1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Halloween Horror Nights 29 Speculation

Discussion in 'Halloween Horror Nights 29' started by Brian G., Nov 4, 2018.

1. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

Must be different sources saying different things. Hollywood’s usual source has said Hellraiser wasnt really in the picture but it’s too big of an IP to be for only one coast

SeventyOne likes this.
  2. Freak

Freak Veteran Member

If Hellraiser comes to Orlando and not Hollywood after giving the excuse he just gave, Murdy’s Twitter will get mobbed with angry fans.

Kadath, truejonas and OhHaiInternet95 like this.
  3. NuteGunrayWasFramed

NuteGunrayWasFramed Member

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised. Hollywood has gotten weird about corporate synergy and what’s considered more “adult” content at HHN (see the Gogo Dancers being removed.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

I question if Hellraiser is a “big” (re: well-known) enough property to be a banner IP, but Poltergeist was a banner IP last year and a good number of people had no idea what it even was.

5. JawsVictim

JawsVictim Rookie

If by banner you mean heavily advertised with signage on the front entrance archway, yes. I would argue Hellraiser is more recognizable to the GP than Poltergiest.

Kadath, Andysol, Freak and 4 others like this.
  6. NuteGunrayWasFramed

NuteGunrayWasFramed Member

Bringing up Suspiria again, what if “Salt” was Suspiria? Salt is used to protect oneself against witches...but more realistically it’s probably a Dead Man’s Wharf maze.

JawsVictim and horrornights789 like this.
  7. Tobias

Tobias Member

Agreed, it was mentioned earlier in this thread but it's worth repeating. With the event in today's age of copyrights, IP's belonging to other studios and IP's like Scream, the Conjuring and Ouija slipping through Universal's fingers...I don't see them making a All Night DIE-In type of house with properties they don't own ever again.

For that type of house to be made today, it has to be properties Uni owns. To be honest, Blumhouse of Horrors is the closest you're going to get for a DIE-In house with different IP properties. Your best bet for anything else is a Slaughter Sinema/H.R. Bloodnguts house where A&D can create whatever they want with no problem. (Honestly, I want to see more of those than a IP mash up.)

Now with the restrictions they have, there is one house they can make, and dear lord I wish this comes true some year. A sequel to Silver Screams...featuring the Classic Universal Monsters. The Universal Palace Theater honoring all the classics, with the Usher guiding the way? If there's a dream house of mine, that is one of them.

8. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

If it’s DMW then that’ll be the second original house based off The Fog:grin: Could see it translating really well though

9. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

I think it fits the "classic 70s/80s" slot that has been an unofficial thing since AWIL. Tho, as a child of the 80s, Pinhead was always sort of the R.C. Cola to Jason & Freddy's Coke & Pepsi, while Poltergeist was a legit, zeitgeist-capturing hit in its day, albeit maybe one that didn't age all that gracefully.

RevFreako and OhHaiInternet95 like this.
  10. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

Exactly what I'm saying. Poltergeist earned $121 million (in 1982 dollars). That's roughly as much as the entire Hellraiser franchise has made. However, I think today, they're about equally known.

Though if Pinhead is RC Cola, who's Moon Pie? ;)

SeventyOne likes this.
  11. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

Leprechaun

12. Fallow

Fallow Veteran Member

Would they? Or would they just be happy Hellraiser was at the event?

@Legacy has a point - Murdy's verbiage can be often twisted as needed unless it's a definitive "no." In this case, "loves to do it but rights are tricky" gives him an out if it doesn't pan out (assuming they're looking at it in the first place, which is all still conjecture). If it DOES come... it does mean the rights were tricky! They are! But they worked it out.

My gut says they'd like to but haven't been able to get the stars to align.

SeventyOne and Brian G. like this.
  13. Vknight

Vknight Newcomer

One could hope. In a perfect world they'd contract warwick davis to reprise his role for a month. That would be a pretty amusing 5th house if the others speculated are true.

Drummanmatt and RevFreako like this.
  14. mystiquephreeq

mystiquephreeq Newcomer

In a perfect world, everyone leaves Warwick Davis free to film the heavily rumored Willow 2.

While Leprechaun was deliciously bad, I would prefer an original take on the Aos Sí.

15. truejonas

truejonas Member

For what it's worth, I knew of Poltergeist and was somewhat familiar with it before I watched last year (I've never been a big horror person), but I have no idea what happens in Hellraiser.

I'm willing to bet that if they did that, it would have the slanted deck.

16. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

So when do we think we’re getting the first announcement? Early March?

17. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

After more thought, Pinhead is more recognizable as an icon in horror than any of the actual creatures in Poltergeist, but the little girl kneeling in front of the staticky TV and "They're Here" is definitely more recognizable to the GP.

JM-BENT, Fallow, SeventyOne and 2 others like this.
  18. anihilnation

anihilnation Veteran Member

If they did Suspiria, I'd much rather have the original, has a wonderful aesthetic.

JawsVictim likes this.
  19. truejonas

truejonas Member

I guess that begs the question of who Universal wants to pull in more - the GP or horror fans? Stranger Things was most definitely a GP move.

20. ChaseTuff

ChaseTuff Rookie

I think overall the event tries to appeal to both...but if you just asked marketing, they probably value that GP more.

truejonas and SeventyOne like this.