Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Billie will draw people but she isn't like Stranger Things, Walking Dead or even American Horror Story in it's prime. I don't think she has the "mass appeal" of those other properties.
Just for reference..

Stranger Things S3 amassed around 26 million US viewers (40 million globally) during the 4-day weekend that it came out. One of, if not the biggest Netflix releases, to date.

Billie's album had about 194 million on-demand audio streams during its first week. The third biggest release for a female artist ever. The hit single, "Bad Guy" has 1,138,930,531 streams on Spotify as of 1/28/2020. Wikipedia (ThAtS nOt A rEaL sOuRcE) has it listed as the 30th most streamed song ever.

She has mass appeal.

As for anyone worried about music interpreting properly, the lead in music to 'Us' last year was a remix of "I Got 5 On It", and as the kids say "it slapped". Billie's songs already translate better than that song, now picture a music team working on remixing them as needed to really amp up the mood.

Just for reference..

Stranger Things S3 amassed around 26 million US viewers (40 million globally) during the 4-day weekend that it came out. One of, if not the biggest Netflix releases, to date.

Billie's album had about 194 million on-demand audio streams during its first week. The third biggest release for a female artist ever. The hit single, "Bad Guy" has 1,138,930,531 streams on Spotify as of 1/28/2020. Wikipedia (ThAtS nOt A rEaL sOuRcE) has it listed as the 30th most streamed song ever.

She has mass appeal.

As for anyone worried about music interpreting properly, the lead in music to 'Us' last year was a remix of "I Got 5 On It", and as the kids say "it slapped". Billie's songs already translate better than that song, now picture a music team working on remixing them as needed to really amp up the mood.

I mean, I still can't see a lagoon show being an actual focus of the event. Hope that it doesn't overshadow everything else like ST did.

Complete and TOTAL shot in the dark, given how weirdly obscure any and all of this is (but I find it very fun and coincidental):

Don McLean's song American Pie came out in 1971, and literally no horror movies of note came out that year (Maybe Murders in the Rue Morgue, but only by title familiarity), however there was a movie called Werewolves on Wheels, which is absurdly close to the Devil Dogs concept for Slaughter Sinema. I'd think a clue for a Slaughter Sinema return would be a few more steps out, but still, I had no clue the movie existed prior to this.

I’m back!
I don’t really participate in random speculation, but there has been some patterns I’ve been noticing through the years, that being a hint within the event of at least one future IP; Could be mere coincidence.

In 2016 we had Sam’s lollipop littered in Krampus (both directed by Dougherty, but still) we had the scare zone next year, while in Dead Man’s Wharf had the Shining theme playing every so often, we had the Shining next year...

Nothing comes to mind for 2017...

In 2018 Slaughter Sinema featured a song from House of a Corpses at the Queque...

And now Stranger Things has a Candyman VHS for no reason, it all fits!!

If this is the case then could we expect a Castlevania house/zone this year, since they played a remix of one of the Castlevania songs "Vampire Killer" in Anarchade last year. Netflix has a Castlevania series which has season 3 slotted to be released sometime this year. I honestly don't expect it but felt that it's something a little outside the box, from what's been speculated so far, and worth throwing out into the ring.

Just for reference..

She has mass appeal.

I don't disagree that she is very popular but I standby my statement that she will not be as much of a draw as the stuff I previously mentioned. Streaming a song on spotify takes 3 seconds and costs nothing beyond whatever your subscription costs. I listen to a lot of songs I love and I don't even know who the artist is who sings them. Again I'm not arguing that she is irrelevant or won't draw some people to the event, but that she will draw nowhere near as many people as a major horror/sci-fi IP like Stranger Things/IT/Walking Dead (in it's prime).

