Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Sorry, I still think you’re nuts. If 22 wasn’t such and out-and-put stinker, 29 would be vying for my worst year ever award. Four outright bad IP houses, one that was entertaining but not the least bit scary, and only two houses that I’d rank good, maybe not even great. I’m glad this one is in the rear view mirror
I think the issue with HHN 29 was it was more of the same with lessened impact.

There is a brand and then there is repeating yourself over and over again

Graveyard was not as good as Winters Night
Universal Monsters was not as good as Dracula or Frankenstein from 2009
Stranger Things 2 was not as good as Stranger Things 1

etc

Last edited by a moderator:

etc
This is a really good description. This was the first year I felt like the event was stale

Sorry, I still think you’re nuts. If 22 wasn’t such and out-and-put stinker, 29 would be vying for my worst year ever award. Four outright bad IP houses, one that was entertaining but not the least bit scary, and only two houses that I’d rank good, maybe not even great. I’m glad this one is in the rear view mirror

I don't agree with both of you. :lol:

This year is somewhere in the middle. The worst house this year is still better than the likes of Blumhouse Chapter 2, Afterlife, Chance, Dracula: Untold, etc.

etc

Not that I entirely disagree with you, but the average person going to HHN probably hasn't experienced those houses. We can't exactly roast them too much on that.

Last edited:
I don't agree with both of you. :lol:

This year is somewhere in the middle. The worst house this year is still better than the likes of Blumhouse Chapter 2, Afterlife, Chance, Dracula: Untold, etc.

sure, but none of them were based on Ghostbusters and Stranger Things. I’m also not convinced Stranger Things was better than any of those

But that shifts now onto the expectations vs end result. Chance was just outright bad. Ghostbusters seems to be a letdown for you.
Oh no, I think Ghostbusters was outright bad. Better than Chance? Yea, probably. But it was still a bad house devoid of scares and if you had bad timing you could miss basically every actor in the house, as I did multiple times

Not that I entirely disagree with you, but the average person going to HHN probably hasn't experienced those houses. We can't exactly roast them too much on that.
ST has brought a ton of new people which is great for HHN to stay popular....Unfortunately it has brought a ton of new people.

I applaud those houses more for their originality and ability to stay fresh in my mind still to this day.

Oh no, I think Ghostbusters was outright bad. Better than Chance? Yea, probably. But it was still a bad house devoid of scares and if you had bad timing you could miss basically every actor in the house, as I did multiple times
That was my problem with Ghostbusters. Had an excellent run the first time hit every scare, the second time however literally missed everything.

That was my problem with Ghostbusters. Had an excellent run the first time hit every scare, the second time however literally missed everything.

this is not unique to ghostbusters, i understand not liking the house, but this specific problem is not unique to GB.
besides we have always had comedy houses, perhaps GB just needs to be seen as the comedy house together with killer klowns

this is not unique to ghostbusters, i understand not liking the house, but this specific problem is not unique to GB.
besides we have always had comedy houses, perhaps GB just needs to be seen as the comedy house together with killer klowns
The first "comedy" house was Creatures! in 2008 (the PsychoScarepy houses were never presented as "comedy").

In last twelve years since, there have been eight "comedy" houses (including Creatures and Ghostbusters). There are a couple that you could argue are comedy (like "Giggles and Gore"), and plenty with funny scenes (but that's just horror in general), but not many in the history of the event have boldly put "comedy" in the elevator pitch.

Creatures!
Leave it to Cleaver
ZombieGeddon
H.R. Bloodengutz
Penn & Teller
Ash vs the Evil Dead
Slaughter Cinema
Ghostbusters

The first "comedy" house was Creatures! in 2008 (the PsychoScarepy houses were never presented as "comedy").

In last twelve years since, there have been eight "comedy" houses (including Creatures and Ghostbusters). There are a couple that you could argue are comedy (like "Giggles and Gore"), and plenty with funny scenes (but that's just horror in general), but not many in the history of the event have boldly put "comedy" in the elevator pitch.

Creatures!
Leave it to Cleaver
ZombieGeddon
H.R. Bloodengutz
Penn & Teller
Ash vs the Evil Dead
Slaughter Cinema
Ghostbusters

i expected chance to be on the list lol.

I've been going to the event for 9 years. Ghostbusters was the house with the least amount of scareactors I can remember, leading the problem to be way worse in GB than any house I've seen before

As for the "comedy house" designation, my first year had HR Bloodngutz and last year had Slaughter Sinema, houses that absolutely wipe the floor with Ghostbusters, and neither of which had large dead spaces like GB.

I've been going to the event for 9 years. Ghostbusters was the house with the least amount of scareactors I can remember, leading the problem to be way worse in GB than any house I've seen before

As for the "comedy house" designation, my first year had HR Bloodngutz and last year had Slaughter Sinema, houses that absolutely wipe the floor with Ghostbusters, and neither of which had large dead spaces like GB.

The first couple weeks of the house were really strong, but that was before effects started breaking and actors left. Unfortunately, you can only judge what you experience. They need to rely on the actors instead of the effects for scares. Effects have their place, but used supplementarily.

The first couple weeks of the house were really strong, but that was before effects started breaking and actors left. Unfortunately, you can only judge what you experience. They need to rely on the actors instead of the effects for scares. Effects have their place, but used supplementarily.

Agreed. I think Klowns was a much stronger house like what they were aiming for with GB. Klowns had some effects here and there (Klownzilla >>>>>>> Stay Puft), but it was mostly actors in suits.

I've been going to the event for 9 years. Ghostbusters was the house with the least amount of scareactors I can remember, lea worst ding the problem to be way worse in GB than any house I've seen before

how many times did you see ghostbusters?

Agreed. I think Klowns was a much stronger house like what they were aiming for with GB. Klowns had some effects here and there (Klownzilla >>>>>>> Stay Puft), but it was mostly actors in suits.
''

to be honest i never had a terrible run, i never saw too many empty spots, the effects worked every time i went,
i had worst runs on Us and depths of fear, much much worst on depths.