Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

I feel like one thing I will give whomever is the team behind Universal's HHN houses, but they consistently shock me in how they adapt properties that I don't think are easy fits for houses into amazing houses. My first instinct is that a They Live house would be quite a challenge to make good, but I feel like they are really good at what they do and if it's true there might be 12 houses next year I feel like they can afford to be a little more risky with their choices.

I also think that scarezones need to be re-examined for next year. Chucky worked really well, but Vamp was too spread thin and the other zones were just too crowded. In the selfie age, I’m wondering if Central Park can continue to function as a scare zone?

I also think that scarezones need to be re-examined for next year. Chucky worked really well, but Vamp was too spread thin and the other zones were just too crowded. In the selfie age, I’m wondering if Central Park can continue to function as a scare zone?
Central Park didn't seem terrible when I went through

I really enjoyed the placement of Killer Klownz

The chainsaws were nice in SF and where they normally are in Springfield

I think Vamp relied too much on wowing with the two big props they made, I think it's better to have smaller props throughout

The whole park felt populated to me, I never felt like I wasn't out of a scarezone

Central Park didn't seem terrible when I went through

I really enjoyed the placement of Killer Klownz

The chainsaws were nice in SF and where they normally are in Springfield

I think Vamp relied too much on wowing with the two big props they made, I think it's better to have smaller props throughout

The whole park felt populated to me, I never felt like I wasn't out of a scarezone

You would be the minority.

I’m sorry but the best use of 3D in an IP house would be for They Live. Imagine the facade being the church and they hand out the glasses there. Make the masks of the aliens chromadepth so they pop out from their clothes. There would be so much material for a house like that.
(And this is what I get for skipping a page on the forums lol. Didn’t realize this was already brought up.)

guys... a They Live 3D house would be bare of props and would use painted walls heavily.... would be like Dead Exposure but with the lights on....................
do we really want that???

I still hope they go with a dedicated selfie zone--Beetlejuice Square would work. Something resembling traditional zones can still work on a wide street like Rodeo or in NY, but I agree, Central Park may be better left actor-free. If the crowd leaving FFL is no longer going to be a problem, that back stretch from MiB to Jaws bathroom might work.

Isn't killer klowns just going to be big, not scary guys in puffy suits, moving slowly and popping out at people and waving?

What the appeal of jamming this into a house after the "scare" zone was basically just a character meet and greet?

I was super disappointed after all the love that zone had prior to the actual event. A house just seems like more of the same. What am I missing?

I still hope they go with a dedicated selfie zone--Beetlejuice Square would work. Something resembling traditional zones can still work on a wide street like Rodeo or in NY, but I agree, Central Park may be better left actor-free. If the crowd leaving FFL is no longer going to be a problem, that back stretch from MiB to Jaws bathroom might work.

I agree. Either a selfie zone or a dedicated indoor space treated like another house dedicated for pictures would be a great option and then make the scare zones selfie free. Don't know if it's possible to go back after so many years of pictures being a staple in the scare zones, but I wish they would at least try.

I think each should have:

Selfie Zone (Production Central)
Scariest/Darkest (Central Park... but this year showed me they need to expand it to Mel's courtyard)
NY/Hollywood (Fun or Chaotic, both can't be the same)
NY Harbor or San Fran (I think they need to move the zone back to San Fran and expand it towards Richter's, unique zone that's can lean fun or scary).

If executed correctly, yes?

i dont know..... i rather have a full house like blumhouse with real sets and real props of They Live than get a minimalist house with the glasses gimmick....

i would rather get they live in the style of the shining.

I agree. Either a selfie zone or a dedicated indoor space treated like another house dedicated for pictures would be a great option and then make the scare zones selfie free. Don't know if it's possible to go back after so many years of pictures being a staple in the scare zones, but I wish they would at least try.

every other event at Universal allows you to take pictures with the actors. every other holiday celebration or performance allows you to take pics of the actors...... except hhn. if you think about it, right now with the age of instagram and twitter and every human having a camera with the at all times.

the old style of scarezones are very outdated and it has not adapted to the new generation. im not saying the zones need to be FULLY selfie stations and im not saying the actors should not scare.

But i think a more easier way to fix the selfie problem is having each zone have a couple of actors that are Just for selfies. these actors can pose and everything and they dont need to scare, and then the rest of the cast can scare everyone else OR stop for selfies if they wanted to

the pumpkins on stilts this year were basically the selfie go to for everyone on both zones, both in traditions and harvest. everyone went to them to take pics. maybe this needs to be a permanent thing

but either way, every single other event at uni or disney lets you take pictures with the workers. besides you go to the houses to get scared. thats always been the deal, you get scared in the houses and the streets are to have more fun.

Isn't killer klowns just going to be big, not scary guys in puffy suits, moving slowly and popping out at people and waving?

What the appeal of jamming this into a house after the "scare" zone was basically just a character meet and greet?

I was super disappointed after all the love that zone had prior to the actual event. A house just seems like more of the same. What am I missing?

easy, it would be the comedy house of the year, it would be like sinema or something comedic like that

also the movie has a lot of cool indoor sets like the spaceship or the jail house or the carnival area at the end. theres a lot to appreciate from the movie that would make it a colorful and fun house

The question is what replaces AOV at this point? If legal won't approve a parody show, I don't see what else but AoV would be the big show
Everyone forgets the role of a lawyer. A lawyer works for their client. Not the other way around. An executive needs to tell legal to “figure out how we CAN do it” and not be told “you can’t.” It’s a cop out for them to say that legal told them no.

Enough credible people are saying that's the case for me. The question is *why* they did it, which doesn't seem to be known.
Laziness and lack of creativity by the legal team. Cowards.

ETA:

It’s quite amazing. SNL airs a 1.5 hour parody/sketch comedy show weekly to millions with no problem! They could even brand the HHN show after SNL and have David Pumpkins host.

Last edited:
i dont know..... i rather have a full house like blumhouse with real sets and real props of They Live than get a minimalist house with the glasses gimmick....

But every house doesn't need that to be successful. Scary is scary. Fun is Fun.

They have had great success in the past with minimalist house - e.g. Dead Exposure, In-Between, House of Horrors, and to some degree Asylum in Wonderland.

Everyone forgets the role of a lawyer. A lawyer works for their client. Not the other way around. An executive needs to tell legal to “figure out how we CAN do it” and not be told “you can’t.” It’s a cop out for them to say that legal told them no.

Laziness and lack of creativity by the legal team. Cowards.
Except, law isn't really a field for creativity and outside the box thinking - especially when it comes to rights law. And the legal departments function isn't to provide solutions to problems, it's to provide interpretations of laws, contracts, etc, so they can protect an organization.

So, yes, the legal department of any organization can say "You can't" do something. They can also say, "That opens the company up to liability concerns," or, "That infringes on this statute," or "The rights holder refuses to agree to terms."

They can find loopholes, but that's research (not creativity). If the loopholes don't exist, then they ARE working for the client by saying "You can't."