not be happy. Just eat it this year, and move on. I would've been interested in Ellish and Hollywood's iteration of Hill House and BJ, but oh well.

I am concerned that dropping the ball this year will end up putting us back into a longer hiatus. I don't think that's likely, but I fear with how "cheap" they are towards HHN in Hollywood, they may find an excuse to penny pinch after months of no income. But for the longest time, we've always complained how "Murdy" the mazes are, and how many reused props and black walls the mazes tend to have as well. Maybe this is the kick in the pants the event needs to be better. The event has bitten off more than they can chew with size. Maybe they need to realize that we need to shrink the house count a little and focus more on quality.

I understand why they may not want to do it and why they *legally* can't, but I really hate being forced to live this way. If the employees don't want to risk it, fair enough; I don't want to come across as totally ignorant here, but I would imagine there's something they could work out here, especially since the workers are union. If they want to work, great; if they're concerned, work out something. Otherwise, if guests and employees understand the risk and are willing to take necessary precautions, then the event should be allowed to go on. I feel the situation all around is ridiculous. That's all I will say without taking this thread off the rails.

I am concerned that dropping the ball this year will end up putting us back into a longer hiatus

I have the same fear. I also have the same doubts that that could happen. BUUUTTT. John has stated that he is on borrowed time with HHN and a cancellation this year could be the push for him to say F it. I really enjoyed being home with my family this year. Dwindling budgets and now the loss of money this year COULD be enough.

Now having said all that I don't think that is what will happen but it is a fear in he back of my mind.

You say you understand the circumstances... yet refuse to believe the consequences of a widespread mass lack of common sense when it comes to social distancing, working and wearing a mask. Cases wont be dropping by August The 4th of July JUST happened and I would say to watch an increase in two weeks time which will only further delay the opening of USH in the first place, which has to open before HHN does. I don't see the logistics nor practicality here of any Haunt event happening in SoCal.

I think we understand it. We can pack in at Costco, sams Club, WalMart, Target, grocery stores, the mall, etc etc. But go to a theme park. No, we can't do that.

I think we understand it. We can pack in at Costco, sams Club, WalMart, Target, grocery stores, the mall, etc etc. But go to a theme park. No, we can't do that.
This is incredibly ignorant and I hope that you never get the burden of having to say "I should have listened" when precious little HHN was worth the risk of getting a virus with no foreseeable cure in the immediate future.

Just for a moment, pretend all the Halloween events that we typically know in LA do cancel (which is actually not all that unlikely). Given the demand and dedication to Halloween/Haunt events in LA, it is not going to be the death knell of haunts for SoCal

First of all, the dedication to Halloween in SoCal is intense and huge. Midsummer Scream just keeps expanding, and would've been 3 days long this year. There's an audience very hungry for this--doesn't LA have more haunts/haunt experiences than anywhere else?--that will always return.

Second, many of those haunts will evolve to more online/socially distant experiences. I was late to the party, but I did the Arcana/Jadesintown Instagram, and it was pretty fun (you still can do it... just search for the IG account Jadesintown and start from the beginning). I also just did the first trial run of Road Trip Mysteries: Simi Knolls, and it was fun as well.

Were they as good as HHN? Of course not, but they still offered creepiness in safe ways. I don't think HHN would be able to pull that off. KSF? Maybe. Knott's has been especially clever during this shut down with their IG account having stories of Sad Eye Joe visiting and commenting on different places in the park. Knott's doesn't mind taking risks and trying new things (remember Trapped, that haunt show in the Mystery Lodge Theater, virtual experiences, and the shooter mazes?), so while unlikely, I'm not taking them out of the equation just yet of coming up with something else should they cancel.

But mainly, think of all the independent events: CreepLA, Zombie Joe Underground, Sinister Pointe, Dark Harbor (yes, I know they did cancel for this year), Delusion, Boney Island, and the myriad of home haunts in Los Angeles. I would bet a good many of them are going to evolve and find new ways to scare.

Sure, while I'd rather have a more traditional haunt, in a way, it's kind of exciting to see what some of these very talented independent people will come up with. CreepLA has the best reputation of reinventing themselves and trying new things, so I'm hoping they'll come up with something. And ZJU was already streaming online shows. Also, maybe "alone" mazes will find a way to make a comeback.

