Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 183 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wonder how far they can push the edge with hellraiser. The movie was heavy with s&m and sexual themes from memory. Will still be cool to see how many of the cenobites get done well, as they really weren’t the focus until the sequels.

Reactions: Kadath and Darko
I still don't understand the fear of HHN going family friendly. Still bothers me. I mean the event in the past had houses based on both Brendan Fraser Mummy movies, a house based on Fear Factor...FEAR FACTOR! And a house based on Marvel Comic villains. Ghostbusters just doesn't seem like it would be out of the ordinary based on the event's history.

Yes I am still hearing family friendly fears from people I know.

Reactions: truejonas
I still don't understand the fear of HHN going family friendly. Still bothers me. I mean the event in the past had houses based on both Brendan Fraser Mummy movies, a house based on Fear Factor...FEAR FACTOR! And a house based on Marvel Comic villains. Ghostbusters just doesn't seem like it would be out of the ordinary based on the event's history.

I have to wonder if ST and Ghostbusters in conjunction with Hellraiser, Pumpkinhead and HoTC would require them to make a ratings system for different houses--yes, I know the event is "rated" PG-13. Then again, I wondered if they would get complaints from parents about, say Dead Exposure last year, and it didn't seem like that happened.

Reactions: Kadath and Darko
I have to wonder if ST and Ghostbusters in conjunction with Hellraiser, Pumpkinhead and HoTC would require them to make a ratings system for different houses--yes, I know the event is "rated" PG-13. Then again, I wondered if they would get complaints from parents about, say Dead Exposure last year, and it didn't seem like that happened.
Maybe parents are smarter than we realize and they know the event is called Halloween HORROR Nights. Of course I could be giving people too much credit and they will get complaints this year. Still, people need to do their research, most things are a google search away.

If "families" are paying attention, it can be both family friendly AND classic horror rated. I go with my 13/14 yr old daughter. I know what we like and don't. We choose accordingly, so for us my daughter's first year last year was largely "family friendly" horror, as we define it.

I think an assortment that has some scary edgy stuff like scary tales, IP's we love like stranger things, fun stuff like slaughter sinema, and a couple houses that reviews say are really violent and gross like Blumhouse or whatever (we skip those) works for most everyone.

I don't think it's realistic to expect ALL the houses to be the perfect level for everyone. Some would want 10 houses like scarecrow or the strobe one from last year, some would want 10 like stranger things, some would 10 IP's, some 10 originals, and some 10 comedy houses. My perfect lineup would be alien, thing, Buffy, ST, ghostbusters, a Scooby doo gritty house, and some cool originals like the old haunted ww2 trench one, or slaughter sinema. But I bet half this board would think that all sucks.

Knowing my daughter tend towards the cowardly side of true horror and think all slasher flicks are stupid and copycats, I think the current mix they use is pretty good and seems to have something for everyone.

If "families" are paying attention, it can be both family friendly AND classic horror rated. I go with my 13/14 yr old daughter. I know what we like and don't. We choose accordingly, so for us my daughter's first year last year was largely "family friendly" horror, as we define it.

I think an assortment that has some scary edgy stuff like scary tales, IP's we love like stranger things, fun stuff like slaughter sinema, and a couple houses that reviews say are really violent and gross like Blumhouse or whatever (we skip those) works for most everyone.

I don't think it's realistic to expect ALL the houses to be the perfect level for everyone. Some would want 10 houses like scarecrow or the strobe one from last year, some would want 10 like stranger things, some would 10 IP's, some 10 originals, and some 10 comedy houses. My perfect lineup would be alien, thing, Buffy, ST, ghostbusters, a Scooby doo gritty house, and some cool originals like the old haunted ww2 trench one, or slaughter sinema. But I bet half this board would think that all sucks.

Knowing my daughter tend towards the cowardly side of true horror and think all slasher flicks are stupid and copycats, I think the current mix they use is pretty good and seems to have something for everyone.
It's the reason I love the event. They almost always have something for everyone. Some for the hardcore horror fans and some for the not-so-hardcore. Basically the event has always been "family friendly" to an extent.

Last edited:
Of the two commonly assumed answers to this clue, why would the nearly century old movie be the preferred guess?
Because it was Browning's followup to Lugosi's Dracula? It's the UCM's weird cousin, so there's that, plus they could reuse all of the set pieces and most of the gags from AHS Freakshow? Plus, personally, wishful thinking.

If Hellraiser comes it will be insteresting to say the least. Pinhead is a cool character but I just always thought Hellraiser could never happen. With the whole idea of the movie it will be intreasting to see how the pull it off. Anyway I don’t see Freaks happing at all since it’s so old and not really horror by my understanding. I haven’t seen the movie but that seem to be what most people are saying.

It's more horror than at least three or four popular guesses in the last couple years. It was banned I several countries and killed Browning's career.

Well yeah but Psycho is a popular horror film with a TV show. Also it is old being made in the 60s but Freaks is older made in the 30s.
Dracula is older, and most of the HHN hardcores would lose their minds if that got a house. I recognize Freaks would be a long shot, but if it didn't come it wouldn't be for the reasons you've listed.

Reactions: Kadath
Well yeah but Psycho is a popular horror film with a TV show. Also it is old being made in the 60s but Freaks is older made in the 30s.
I don’t think it being from the 30’s is all that relevant to the debate. That’s like saying Universal shouldn’t do a UCM house because the properties are too old. UCM did great in Hollywood and the (arguably) lesser known Invisible Man ended up being a fan favorite of that maze.

Reactions: RevFreako
I still don't see why Hellraiser could come? Since I know Murdy said back when he was creating the mazes that for some reason, Universal couldn't get ahold of Hellraiser.

But since that seems to be what everyone is going with, and Legacy hasn't said others, it's apparently coming.

I still don't see why Hellraiser could come? Since I know Murdy said back when he was creating the mazes that for some reason, Universal couldn't get ahold of Hellraiser.

But since that seems to be what everyone is going with, and Legacy hasn't said others, it's apparently coming.

I just can't wait to see how the Clerks quote lines up with Hellraiser.