1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Discussion in 'Halloween Horror Nights 29' started by Brian G., Nov 4, 2018.

1. ChaseTuff

ChaseTuff Member

I'm pretty sure they got discounted twice and they still didn't come close to "selling out".

Because, well, they were kinda worthless. All they really added to the experience was a flashing light on your neck.

Joe and Brian G. like this.
  2. MrTorrance

MrTorrance Newcomer

I considered buying until I picked one up and felt how Huge it was.

TheCodeMan95 likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Loved the lanyard, but wasn’t going to spend the money for the damn FlavaFlave skull.

4. Kadath

Kadath Newcomer

And if I recall Ops was even having people turn them off or remove them when in some of the houses. I know a lot of scare actors did not like them, they had a tendency to be very bright in an otherwise dark space so they became blinding for some people.

5. BoSoxFan1022

BoSoxFan1022 Rookie

Hoping for an anouncement tmrw!

6. JMalez

JMalez Rookie

On the last night, lanyards with the amulet were $11. I paid the $11 and asked to only have the lanyard:lol:. By no means did I want to lug that thing around the park.

Kadath likes this.
  7. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Same. They told me it was same cost with or without the skull - so I kept it and made it a thing for the night. :lol:

Kadath, RyanH and JMalez like this.
  8. Avvie Cunnington

Avvie Cunnington Premium Member

I have a question, sorry if it's been answered. Why was Eddie pulled as an icon? I saw this

However, due to the 9/11/2001 terror attacks on the U.S., Eddie was pulled and replaced by the return of the previous event's icon, Jack the Clown.

What made him be pulled because of the attacks but Jack was allowed? I went to HHN last year for the first time (being from the UK) so don't know much about Eddie.

Kadath and tankart150 like this.
  9. JMalez

JMalez Rookie

This is from my memory so take it as you will.. Eddie was a bit more on the violent side than Jack (them being brothers) and was meant to have a gorier and more menacing vibe that contrasts Jack's humorous form of horror. Also, Eddie was a new icon and I believe Jack had already become somewhat familiar with the general public.
    Along with Eddie being pulled, all of the houses and the event as a whole was toned down in terms of violence. I think one house was originally meant to be called "terror-land" which was pulled and became a different house

10. ChaseTuff

ChaseTuff Member

Eddie along with being more violent was I believe to some too similar looking to 9/11 first responders. And yes, in general the whole event was toned down. No red blood, etc. The house known as "Terror-Land" ended up becoming Scary Tales so it certainly wasn't all "bad" in the slightest.

11. Avvie Cunnington

Avvie Cunnington Premium Member

Thankyou guys for the quick answers! I can understand with Terror-land and the gore but was confused about Eddie. If it was because he looked similar to the first responders then that does make sense.

Kadath and tankart150 like this.
  12. hunnylvr

hunnylvr Newcomer

I'm not shocked. Usually, I'm the one throwing huge money at the merch every HHN, but even I couldn't bring myself to buy that crap. It seemed clumsy, silly and clearly a cash grab. Kind of insulting, really. No way do I think A&D came up with that. Their stuff is much more interesting and fun... like all the stuff we did for Horror Unearthed.

I am so looking forward to the merch this year! Classic Monsters and Ghostbusters? Yes, please. Take all my money now. My only wish is that someone would figure out that it would be a good idea to make HHN luggage tags. I'd kill for that. Pass on the amulets and make luggage tags!!!

I hope we get something soon.. want to keep the chatter and momentum going. I just booked the first of four flights for this year's event.. and now I'm stoked. It's so tough because I also love the summer, so I don't want to rush through summer.. but I love HHN, and I don't want to wait.. yeah, my life is hard.

truejonas, JMalez and snayberry like this.
  13. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

More specifically, Eddie's original story was that he was horror movie junkie who basically went on a rampage killing people to recreate his favorite movies. It was very visceral and, more notably, realistic.

After 9/11, Universal reversed course on "realistic." Jack, who's story already presented him as an undying zombie, was a familiar and far more over-the-top character was brought back and slight adjustments were made to all of the Eddie key art to make him a clown as well.

14. BoSoxFan1022

BoSoxFan1022 Rookie

I think an interesting scare zone could be similar to seeds of extinction maybe in Central Park, where they have fog covering the ground, plant life all over and in the branches of the trees, and swamp creatures walking around.

15. ChaseTuff

ChaseTuff Member

A “Living Earth” scarezone in CP has always been in my scarezone creative shortlist.

truejonas, Kadath, AdmiralHHN and 4 others like this.
  16. Tryston Blankenship

Tryston Blankenship Rookie

So excited to be living in Florida starting next week and can hopefully watch the house of 1000 facade be built in person!

17. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

Curious to see what they do with it being in the MiB Tent. Captain Spaulding’s Museum of Monsters and Madness might be too big of a facade but if they went the Blumhouse route then the movie poster would be cool, although a little lame.

BoSoxFan1022 likes this.
  18. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

If they went the Blumhouse 1 route and projected this alternating with maybe some clips from the movies (including trailer for 3 From Hell), that would suffice.

19. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

Only thing I can guarantee with no info is that that audio will play in the line or facade. Hope that the theme song will play in like too

Tryston Blankenship likes this.
  20. mystiquephreeq

mystiquephreeq Newcomer

Even more specifically, Edgar Sawyer’s backstory did not have a familial relationship to Jack. The opening scaremonies were suppose to have Eddie walking out with the CDT carrying Jack’s head.

Edgar Sawyer’s backstory was one of revenge and carnage. The mask was melted to his face because he had been trapped in a fire. The fire occurred in his home haunt and was set by bullies. Somewhere someone must still have the Vault’s article that explained Eddie's original backstory. I’ll see if I can find the link.

I’m surprised Jack is still as popular as he is. It’s probably because most people don’t know his original backstory, and Universal has done its best to retcon him.

Edit: Confused Eddie’s original story with Cindy’s. He donned the mask to hide the scars. It wasn’t melted to his face.

Found link to original backstory:

HHN ICON: Eddie | Horror Night Nightmares

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    SukaVayne73, Robert Bliss and JMalez like this.