Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

What other haunts? HHN basically has a monopoly. Howl O Scream is all the way in Tampa, and is directed more towards locals. I'm sure lots of tourists are put off by the idea of having to travel back to Orlando at 2AM for an hour long drive. Florida does have local haunts, but the majority of them have fans that will visit HHN no matter what. I wish Florida had competition like in SoCal between Six Flags, Uni and Knotts.
It's what Orlando needs, competition. I feel more like people won't think it's worth it and will spend time at home watching horror movies instead. I just feel like it will happen. I may be wrong (most likely am) but I can just see the event imploding with only diehards left 'cause everyone else just got tired. Personally I may be going to Howl-o-Scream soon. I go to HHN for haunts, not IPs.

It's what Orlando needs, competition. I feel more like people won't think it's worth it and will spend time at home watching horror movies instead. I just feel like it will happen. I may be wrong (most likely am) but I can just see the event imploding with only diehards left 'cause everyone else just got tired. Personally I may be going to Howl-o-Scream soon. I go to HHN for haunts, not IPs.

I don't think HHN intends to be the "scariest" just the most fun. Howl o Scream can be more intense with it's pulsing but they can because it's not as busy. HHN doesn't need to rely on haunt fans to do well, they make a very small percentage of attendance. I don't think people will be tired of HHN cause every year they get new material and it's only around for 2 months.

I don't think HHN intends to be the "scariest" just the most fun. Howl o Scream can be more intense with it's pulsing but they can because it's not as busy. HHN doesn't need to rely on haunt fans to do well, they make a very small percentage of attendance. I don't think people will be tired of HHN cause every year they get new material and it's only around for 2 months.

To be fair, HOS has had the advantage over HHN of being able to pulse people for what, 15 years now? Even though HHN certainly wasn't as crowded back then, conga lines are nothing new. I've heard they were pulsing people on 10/30. So even though I wouldn't attend premium nights (couldn't afford it) I'm strongly in favor of establishing them so that Uni can pulse people.

What other haunts? HHN basically has a monopoly. Howl O Scream is all the way in Tampa, and is directed more towards locals. I'm sure lots of tourists are put off by the idea of having to travel back to Orlando at 2AM for an hour long drive. Florida does have local haunts, but the majority of them have fans that will visit HHN no matter what. I wish Florida had competition like in SoCal between Six Flags, Uni and Knotts.
It's what Orlando needs, competition. I feel more like people won't think it's worth it and will spend time at home watching horror movies instead. I just feel like it will happen. I may be wrong (most likely am) but I can just see the event imploding with only diehards left 'cause everyone else just got tired. Personally I may be g
I guess it will be a wait and see game. If the crowds are this bad every year, I will stop attending, and I know many in the same boat. HHN might be popular, but implosions happen to those that are too popular. Either way, I feel that's why premium nights are being consider, 'cause they see the writing on the wall and they must act now. Crowds levels were the biggest complaint this year. You don't think Universal heard them?

Yeah, I'm hoping they do some good crowd control this year. Open a few more attractions, do some more shows to disperse the crowd. Last year felt like the busiest I've ever seen it, I even had express and the lines felt long.

I really really hope they do Premium Nights. Me and my husband will gladly pay to have pulsing and lower crowds.

We go multiple nights 'cause we want to see and soak in as much HHN as possible before we have to wait till the next year. It shouldn't be a requirement to see everything though. It's just getting ridiculous. It's why I hope Premium Nights happen. They're making me wanna go to Howl-O-Scream.

I went to howl o scream with express in 2018 and geeees was I disappointed. I’m not sure how you can compare the two but that’s just my opinion.

Universal is weirdly inflating crowds itself... I mean I know you all love it and we are grateful this year to be getting a free 2nd night ticket, but the funny thing is we did not look into getting a second night. It's just part of the deal. We are grateful to have it because it will make our HHN experience less stressful and more enjoyable, but we would only be in the parks once if they didn't give us a free ticket... Now we will be int he parks twice. How many other folks would only go once if they werent' giving them all BOGO tickets. Also all the random varieties of season passes. If they wanted to keep crowds down they could put restrictions on tickets, but I feel like hitting capacity every night is more of a goal?

Definitely agree here. HoS is a fun event, but, in my opinion, HHN is significantly more intense (even with HoS pulsing through houses).

For me it’s not even the intensity that I find better it’s the immersion. Regardless of ability to pulse, and quality of scareactors, if the immersion isn’t there then it’s just not going to be that scary for me. Also if the houses are extremely well detailed and immersive that can excuse poor scare acting, or lack of inventive scares/pulsing etc.

How many other folks would only go once if they werent' giving them all BOGO tickets. Also all the random varieties of season passes. If they wanted to keep crowds down they could put restrictions on tickets, but I feel like hitting capacity every night is more of a goal?

This is a great point. If they were really concerned with "feel bads" that might come with capacity crowds, they probably would have adjusted the BOGO deal.

Thinking of what the possible strategy is, perhaps they want to keep up positive word of mouth, but realize trying to manage the crowd is a lost cause, so instead of trying to work on making the event more efficient they figure just give everyone more tickets so they are happy. :shrug:

That's why I've shifted to attending multiple nights. Express is still worth it for those visiting one night, but on busy nights Express can be long.

I've only been twice (27 and 28), and last year we got Express and were able to get through all of the houses on opening night, but we were also rushing to hit the last one. Makes RIP, if it can be afforded, a very attractive option.

I would imagine that they could continue adding nights, which would help spread out people's vacations. I don't know the ratio of locals to out-of-towners for HHN, though, so maybe that wouldn't make as much of a difference as I imagine.

Ok I was being dramatic and a bit sensational but I believe it will happen. Again, even crowds get sick of crowds eventually.

Easy to say that, but show me one real world example in Orlando. As Legacy said, crazy HHN crowds date back to at least 2011 (I remember it being busy long before that, although admittedly not so early in the event's run, and rarely on Thursdays). 70k people still crowd into MK each day during Christmas week, to the point they think they can charge $150 a ticket this year. One could argue you know you've made it in the Orlando theme park game when guests can barely pass thru your streets.

Re: competition. I agree it's always a good thing for guests. And I think pretty much anyone--Sea World, Fun Spot, one of the bigger OCCC hotels--could become an instant player by partnering with WB. I can't believe the plan is to limit that to LA forever.

Yeah, I'm hoping they do some good crowd control this year. Open a few more attractions, do some more shows to disperse the crowd.

Problem is finding things that will attract guests. Had private rides on Kang & Kodos and a private show in Olivanders in HHN back when they were open. Just because they are open doesn't mean the AP-heavy crowd will ride them.

I went to howl o scream with express in 2018 and geeees was I disappointed. I’m not sure how you can compare the two but that’s just my opinion.
Crowds ruin HHN for me. I still go, but I nay not for long. HHN is a better event due to budget, but the crowds make it null and void sometimes.

For me it’s not even the intensity that I find better it’s the immersion. Regardless of ability to pulse, and quality of scareactors, if the immersion isn’t there then it’s just not going to be that scary for me. Also if the houses are extremely well detailed and immersive that can excuse poor scare acting, or lack of inventive scares/pulsing etc.
That's my problem though. HHN is so immersive and detailed but with the crowds, the immersion has started to break.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think at this point I am just ranting. I am taking my grandparents to HHN this year for their first time. If the crowds ruin it for them, I may be done with going to HHN. It's ridiculous to pay that much for the ability to play bumper cars with people in the streets. I don't care if HoS is less immersive, HHN isn't immersive for me anymore when all I see is normal people.