Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 134 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just hope they bring it to the event. If not it’ll be fine but it’s such a big hit for Universal that I’d honestly be surprised if they passed it up

Here's the challenge about using movies that come out the year of an event - houses are designed and (typically) approved before the films are released. Now, when it's something where the production is managed by a studio Universal has a good relationship with (Universal Pictures/Blumhouse), the designers can get access to scripts/images/designs in advance to where they can create and get approval without seeing the film.

If they don't have that relationship, they have to wait for the release of the finished product. Establishing that with Monkeypaw may take a bit of time. It's a new company, and Jordan Peele is swamped.

Here's the challenge about using movies that come out the year of an event - houses are designed and (typically) approved before the films are released. Now, when it's something where the production is managed by a studio Universal has a good relationship with (Universal Pictures/Blumhouse), the designers can get access to scripts/images/designs in advance to where they can create and get approval without seeing the film.

If they don't have that relationship, they have to wait for the release of the finished product. Establishing that with Monkeypaw may take a bit of time. It's a new company, and Jordan Peele is swamped.

Yup.

With everything he and his production company is doing right now (Us, Twilight Zone, Candyman, Lovecraft Country, E.T.C.); there is a lot of moving parts that Peele is having to attend towards. Things that might push the likes of forming a proper relationship for the likes of HHN down to be a bit off.

However..Jason Blum is the wildcard in this circumstance. He seemingly has a lot of respect and love to the event; and it's very possible that he could be the needle that pushes Universal and Monkeypaw/Peele to bring Us to the event.

I am not getting hopes, but I don't think it's impossible with Blum's involvement with the event in the past 5 years.

Is there ever a chance for a Twilight Zone house due to Tower or Terror?
Possible for USH maybe. Pretty sure WDW having theme park rights prohibits any use at HHN.

Honestly, might as well just go for Black Mirror though if they wanted an anthology series like this to be at the event.

Reactions: youhow2
Add me to the list of people that saw Us and I can’t imagine Universal not trying to get it to HHN sooner or later.

I also don’t see how it would be difficult to execute imo, the guests don’t necessarily have to be the doppelgängers.

I saw the film as well. I think it has HHN potential, it just may take a little stretch of the imagination on the part of A&D. Wouldn’t require any more abstract thinking than properties like The Shining or The Exorcist imho.

Edit: Or Poltergeist for that matter.

Reactions: Allison
So this isn't for this year, but what are the chances they decide not to use Body Collectors again, out of fear of angering Disney--since they're HEAVILY inspired by a Fox-owned property? I'm kinda hoping for a Terra Cruentas house and zone at 30 (NOT THE WHOLE EVENT, before someone says something), but it wouldn't be TC without them.

EDIT: Thanks @Brian G. for answering my question. :)

Last edited:
But...dopplegangers...the whole point is things that look just like you...not quite the same as The Exorcist or Poltergeist, or The Shining. Maybe they could make a "victim" house where you are the spectator but nothing else.

Reactions: ChaseTuff
So this isn't for this year, but what are the chances they decide not to use Body Collectors again, out of fear of angering Disney--since they're HEAVILY inspired by a Fox-owned property? I'm kinda hoping for a Terra Cruentas house and zone at 30 (NOT THE WHOLE EVENT, before someone says something), but it wouldn't be TC without them.

They’ll be fine.

But...dopplegangers...the whole point is things that look just like you...not quite the same as The Exorcist or Poltergeist, or The Shining. Maybe they could make a "victim" house where you are the spectator but nothing else.
I get what you are saying but after you seen the movie it makes sense how they can use it.
Since they’re dopplegangers for everyone and the white family dopplegangers also tried to kill the black family

Last edited:
Fair enough. I see your point. Curious to see if they will have Us or a Horrors of Blumhouse. Maybe both. Or they somehow lump it into Blumhouse.

I get what you are saying but after you seen the movie it makes sense how they can use it.
Since they’re dopplegangers for everyone and the white family dopplegangers also tried to kill the black family

After reading that spoiler, I don’t think they would touch Us with a ten foot pole. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Darko
After reading that spoiler, I don’t think they would touch Us with a ten foot pole. Hope I’m wrong.

It's really not like that; the white family had just gotten killed by their doppelgangers by the time the black family got to their house (they were trying to get help). It's pretty much stated that everyone in the US is getting a doppelganger, and they're all trying to kill their originals.

