Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

(this is all idle speculation and I have no insider info)

Second season is coming in 2020, so could it be that Uni might have just figured that waiting until the second season announcement is on everyone's minds might be a smarter move? Plus, this was the year we were supposed to get a GO(A)T house, so it's possible they just spent all their negotiating power on that and chose not to pursue Hill House, which is made by a company separate from Netflix (Paramount Television and Amblin) and probably involved a lot of rights headaches that people just didn't want to deal with along with HBO.

EDIT:

@DavieDarko I read somewhere that Rob Zombie's Halloween II has some of the most realistic depictions of PTSD in a horror film - with all the stuff about Laurie hating Annie because she was a trigger for her trauma, her drinking and engaging in self-destructive behavior after every mental breakdown, her anger at everything, her fear of being committed to a hospital, her listening to edgy music to try and distance herself from her past self - being completely true to life. Everyone thought she was overacting, but I thought the actress put her all into that performance. That same commentator said H20 got it completely wrong, funnily enough.
Yeah her performance really elevated the movie for me and why I felt the movie had a strong emotional core. Out of all of Rob Zombie's films, that one felt like it had the most heart put into it. At least the Director's Cut. Funny, but I have a feeling that is part of the hate actually. Though I know a few friends who say the violence just ruins the emotional story at it's core. That is a fair argument I say. I remember reading someone say how the first remake is about Michael, whereas the sequel is about Laurie. I just love how the movie gives enough clues in different directions that made you question if Michael was even still alive. Like it was all in Laurie's head. That is what made me fall in love with the movie. It had an open to interpretation feel to it. Was Michael dead at the end of part 1, is Laurie imagining all of it. Even the part where Michael escapes the van and sees the infamous white horse is followed by a thunder clash waking Laurie up. As I said, don't know how much was intentional but it worked for me on a deeper level than I think was intended.

Also loved how all the characters from the first one dealt with the trauma differently. Laurie with her self-destructive behavior, Loomis capitalizing on the hall thing, and the Bracketts trying to forget it ever happened.

Also I hate when people say his movie betrayed the original. What is the point in a remake if it literally the same thing, again? It's called Rob Zombie's Halloween, his version. It's like adaptions. I don't want the same thing, especially plot twist to be the same. I already know it, throw me a curveball.

Also I just really wanna see Rob Zombie's Halloween as a house. Say what you will about the movies but his Michael is the scariest one to me.

Last edited:
Zombie's Halloween movies are for sure underrated, but I think his masterpiece is Lords of Salem. It's probably not the kind of property that could sustain an entire haunted maze (it's much more of a "mood piece" than his other films), but there are two or three set pieces in there that are absolutely bonkers and would make for an insane maze experience. Even Zombie's worst movies—I include HoaTC in that convo, for what it's worth—have at least one scene that's really memorable. They should really do like a "greatest hits" experience, or something more along the Blumhouse of Horrors where you get to experience a few different films at once. An entire HoaTC maze is really low on my list and my fingers are crossed that it doesn't actually make it here to Hollywood.

but I think his masterpiece is Lords of Salem.

Maybe we could take this to a PM conversation to avoid getting too off topic, but I need someone to explain the appeal of that movie to me.

My wife and I both absolutely hated it, but I've been seeing a lot of love recently from people whose opinions I respect.

I really don't get it. I thought it was boring, and had a lot of "weird just to be weird" stuff in it.

I think the appeal is it's visuals and as viking_wizard_eyes said, it's "mood".

As for the topic, I am fairly certain the next announcement at the soonest, would be like the end of the month. Either way the event is not far off, which is of course, great.

I am also gonna assume that everything is like 95-100% dead on this point, eh?

Maybe I'm alone here.. I fully acknowledge that House of 1000 Corpses is not a technically "good" movie, but I enjoy it every time I watch it - along with Devil's Rejects and, I assume, Three from Hell.

I think Ho1C will translate really well to a house - and the claustrophobia of the Firefly household should translate really well to a sprung tent.

Seems weird when they were saying Halloween (2018) would be the finale. Money talks I suppose. Curiosity is peaked though on how they will continue.

Also there is no such thing as a "good" movie. It's all subjective, that's why it's called "entertainment" 'cause it's about what entertains you, not everybody else. There are people who think the original Halloween is bad. And they make good arguments.

