Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Anybody have any fun guesses what the original scarezones could be like this year? I’m personally hoping we get a sequel some like vamp 85 last year. Maybe we could get a leave it to cleaver meat market scarezone and next year get a house!

If Vamp is ever done again, it needs to be in the Hollywood area. Last year was the biggest disappointment of the event for me, and I think the location had a lot to do with that.

I thought it was the cast. Most of them were talking to one another or their friends at the park. Other than two really aggressive scareactors, you either had to know the cast or be in the cast to get any attention.

If Vamp is ever done again, it needs to be in the Hollywood area. Last year was the biggest disappointment of the event for me, and I think the location had a lot to do with that.

Totally agree. I thought the scare zones in generally were pretty mediocre last year with the exception of KK. Vamp '85 was really disappointing. The scare zones at HHN 27 were far superior imo. Someone mentioned The Fog as a scare zone, and that sounds like a great idea. As far as an original scare zone, something mutant like could be cool - think C.H.U.D. but with more variety.

I thought it was the cast. Most of them were talking to one another or their friends at the park. Other than two really aggressive scareactors, you either had to know the cast or be in the cast to get any attention.

I have no real proof of this, but my theory is that they hired on a bunch of the dancers from the cancelled B&T show so that they could do the Thriller dance.

They aren't traditional scareactors and had no real interest in filling a traditional scareactor part. So, they ended up standing around posing and talking to friends.

I have no real proof of this, but my theory is that they hired on a bunch of the dancers from the cancelled B&T show so that they could do the Thriller dance.

They aren't traditional scareactors and had no real interest in filling a traditional scareactor part. So, they ended up standing around posing and talking to friends.
I can tell you that was somewhat true for at least one scareactor that I knew. However, he was in zones before he was in B&T.

Last edited:

Sounds about right.

Also regarding the opinion that last years zones weren’t great, I thought Chucky was pretty awesome, that whole zone was varied, also the zone by shrek was great, actually saw some great scares. Vamp was a poop show tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds about right.

Also regarding the opinion that last years zones weren’t great, I thought Chucky was pretty awesome, that whole zone was varied, also the zone by shrek was great, actually saw some great scares. Vamp was a poop show tho.

I would've put Killer Klownz on all of Fifth Avenue, and made Vamp the Springfield chainsaw zone (punk vampires instead of carnies, with the same awesome soundtrack).

Vamp 95 with JNCO and flannel wearing vampires.
LOL, I was thinking they could do a scare zone of something like Rave to the Grave.
Plus what is wrong with JNCO jeans? I still have some of my JNCO jeans when I use to DJ, or when i would go to clubs and just dance. And yes I was a club kid back in the day.

So if they would do the 90's, they could do GRAVE RAVERS,

Anybody have any fun guesses what the original scarezones could be like this year? I’m personally hoping we get a sequel some like vamp 85 last year. Maybe we could get a leave it to cleaver meat market scarezone and next year get a house!
Point: I do think a Leave it to Cleaver street could make for a really fun scarezone. Some of the original queue video was filmed in Sting Alley, so it might work really well in the northern end of the NY area. I'm picturing zone boundaries that would closely resemble HHN XX's Saws N' Steam scarezone.

Counterpoint: This is a much broader statement, but I feel, and have felt, that scarezones no longer work at HHN. The event is just far too crowded and Universal really can't build the large and elaborate set pieces that they could prior to the daytime parade being implemented. Personally, I just don't gain very much enjoyment from the zones anymore.

Bill & Ted wasn't cancelled last year.

Point: I do think a Leave it to Cleaver street could make for a really fun scarezone. Some of the original queue video was filmed in Sting Alley, so it might work really well in the northern end of the NY area. I'm picturing zone boundaries that would closely resemble HHN XX's Saws N' Steam scarezone.

Counterpoint: This is a much broader statement, but I feel, and have felt, that scarezones no longer work at HHN. The event is just far too crowded and Universal really can't build the large and elaborate set pieces that they could prior to the daytime parade being implemented. Personally, I just don't gain very much enjoyment from the zones anymore.

Yeah, more budget that could be used on the houses.

I like Scarezones just to kind of look around and take pictures and enjoy whatever limited immersion and entertainment they provide, I honestly never expect to be scared by them..

Chainsaws, as cliche as they are, do scare me. As worn out and unoriginal a concept as it was, TCM at 26 was the only time I've kinda feared for my safety in an HHN house.

I like Scarezones just to kind of look around and take pictures and enjoy whatever limited immersion and entertainment they provide, I honestly never expect to be scared by them..

Obviously I never attended in the "lesser crowded" years but I can't be scared by stuff outside. There's just too much space around me that I feel safer.

Yeah, more budget that could be used on the houses.
They already pull from the scarezone budgets for houses...
Obviously I never attended in the "lesser crowded" years but I can't be scared by stuff outside. There's just too much space around me that I feel safer.
They've had some really effective outdoor zones, especially at IoA. But I agree the event has gotten too popular for zones to be anything more than atmospheric distractions now.

I like the scarezones. Even if they aren't as "effective" as they once were when it wasn't so crowded, they still lend continuity in atmosphere. I think if they weren't there at all, there would be a HUGE disconnect. Maybe we are all so jaded because we are all big horror fans and have attended this event for years (some of us well beyond the decade or two mark), and now the scarezones don't seem scary. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be there. They are still scary for many people.

Even though I don't get scared (startled if done correctly though), the scarezones are important to me. I love them. I love to sit inside one and people watch. I like to be up close and personal with the scareactors, and the scarezones are the best places for that. If you go enough, sometimes you get that favorite character that you can play with over and over. Some of the best pics I ever took at HHN are genuine interactions with my favorite actors from those years (not just a random selfie - these are all pics with a history). See pic for an example of what I'm talking about. HHN22EiIniquitus.jpg

I would never want to lose that. The houses are already fantastic each year.. they don't need to drain the scarezone budget.