Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

but. as far as the 90s go? can you think of something iconic or great about the 90s? specially in horror? or something that defines the decade? a style that defines the decade or elements from movies that define it?

obviously the 90s had some great movies like Dracula or candyman or interview with the vampire
but most of the 90s it was bad sequels to horror movies from the 80s or movies trying to rip off scream like "I know what you did last summer"
im looking at the google results for "90s horror movies" and most of them aren't winners, or even remembered fondly. its mostly sequels
how would a 90s event work? and what was the style of the 90s? the 80s style is very easy to define. the clothing, the music, the movies, but the 90s? Grunge? Marilyn Manson? Nu Metal like KORN and Limp Bizkit? Jnco Jeans, Ska Music, skater culture,
Boy bands, backstreetboys and britney etc, reality tv,

90s was really not the best time for horror or for the culture. 90s was kind of weird. FRIENDS was the biggest show on tv, SEINFELD. you had spice girls. the Real World. the boy bands. rap was getting bigger. i honestly, cannot think how the 90s would be incorporated for HHN as the theme lol

To me, it wouldn’t be full 90s...but late 80s as well, and again this year’s theme was 80s but not wholly. It’s just the spirit of the era in which they said they wanted to continue.

Stranger Things 2
Killer Klowns
Hellraiser
Scream
Tales from the Crypt
And if you really want to get crazy...Silence of the Lambs or Se7en

There’s your IPs right there, not including the likelihood of Zombieland or Child’s Play

Se7en could be amazing and dark and twisted.
That movie feels tailor made for a hhn house. The sin rooms already feel like they would belong in a hhn house.

We had silence of the lambs at hhn already so it already has a little bit of history.

And here I thought Bill and Ted’s biggest problem was the NSFW jokes. At Howl O Scream this year, there were multiple warnings before the Fiends show that much of the content would be considered offensive. Considering how big of an influence political correctness is having on society, I wouldn’t be surprised if that show gets the boot within a few years as well.

It was just said it was threats of lawsuits using IP by others, but let’s keep tilting at windmills of “PC culture”!

I really am hoping they fix the scarezones with 29. They're way too congested now. This year they felt like cosplay conventions with a bunch of people standing around talking and taking selfies (KKFOS!!!). They need to make them bigger, spread them out, and not allow obnoxious selfie behavior. A quick selfie is fine but when it's group photoshoots and it stops the flow of traffic, it becomes a problem.

But... how? What’s that other option?

Do you guys think WB would ever allow IT to make an appearance at HHN? For 29 I'd love to see IT and The Nun.

It was just said it was threats of lawsuits using IP by others, but let’s keep tilting at windmills of “PC culture”!

This right here. I read every complaint about "PC culture" as "I want permission to act like a jackass/racist/bigot without being called out for it." I'm sick of hearing about it in the HHN fandom.

I'd rather it not. Let's get some better stuff in the event like Suspiria or The Fly.
I don't know if we saw the same movie. It would make an AMAZING house.

On another note, is there an IP better suited for a 3d house than Killer Klowns? The color palette is made for the chromadepth style 3D that Universal uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if we saw the same movie. It would make an AMAZING house.
There is nothing about that movie that really scares me, or makes me interested in seeing a house version of that particular film. I'm not about loud noise, scary image/ jumpscare trend in modern horror. I'm all about dread and feeling uncomfortable ala The Shining, Hereditary, Suspiria (2018), Inland Empire, etc. Obviously I understand that most movies do not translate into houses, but that's my personal taste. I still appreciate slasher houses and most seem to be tired of those so :shrug:

This right here. I read every complaint about "PC culture" as "I want permission to act like a jackass/racist/bigot without being called out for it." I'm sick of hearing about it in the HHN fandom.

I wasn't trying to take a swipe at PC Culture, so I'm sorry if you guys took it that way. As I stated in my original post, I was mistaken on why Bill and Ted was retired. I remember it was cancelled in California back in 2013 over a joke that many didn't appreciate, so I just assumed that the Orlando team didn't want to keep risking have the same thing happen to them.

There is nothing about that movie that really scares me, or makes me interested in seeing a house version of that particular film. I'm not about loud noise, scary image/ jumpscare trend in modern horror. I'm all about dread and feeling uncomfortable ala The Shining, Hereditary, Suspiria (2018), Inland Empire, etc. Obviously I understand that most movies do not translate into houses, but that's my personal taste. I still appreciate slasher houses and most seem to be tired of those so :shrug:
Yea that's understandable, but the event is catering to more people than just you. I think having the title of number one grossing horror film of all time holds more weight.

I'm not a huge fan of It (the Curry or Skarsgard versions) but even I think It could be distilled down to a pretty scary house.

That said, I too enjoy just plain dread. Seeds did this perfectly for me. There are, of course, instances of combining "jumpscares" with dread. Laugh at me all you want, but I think the first FNAF does this very well, I think it builds an atmosphere of dread masterfully. (Doesn't mean I want FNAF to come anywhere near Horror Nights, but I'd love an original version!)

are you talking about IT or the nun?

So let me get a better understanding. Properties that are not owned by Universal have a slim to none chance of being included in the events? I'm still new to the speculation game.

After the success of the zone and the proposed TV series I wouldn't be surprised if Chucky is back.

Especially with the launch of the reboot movie due as well it will no doubt garner some attention.

When you factor in merchandise I would say Stranger Things 2 is absolutely guaranteed as surely Netflix made a pretty penny from that.

Could we see Slaughterhouse Sinema 2 - the sequel? Most B movies usually got a sequel that went camper and gorier. They could use Ghoulies or Tremors to fill the Critter void and then you have the likes of Chopping Mall and Reaninmator to go at not to mention Universal just having fun with made up films.

So let me get a better understanding. Properties that are not owned by Universal have a slim to none chance of being included in the events? I'm still new to the speculation game.

Warner Bros. is doing their own haunt event now, which depending on who you bekieve may kibosh future use of WB properties at HHN. Fox has been bought by Disney, which again depending on who you believe may kibosh Fox properties similarly. That's two out of the big five, which is a hell of a chunk.