Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 273 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So we know the houses... what now?

Well we still have details about these "known houses" to get so I don't think all the value is sucked out of the reveals.

Scarezones are still on the board, but it appears nothing concise has been let out about those yet.

to keep the chat somewhat active, what do you guys want to see most for the unannounced houses?

I want some more details about the "underwater" house. The underwater part has me a bit concerned. If it's just underwater, but in some sort of structure (submarine, sealab, Rapture, etc), that's fine.

But, if there are any segments where we're actually supposed to be in the water...that's going to be rough.

All I can think about is the baby pool zombies in Walking Dead, and the mermaid scene in Scary Tales last year. Neither worked very well.

I want some more details about the "underwater" house. The underwater part has me a bit concerned. If it's just underwater, but in some sort of structure (submarine, sealab, Rapture, etc), that's fine.

But, if there are any segments where we're actually supposed to be in the water...that's going to be rough.

All I can think about is the baby pool zombies in Walking Dead, and the mermaid scene in Scary Tales last year. Neither worked very well.

I want more details on that...and I want to know what the heck "Graveyard"'s "lore" is. There's gotta be something funky there.

I'd rather it indicate we are are underwater... think the Finding Nemo que. With the right lighting and effects I think it can be done effectively. I liked the mermaid portion, but if anything I'm sure it didn't translate as well because it was only a small underwater room in a large land maze. If the whole maze is putting you under water I think it would be more immersive.. I'm excited for this.

Reactions: Kadath
I liked the mermaid portion, but if anything I'm sure it didn't translate as well because it was only a small underwater room in a large land maze. If the whole maze is putting you under water I think it would be more immersive.

IDK. We went through the house three times, and every time it just felt like a room full of streamers that sometimes had scareactors walking through them.

Here’s something to speculate on:

Permit for B79 (BLD2019-14528). Intertior alteration. Interior partition.

The fee amount suggests this is not a permit for the house.

Has a partition ever been built between the house and the rest of the building in the past?

Here’s something to speculate on:

Permit for B79 (BLD2019-14528). Intertior alteration. Interior partition.

The fee amount suggests this is not a permit for the house.

Has a partition ever been built between the house and the rest of the building in the past?

Soundstages and parade buildings always receive some sort of barrier between the rest of the structure.

Soundstages and parade buildings always receive some sort of barrier between the rest of the structure.

That’s usually included in the house permit or simply a big curtain. At least, they were simply big curtains in 2009 when I did the UTH. This is the first time I’ve seen a permit for interior alterations just for a partition.

Reactions: BoSoxFan1022
What’s up with all the similarities between recent HHN original houses and Knott’s Scary Farm? Obvious caveat, there’s only so many horror settings/tropes so similarities are expected, they’ll both approach the material differently, etc. but man, there’s been a hell of a lot of coincidences recently.

· Last year Knott’s debuts The Depths, a maze set underwater, and this year we’re rumored to be getting the aquatic Depths of Fear.
· Until last year, Knott’s had a tooth fairy house, and this year HHN is apparently getting one.
· Two years ago Knott’s gets Dark Ride, and last year we had Carnival Graveyard, both about carnies stalking you in scrapped attractions.

And those are just the 1:1 connections, there’s also:

· Pumpkin Eater & Twisted Traditions both revolve around a rotting pumpkin patch with some similar costume designs.
· Special Ops: Infected & Dead Exposure: Patient Zero are both gimmick zombie houses set in a city. Dead Exposure’s been a thing for 10 years so it’s not really a 1:1 comparison, but both feature an extensive subway/underground sequence.
· This one I think is complete coincidence, but it is funny that HHN may be doing a bigfoot house the same year Knott’s is retheming their rapids ride, complete with an animatronic bigfoot.

Again, I know there’s always going to be thematic overlap between different events, there’s only so much scary to go around. It’s just weird seeing Knott’s introduce a fairly unique spin on something, only to have the same idea show up at HHN a year or so later. Like, barring the line slowdowns/loss prevention issues it may cause, I wouldn't be shocked if the Hide and Seek house turns out to be a riff on flashlight tag, using the same tech as Trick or Treat: Lights Out.

Last edited:
What’s up with all the similarities between recent HHN original houses and Knott’s Scary Farm? Obvious caveat, there’s only so many horror settings/tropes so similarities are expected, they’ll both approach the material differently, etc. but man, there’s been a hell of a lot of coincidences recently.

· Last year Knott’s debuts The Depths, a maze set underwater, and this year we’re rumored to be getting the aquatic Depths of Fear.
· Until last year, Knott’s had a tooth fairy house, and this year HHN is apparently getting one.
· Two years ago Knott’s gets Dark Ride, and last year we had Carnival Graveyard, both about carnies stalking you in scrapped attractions.

And those are just the 1:1 connections, there’s also:

· Pumpkin Eater & Twisted Traditions both revolve around a rotting pumpkin patch with some similar costume designs.
· Special Ops: Infected & Dead Exposure: Patient Zero are both gimmick zombie houses set in a city. Dead Exposure’s been a thing for 10 years so it’s not really a 1:1 comparison, but both feature an extensive subway/underground sequence.
· This one I think is complete coincidence, but it is funny that HHN may be doing a bigfoot house the same year Knott’s is retheming their rapids ride, complete with an animatronic bigfoot.

Again, I know there’s always going to be thematic overlap between different events, there’s only so much scary to go around. It’s just weird seeing Knott’s introduce a fairly unique spin on something, only to have the same idea show up at HHN a year or so later. Like, barring the line slowdowns/loss prevention issues it may cause, I wouldn't be shocked if the Hide and Seek house turns out to be a riff on flashlight tag, using the same tech as Trick or Treat: Lights Out.

Nature of the beast. They’ve all “copied” off each other (Busch, Knott’s, HHN). You said it best... there’s only so much.