Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To be fair though, if it were to become a house I don’t think it’s out of the picture for Creative to think up a few more dead animals to use as puppets for a scene where you walk through the actual Pet Semetary.

To be fair though, if it were to become a house I don’t think it’s out of the picture for Creative to think up a few more dead animals to use as puppets for a scene where you walk through the actual Pet Semetary.
Creative has nothing to do with HHN.

Creative does rides. Art and Design (part of Entertainment) does shows, parades, and events (like HHN).

Reactions: truejonas
What are the chances of Pet Semetary coming in? It’s got the remake coming next year same as Child’s Play and it’d fit the same classic horror mold as TCM, Exorcist, Shining, and Poltergeist have the past few years. The only problems might be Stephen King and that its overall more obscure than the others.

While it was no Poltergeist, I think the original is vaguely remembered by children of the 80s, if more for the Ramones song, a minor MTV hit.

Huh, looking for info on King's involvement I found this: "The film earned $57 million in 1989, bigger than any prior Jason, Freddy, Chucky, Leatherface, Pinhead or Michael Myers flick of that era. Adjusted for inflation, it earned $134m, meaning that in 1989 it had sold more tickets than any zombie movie since 1980 and any R-rated horror flick save for Friday the 13th, Predator, Carrie, The Shining, Halloween, Aliens, The Omen, Alien, The Amityville Horror and The Exorcist." So bigger hit than I remembered.

Every article mentions King, tho, so I'm guessing he still has some rights. Probably puts the kibosh on this.

While it was no Poltergeist, I think the original is vaguely remembered by children of the 80s, if more for the Ramones song, a minor MTV hit.

Huh, looking for info on King's involvement I found this: "The film earned $57 million in 1989, bigger than any prior Jason, Freddy, Chucky, Leatherface, Pinhead or Michael Myers flick of that era. Adjusted for inflation, it earned $134m, meaning that in 1989 it had sold more tickets than any zombie movie since 1980 and any R-rated horror flick save for Friday the 13th, Predator, Carrie, The Shining, Halloween, Aliens, The Omen, Alien, The Amityville Horror and The Exorcist." So bigger hit than I remembered.

Every article mentions King, tho, so I'm guessing he still has some rights. Probably puts the kibosh on this.

Interestingly, this film is why Maine has a film commission. King wouldn't sign away the rights unless they filmed it in Maine. We got to go to the set for a field trip back in the day.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Huh, I didn’t realize that Pet Semetary was nearly that successful. I don’t think it had a gigantic impact on the genre, but it’s certainly a horror classic in its own right. I think if they could convince King it’d have enough to base a house around.

Also while it’s already brought up, that Ramones song is a bop. Probably one of my favorite songs to listen to around Halloween.

Creative has nothing to do with HHN.

Creative does rides. Art and Design (part of Entertainment) does shows, parades, and events (like HHN).
Good to know, that’s who I was referring to so it’s nice to know their proper name.

Huh, I didn’t realize that Pet Semetary was nearly that successful. I don’t think it had a gigantic impact on the genre, but it’s certainly a horror classic in its own right. I think if they could convince King it’d have enough to base a house around.

The only way it'll be a house is if King has signed away his rights, as with the Shining and It. He has famously refused to license anything of his to any haunt, and won't even say why.

Think the thing with King is he signed the rights to books away when young and naive, and hated the way they were portrayed on screen. Ever since he has been ultra protective, and would only allow screen adaptations where he had sufficient creative oversight. Which is fair enough - it’s his hard work and he wants it done right.

Some people are stubborn and set in their ways, and sometimes there’s nothing you can do to change their minds. I think he’s worried that nothing a haunt can pull off will live up to his expectations and therefore won’t entertain the idea at all. Again, this is his hard work and can do what he wants with it.

I think he’s worried that nothing a haunt can pull off will live up to his expectations and therefore won’t entertain the idea at all. Again, this is his hard work and can do what he wants with it.

I can't blame him. I'm guessing HHN has probably already pitched doing houses of his work to him before, otherwise I'd say if they can really pull him in...

I can't blame him. I'm guessing HHN has probably already pitched doing houses of his work to him before, otherwise I'd say if they can really pull him in...

Years ago now (before they put non-disclosures on them), a post-HHN survey went in-depth on a potential all King event. I'm sure they've reached out to him in the past. And I think it's also likely last year's Shining house wouldn't have happened if he'd shown the slightest bit of interest.

Considering that the Shining house was based on the movie (which he publicly dislikes), I don't think that would necessarily sway him, though. I don't know the legalese of house rights, but maybe if he was somewhat involved, maybe it'll warm him up for the future? *fingers crossed*

Considering that the Shining house was based on the movie (which he publicly dislikes), I don't think that would necessarily sway him, though. I don't know the legalese of house rights, but maybe if he was somewhat involved, maybe it'll warm him up for the future? *fingers crossed*

What I meant is by doing the film version of the story, they probably burned whatever bridges they had with King. Tattered rope bridge that it likely was, have to figure its gone.

Pretty sure the house announcement was delayed because someone accidentally used his name in an advertising email.

What I meant is by doing the film version of the story, they probably burned whatever bridges they had with King. Tattered rope bridge that it likely was, have to figure its gone.

That makes more sense. Unfortunately for us, basing a house off of a book rather than a movie with preestablished (and well known) visuals is a bit harder to do.

Wonder if that made Warner Bros work extra hard to have their IT house.

Pretty sure the house announcement was delayed because someone accidentally used his name in an advertising email.

Any idea what advertising email this was? Something for HHN? To be fair, if it had mentioned Stanley Kubrick, it would have been a no brainer.