I don't disagree that she is very popular but I standby my statement that she will not be as much of a draw as the stuff I previously mentioned. Streaming a song on spotify takes 3 seconds and costs nothing beyond whatever your subscription costs. I listen to a lot of songs I love and I don't even know who the artist is who sings them. Again I'm not arguing that she is irrelevant or won't draw some people to the event, but that she will draw nowhere near as many people as a major horror/sci-fi IP like Stranger Things/IT/Walking Dead (in it's prime).

I understand that it’s a bit of an apples to oranges kinda thing when comparing tv show viewership to music streams, but I just wanted to get some numbers out there for how popular she is in comparison to other pop culture icons. Just this week she swept the big four categories at the Grammys...at 18 years old.

FWIW, Spotify defines a stream as any song played for 30 seconds or more, and Netflix defines a view as any show/movie viewed for 2 minutes or more. Stat stuffing for both sides, but I’d argue that proportionally, 30 seconds of a song encompasses more of the overall product than 2 mins of a show.

Also, since I’m on a bit of a stat kick these past few days:

Followers (IG)
Stranger Things: 14.1 million
Billie Eilish: 51 million

I’m not trying to throw these stats and arguments out in a condescending way to rile up HHN veterans, or older demographics. I just want them to understand how massive of a get this is from a mainstream publicity perspective.

Any marketing that has her name on it is going to bring people in by the boatload. Think of how many people came last year cause Ghostbusters was a huge part of their childhood/formative years. It’s that same kind of principle. House, scarezone, lagoon show, soundtrack playing in the park, food truck, it does not matter. If Billie’s name is attached, it’ll draw.

If the lines were any indication, not that many.
*whispers* most departments probably could care less about the size of the line to enter the house.

And to jump ahead of the “But the GSATs said people didn’t like the house” comments, I’d argue that, again, most departments don’t care about those (to an an extent).

Marketing’s goal is to get you into the event. Merchandise’s goal is to get you to buy product while you’re there. I think both of those departments would say Ghostbusters was a big help in making their jobs easier for HHN29.

*whispers* most departments probably could care less about the size of the line to enter the house.

And to jump ahead of the “But the GSATs said people didn’t like the house” comments, I’d argue that, again, most departments don’t care about those (to an an extent).

Marketing’s goal is to get you into the event. Merchandise’s goal is to get you to buy product while you’re there. I think both of those departments would say Ghostbusters was a big help in making their jobs easier for HHN29.
Well, A&D cares. But you're bringing up valid arguments that highlight the conflicting priorities of all the departments that put the event together.

There are also a lot of factors that go into the "amount of people" in a line, the biggest of which isn't popularity--it's efficiency. A house that avoids "backwards scares" or stalls (where guests stop or move backwards when the performers appear), will push more people through and have a shorter line. Watching the videos, Yeti and Depths were actually TERRIBLE with this, which numerous spots that forced a performer to appear in front of guests (which stops them, and the line behind them). Houses with a lot of parallel, forward, or passive scares (which allow guests to continue moving, or force guests ahead (like Ghostbusters) can hide the popularity.

GSATs are a factor, but Management and Entertainment legitimately care about them more than any other department. Because you're right--once a guest buys a ticket, Marketing's job is done.

I imagine they sold a metric ton of Ghostbusters merch.

Twin Peaks is #1, 2, and 3 on my wishlist, but know it will never happen.

Probably for the best, since if it ever happened, I'd have to move to Orlando for a month or two, so I could go through it every night.

Yep it’s never going to happen. I asked Charles about the possibility of doing a TP house while I was working as a ScareActor and was met with a “We wish!”

They’d have to get Lynch involved to do the house any justice and he wouldn’t be into the idea. Doubt he’d even give up the rights for TP.

Couldn't tell ya.

Unpopular opinion, I really liked the GB house. I think deep down people just really, really don't want big crowds. And also don't want to see younger people... even though Universal can't rely on the same demographic forever.

I may have liked it if they had been allowed to get creative with it—and no, one scene of going inside the generator does not count. Put it this way, MIB would suck if it was just a book report of the film, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.