Seems weird when they were saying Halloween (2018) would be the finale. Money talks I suppose. Curiosity is peaked though on how they will continue.

Also there is no such thing as a "good" movie. It's all subjective, that's why it's called "entertainment" 'cause it's about what entertains you, not everybody else. There are people who think the original Halloween is bad. And they make good arguments.
And we have a word for those people but I like posting on these boards

And we have a word for those people but I like posting on these boards
Again, opinions. People need to quit getting worked up over that crap. We have bigger things in our life than someone's opinion on a piece of entertainment.

My husband thought TCM (1974) was horrible, whereas I think it's the greatest horror movie ever. I didn't wanna call him anything bad for having a different opinion. I think a lot of you need to get your undies adjusted a bit more comfortably if opinions on entertainment bother you.

Only time I am bothered by someone's opinion is when they get mad about the movie 'cause it wasn't what they wanted it to be and get all hot and bothered. Trust me, you will live.

Last edited:
Again, opinions. People need to quit getting worked up over that crap. We have bigger things in our life than someone's opinion on a piece of entertainment.

My husband thought TCM (1974) was horrible, whereas I think it's the greatest horror movie ever. I didn't wanna call him anything bad for having a different opinion. I think a lot of you need to get your undies adjusted a bit more comfortably if opinions on entertainment bother you.

Only time I am bothered by someone's opinion is when they get mad about the movie 'cause it wasn't what they wanted it to be and get all hot and bothered. Trust me, you will live.

Sooooo....you didn't like Halloween then? :bow:

How many times do we have to say that Halloween 2018 not showing up at Horror Nights was not Universal's choice??

The only capacity we would see Myers is if it's in the context of his Halloween 2 or (unlikely) his Halloween 4 renditions...

As much as I like Myers (the original Halloween is my favourite movie ever) he has had his time at HHN, at least for a few years.

Halloween III on the other hand...

(this is all idle speculation and I have no insider info)

Second season is coming in 2020, so could it be that Uni might have just figured that waiting until the second season announcement is on everyone's minds might be a smarter move? Plus, this was the year we were supposed to get a GO(A)T house, so it's possible they just spent all their negotiating power on that and chose not to pursue Hill House, which is made by a company separate from Netflix (Paramount Television and Amblin) and probably involved a lot of rights headaches that people just didn't want to deal with along with HBO.

EDIT:

@DavieDarko I read somewhere that Rob Zombie's Halloween II has some of the most realistic depictions of PTSD in a horror film - with all the stuff about Laurie hating Annie because she was a trigger for her trauma, her drinking and engaging in self-destructive behavior after every mental breakdown, her anger at everything, her fear of being committed to a hospital, her listening to edgy music to try and distance herself from her past self - being completely true to life. Everyone thought she was overacting, but I thought the actress put her all into that performance. That same commentator said H20 got it completely wrong, funnily enough.

Yeah they probably were putting all their effort into GoT. I couldn't care less about the show, and we don't need crowds to be any worse.

It took them two years to do Stranger Things after it started. So HoHH is a possibility, if the second season is released around that time.

How many times do we have to say that Halloween 2018 not showing up at Horror Nights was not Universal's choice??

The only capacity we would see Myers is if it's in the context of his Halloween 2 or (unlikely) his Halloween 4 renditions...

I'm expecting H5 at 30--continues the even year pattern, and Myers is a face of the holiday.

Point being, there was still a Halloween presence to promote the movie.

Halloween (2018) and Hill House are basically white whales for me at this point. Before I got more in tune with this year's predictions/rumors, I was completely convinced that both of them would be 2019 houses, like there was no question in my mind whatsoever. (I almost felt the same way with Us, but it seemed less likely based on the timing.) I built up the expectation so much that I feel like I'll forever be searching for them in each subsequent lineup haha

Point being, there was still a Halloween presence to promote the movie.

...I guess? Or they thought they had Halloween 2018 in the bag, realized they didn't due to extenuating circumstances, and had to quickly pivot to a cheap property that had a similar level of pull because Myers was factored into their marketing plan? Horror Nights didn't do Halloween 4 to promote Universal's movie.

They're not going to go down that road again. If we see Michael, it'll be in a "slashers united" capacity along the lines of Titans of Terror.