We have some of the best and cleverest effects, design, and creative people in the world, and sometimes restrictions and obstacles can result in new and more creative ideas to emerge. I think they'll find other ways to keep the spirit alive.

Last edited:
Come on, dude. Those places are open because they give you food.
This is incredibly ignorant and I hope that you never get the burden of having to say "I should have listened" when precious little HHN was worth the risk of getting a virus with no foreseeable cure in the immediate future.
Saying things like this is incredibly disrespectful to those, myself included, who've lost family members to this.

But people aren’t only going to these places for food. They’re buying sunglasses, t-shirts, printer ink and sneakers... and a whole lot of them aren’t wearing masks or keeping a distance. You know it, I know it... it is true.

The poster that you replied to is correct... there is no difference except that one makes you feel happy-ish.

Just for a moment, pretend all the Halloween events that we typically know in LA do cancel (which is actually not all that unlikely). Given the demand and dedication to Halloween/Haunt events in LA, it is not going to be the death knell of haunts for SoCal

First of all, the dedication to Halloween in SoCal is intense and huge. Midsummer Scream just keeps expanding, and would've been 3 days long this year. There's an audience very hungry for this--doesn't LA have more haunts/haunt experiences than anywhere else?--that will always return.

Second, many of those haunts will evolve to more online/socially distant experiences. I was late to the party, but I did the Arcana/Jadesintown Instagram, and it was pretty fun (you still can do it... just search for the IG account Jadesintown and start from the beginning). I also just did the first trial run of Road Trip Mysteries: Simi Knolls, and it was fun as well.

Were they as good as HHN? Of course not, but they still offered creepiness in safe ways. I don't think HHN would be able to pull that off. KSF? Maybe. Knott's has been especially clever during this shut down with their IG account having stories of Sad Eye Joe visiting and commenting on different places in the park. Knott's doesn't mind taking risks and trying new things (remember Trapped, that haunt show in the Mystery Lodge Theater, virtual experiences, and the shooter mazes?), so while unlikely, I'm not taking them out of the equation just yet of coming up with something else should they cancel.

But mainly, think of all the independent events: CreepLA, Zombie Joe Underground, Sinister Pointe, Dark Harbor (yes, I know they did cancel for this year), Delusion, Boney Island, and the myriad of home haunts in Los Angeles. I would bet a good many of them are going to evolve and find new ways to scare.

Sure, while I'd rather have a more traditional haunt, in a way, it's kind of exciting to see what some of these very talents independent people will come up with. CreepLA has the best reputation of reinventing themselves and trying new things, so I'm hoping they'll come up with something. And ZJU was already streaming online shows. Also, maybe "alone" mazes will find a way to make a comeback. We have some of the best and cleverest effects, desgin, and creative people in the world, and sometimes restrictions and obstacles can result in new and more creative ideas to emerge. I think they'll find other ways to keep the spirit alive.
You do make a point, as much as HHN hollywood has always been the neglected child in the eyes of the company, they probably know how much demand they'll be sitting on after over a full year of no HHN, or any other haunts for that matter. Cancelling HHN in hollywood permanently just because of covid would effectively be funneling hundreds of thousands in profits to the competition assuming they reopened next year. The only thing to really be worried about is independantly funded home haunts, since I expect a lot will have to scale back or end after this year due to the current economic situation.

The core audience for HHN is the under 30's that are causing most of the current spike in the US. I doubt they'd start acting responsibly just for HHN. Probably best to hold the ammo, and wait until next year to do it right, instead of a half a _ _ ed truncated version.

But people aren’t only going to these places for food. They’re buying sunglasses, t-shirts, printer ink and sneakers... and a whole lot of them aren’t wearing masks or keeping a distance. You know it, I know it... it is true.

The poster that you replied to is correct... there is no difference except that one makes you feel happy-ish.
Everything you listed are items of “need.” We need clothing, eye protection, and printer ink. While we can argue the severity of that need, and alternate ways to procure them, the purchase of material goods is not the same as buying a good feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.