Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

I would love a GOT house, but the crowds would be out of this world. I'd wager to say it might almost not be worth it.

I really beg to differ, I would say you would take the whole series and take all it's scariest moments into one house. (I don't think it's got enough to go season by season). There are plenty of creepy settings to use and gross imagery .... I honestly think it would take some great work in costumes and makeup, but I don't think it would be so challenging from a creative standpoint.

I agree with Joe. I really don't think a GoT house is fit for HHN. If you're going to just take the "scary" scenes then you might as well just do an original house. I'd prefer to see Universal take their own spin on a medieval setting rather than pick and choose from GoT. Also, it would probably bring the park to capacity which would not be fun and maybe even drive up ticket prices...

I love medieval settings, but I'd dislike to see them waste it on GoT.

I would not be opposed to a "original" take on a medieval setting, I'm sure Universal would do a great job with it, but honestly I think a GOT house would be better. I just think if they were tasked with making a Game of Thrones house it would be a game changer. They would want to make sure this house blew people away because expectations would be high. If it were just an original house they could do as much or as little as they wanted. Though I would still welcome it, I feel like having such a huge IP would really encourage them to swing for the fences.

However the crowds would just be awful.

GoT doesn’t seem to be a good property to adapt for a house.

Story-wise perhaps, but in terms of set pieces, in the North alone: white walkers, weights, direwolves, flayed men on crosses, cannibal wildings. Start in in the crypts of Winterfell--atmospherically creepy even without scare-actors--finish with an "outdoor" cold room.

I agree with Joe. I really don't think a GoT house is fit for HHN. If you're going to just take the "scary" scenes then you might as well just do an original house.

Blood Ruins (I think?) did it. It was kind of weak. I think the genre elements of GoT would add some spice.

Saying GoT isn’t a good property to adapt for a house seems a little naive and flat out wrong?

I get the opinion that an original set in medieval times might be better for the event.
However i’d love to hear the reasoning behind why people think it would not be a good property to adapt, actually really confused as to why it wouldn’t.

Saying GoT isn’t a good property to adapt for a house seems a little naive and flat out wrong?

I get the opinion that an original set in medieval times might be better for the event.
However i’d love to hear the reasoning behind why people think it would not be a good property to adapt, actually really confused as to why it wouldn’t.

It’s a hot take from me so I should back it up a little bit. I’m not the biggest GoT fan and I’ve only seen one and a half seasons of it, so it’s very possible it’s a “you’ll understand the more you watch” situation.

IMHO the suspense, violence, and tension in the series so far has been from the relationships between the characters and houses. This sounds broad, yes, but when I think of a HHN house I think of something that presents a threat to everyone “in” the house, not just the characters themselves. There needs to be a more existential threat.

Personal opinion, most of the IP based houses normally aim to tell (an incredibly condensed version of) the story of the IP they are based on. GoT couldn't do this, it would be more like a bunch of set pieces from here and there with no real cohesion.

Personal opinion, most of the IP based houses normally aim to tell (an incredibly condensed version of) the story of the IP they are based on. GoT couldn't do this, it would be more like a bunch of set pieces from here and there with no real cohesion.
Yes, this is part of why I don't think it could work. Saying to include all the scary parts wouldn't really create all that good of a flow. The game of thrones house could be "oh look! I remember that scene" but it would provide zero flow. It feels awkward. Everything that you can achieve with GoT can be done through other IPs and original houses.

That being said, I would be game to see what they do, maybe A&D can surprise me and do something special that works. Just right now my gut reaction is it’s being brought up because it’s popular and being talked about, like how last year people wanted a Twin Peaks house.