Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

tYcu5aH.jpg

That head and mouth are definitely inspiration. If you see the movie, the house feels like a full adaptation

So I tweeted a couple weeks ago, putting HHN 29 in the "top tier" of the New Era of Horror, along with 21 and 25. I was met with some derision (which is cool, whole point of posting was to stir up debate).

Now that we're done, of the 10 houses, even the consensus 9th has unironic defenders. A mostly consensus middle-of-the-pack house took HotY. And the consensus 10th house had the longest lines every night.

This really was the strongest house line-up in event history. Doesn't mean every house scratched your particular horror itch--but each house did that for a lot of fans. Throw in two great shows, and the ancillary support (food booths, HHN store, signage), I stand by my statement, even with the pitiful zones.

I'm guessing you're psyched for 33? :dance:

This really was the strongest house line-up in event history. Doesn't mean every house scratched your particular horror itch--but each house did that for a lot of fans. Throw in two great shows, and the ancillary support (food booths, HHN store, signage), I stand by my statement, even with the pitiful zones.
Maybe the most diverse, but strongest? 2007 would like a word.

Jack's Funhouse in Clown-O-Vision
A Nightmare on Elm Street: Dreamwalkers
Friday the 13th: Camp Blood
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Flesh Wounds
Dead Silence: The Curse of Mary Shaw
PsychoScareapy: Home for the Holidays
The Thing: Assimilation
Vampyr: Blood Bath

I’d argue 2002 or 2008 had just as diverse lineups.

Big reason I loved 18 so much.

I hope that the more family friendly stuff will (continue to) be balanced out by scary stuff.

Random question: you say you've been to six years, but I've only seen you mention going to five (12-14, 20-21). What was the sixth?

Big reason I loved 18 so much.

I hope that the more family friendly stuff will (continue to) be balanced out by scary stuff.

Random question: you say you've been to six years, but I've only seen you mention going to five (12-14, 20-21). What was the sixth?

Well, that’s a new wrinkle. It definitely wasn’t like that for us.
Last year was the first time they started trophies (winners got insane wooden pumpkin trophies in Harvest last year, for example) and I think some time in between 22 and 27 is when they added first dibs at auditions. I did 22 and it wasn’t around then, but come 27 everyone was talking about it as if it was something to be expecting.

I'm guessing you're psyched for 33? :dance:

Definitely. Unfortunately both those years were followed up by less than stellar line-ups the next year.

Sorry, tweet made clearer I'm only talking "The New Era of Horror" from 2010 on. I've given up trying to rank the whole event. At a certain point, my nostalgia for 2005 and (absolutely) 2007 starts to cloud my judgment. I'll probably re-set again a couple years into the HHN30s.

Sorry, tweet made clearer I'm only talking "The New Era of Horror" from 2010 on. I've given up trying to rank the whole event. At a certain point, my nostalgia for 2005 and (absolutely) 2007 starts to cloud my judgment. I'll probably re-set again a couple years into the HHN30s.
Okay, that makes more sense. I can see that argument.

So I tweeted a couple weeks ago, putting HHN 29 in the "top tier" of the New Era of Horror, along with 21 and 25. I was met with some derision (which is cool, whole point of posting was to stir up debate).

Now that we're done, of the 10 houses, even the consensus 9th has unironic defenders. A mostly consensus middle-of-the-pack house took HotY. And the consensus 10th house had the longest lines every night.

Sorry, I still think you’re nuts. If 22 wasn’t such and out-and-put stinker, 29 would be vying for my worst year ever award. Four outright bad IP houses, one that was entertaining but not the least bit scary, and only two houses that I’d rank good, maybe not even great. I’m glad this one is in the rear view mirror

Sorry, I still think you’re nuts. If 22 wasn’t such and out-and-put stinker, 29 would be vying for my worst year ever award. Four outright bad IP houses, one that was entertaining but not the least bit scary, and only two houses that I’d rank good, maybe not even great. I’m glad this one is in the rear view mirror

Definitely going to have to agree more with 71 here, on both this year and last year.

I think I'm somewhere between the pair of you. Two houses that were absolutely made for me, three that were great to very good, and five that were okay but I didn't need to do but four or five times each, an excellent lagoon show, my favorite scare zone of all time in Hellbilly, and an AOV that was presentable. 8/10, would HHN again

I think I'm somewhere between the pair of you. Two houses that were absolutely made for me, three that were great to very good, and five that were okay but I didn't need to do but four or five times each, an excellent lagoon show, my favorite scare zone of all time in Hellbilly, and an AOV that was presentable. 8/10, would HHN again

Marathon of Mayhem is the only thing in the year I’ll miss. Monsters and Graveyard were the only two houses I’d consider above average. Ghostbusters and Stranger Things were two of the worst houses I’ve ever been through for how much I enjoy their properties