There's white and black doppelgangers at different points in the movie, it's really not about race.

Although, they don’t necessarily have to depict exactly what occurs in the film.

I think @Kinchkinet85 ’s point was just that the doppelgängers attacking you don’t need to look like you, not necessarily that the house would depict the white “tethered” attacking the main black characters.

Last edited:
It's really not like that; the white family had just gotten killed by their doppelgangers by the time the black family got to their house (they were trying to get help). It's pretty much stated that everyone in the US is getting a doppelganger, and they're all trying to kill their originals.

There's white and black doppelgangers at different points in the movie, it's really not about race.

Although, they don’t necessarily have to depict exactly what occurs in the film.

I think @Kinchkinet85 ’s point was just that the doppelgängers attacking you don’t need to look like you, not necessarily that the house would depict the white “tethered” attacking the main black characters.
Just becouse the movie is by Peele doesn’t mean it’s about race, in fact Peele said it’s not in an interview.

Us would even work as a SZ.

In a SZ they could just do the Santa Cruz Boardwalk (where have I discussed this before?!?!!!), play the Luniz remix, NWA, “Good Vibrations” and do the Hands Across America intermittently. Simple.

And a house could even just be a book report walk through. Start with the fun house and go through the initial home invasion, all the kills at Elizabeth Moss’ house, the underground tunnels. Again, easy, imo.

It’s a Universal property, I’m sure it’s already making a killing, it’s PC (imo), and it’s an easily adaptable concept. Maybe I’m the one oversimplifying it but for me it ticks more boxes for the positive than negative.

I know it’s only been out a couple of days now but y’all really need to watch the movie. I think some opinions would change.

There is so much potential for us. (Repost from hollywood thread, but it also fits here)
You could enter through the family house and go through the living room, have a scare by abraham with his baseball bat. Enter into a closet, and have a unmasked pluto as a scare. Enter into another facade to the tylers house, with tex as a scare. Enter into the foyer, with lo and nix as scares. The bedroom would have Dahlia cutting her face open. Have a small outdoor area with a car scare. You can also have a small town section with a pluto dummy, and red popping out from between a dumpster. You can then have a mirror maze transition into the lab, with that hallway with all of those rabbits. You can have a small room with Adelaides and reds fight, but that`ll might be to difficult to translate into a maze. Then you can end it with all of those clones holding hands, of course some will jump out to scare.

I'm still on my quest to match all the code names to house locations, so here's my latest attempt. I'm basing it on three rules:
  1. "Food Can't Touch" - Jerky, Salt, and Chicken are all a different location type
  2. "Alien" - Back when the Alien house was rumored to be a thing, it was suggested that Onyx is a better fit than Pressure. My assumption is you need more space for an Alien house, so Onyx will always be a larger house type than Pressure.
  3. "2 Out of 3" - My last guess placed Onyx and Hysteria in Soundstages, and Pressure in a Parade building. Legacy said two out of these three locations were wrong, so two need to be in a new location.
So, here's my new guess:
  • Soundstage - Jerky - Confirmed by Insiders
  • Soundstage - Onyx or Hysteria - "2 out of 3" rule
  • Soundstage - Drill - Process of Elimination
  • Soundstage - Dog - Process of Elimination
  • Parade - Chicken or Salt - "Food Can't Touch" rule
  • Parade - Onyx or Hysteria - "2 out of 3" rule
  • Shrek - Cotton - Confirmed by Insiders
  • Tent - Pit - Confirmed by Insiders
  • Tent - Chicken or Salt - "Food Can't Touch" rule
  • Tent - Pressure - Only location to satisfy both "2 out of 3" and "Alien" rules
I have some guesses about IPs and what goes where but I want to make sure I'm at least on the right track with locations first before I complicate things more.

This is a high quality post.

Final location clues then. One for each of your either/ors.

"Madness returns."
"Fast food packaging."
My locations attempt due to the above posts by @kingmantis and @Legacy.

• Hysteria in Soundstage 22 as last year StrTh was
• Jerky in a Soundstage
• Dog in a Soundstage
• Drill in a Soundstage
• Cotton in Shrek(May move if Sherk closes)
• Onyx in Parade
• Salt in Parade
• Pit in a Tent
• Pressure in a Tent
• Chicken in a Tent

That’s my attempt at locations.