The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 141 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a Sabrina comic collection being sold at Target this week (with reprints of the recent series, that's waaaaay more objectionable than the show).

I guess the general public can overlook some Satanic elements as long as a pretty blonde girl is front and center.

I work for Target. I don’t think you can judge things based on their actions. They tend to double down on things when controversy occurs. Target has huge Pride sections at their stores during Pride. They sell specialized Pride shirts for their employees, and had Pulse memorial shirts made since they lost an employee.

Universal recently removed dead angels from a house to avoid controversy, though.

I work for Target. I don’t think you can judge things based on their actions. They tend to double down on things when controversy occurs. Target has huge Pride sections at their stores during Pride. They sell specialized Pride shirts for their employees, and had Pulse memorial shirts made since they lost an employee.

Universal recently removed dead angels from a house to avoid controversy, though.

I do think that it's kind of funny that your example compares Satanism to gay/queerness in the public's eyes. Not saying that you're wrong...it's just funny and a little sad.

To your point on the angels, that was going to be much more obvious than most things they could use for Sabrina. A demon ripping off an Angel's wings is probably more objectionable than a big 'ol goat creature in the woods. No matter what it's meant to represent.

I do think that it's kind of funny that your example compares Satanism to gay/queerness in the public's eyes. Not saying that you're wrong...it's just funny and a little sad.

To your point on the angels, that was going to be much more obvious than most things they could use for Sabrina. A demon ripping off an Angel's wings is probably more objectionable than a big 'ol goat creature in the woods. No matter what it's meant to represent.

It was off the type of my head examples of them ignoring controversy. They were the first things I thought of, unfortunately, when it comes to things that may offend a certain mindset. It is sad. Spending the majority of my time in the LGBTQ community has shown me that the same individuals who have issues with representations of horror and satanic elements, also, have issues with the LGBTQ community.

Sabrina has had a large backlash from that mindset already.

It was off the type of my head examples of them ignoring controversy. They were the first things I thought of, unfortunately, when it comes to things that may offend a certain mindset. It is sad. Spending the majority of my time in the LGBTQ community has shown me that the same individuals who have issues with representations of horror and satanic elements, also, have issues with the LGBTQ community.

To your point about Target. Maybe it isn't the best example, just one that I came up with off the top of my head as well.

I did buy the below bluray of "Satanic Panic" at Walmart this year because it had a censored slipcase.

And the satanists are the bad guys in that movie!!!

1581958315449.png

Reactions: mystiquephreeq

Everything is offensive now (on both sides).

Honestly I wouldn't think they would bring ST back, last year was both seasons basically jammed pack into one house, there was nothing missing, they basically put all they could in that house and the ending of the season with The Demogorgon's final scare, there is not gonna be a continuation of ST if they made another house, also I don't think they'll make another one.

As for Sabrina, I don't think it needs to be a house neither does Haunting of Hill House, not every Netflix-type scare series needs a house, Would you want Birdbox haunted house? I don't think so, I rather them bring in another ip they've been trying to capture to bring to the event. These Netflix shows are cool but rather get other peoples' appeal with other ips, The Umbrella Academy is not scary, cool show but not scary.

The one thing Joe Hill doesn't want himself being put is in the shadow of his father but people will always see him as being the son of a famous writer. I can see him trying to go about a different way with his "style" but people will relate his work to what his father has done with his stories. The fact that he didn't want people to know that his father was Stephen King to go about with his career.

His success is directly related to being Stephen King’s son—not talent. His dialogue is, legitimately, some of the worst I’ve ever read. His success is an indictment against the publishing/media industry.

Pardon me for derailing for a second.

He got his start, and was published, before anyone knew that he was King's son. He even talks about this exact subject in the intro to his latest collection.

It was a conscious decision to drop the "King" and use a shortened version of his middle name.

His brother Owen on the other hand...

(One caveat: I also have a conspiracy theory that both he and King ghost write pieces of each others novels. Especially Doctor Sleep)

The one thing Joe Hill doesn't want himself being put is in the shadow of his father but people will always see him as being the son of a famous writer.
Which is fine, but he sold his first manuscript because he’s Kong’s son, and his book was a financial success because he’s King son. Many of his stories lean into the King’s imagery and conceptual framework.

If he wasn’t blood, people wouldn’t know who he is.

EDIT -
Pardon me for derailing for a second.

He got his start, and was published, before anyone knew that he was King's son. He even talks about this exact subject in the intro to his latest collection.

It was a conscious decision to drop the "King" and use a shortened version of his middle name.

His brother Owen on the other hand...

(One caveat: I also have a conspiracy theory that both he and King ghost write pieces of each others novels. Especially Doctor Sleep)
That may be the party line, but it’s not how the publishing industry works.

Reactions: Allison
Which is fine, but he sold his first manuscript because he’s Kong’s son, and his book was a financial success because he’s King son. Many of his stories lean into the King’s imagery and conceptual framework.

If he wasn’t blood, people wouldn’t know who he is.

Yeah he had talked about it, but at the time when he made it, no one knew who his father was. He had said he was just a insecure guy who was trying to get his story at the time out, and no one was aware that Stephen King was his father. An editor wanted to put his project and his pen name was revealed and now everyone is aware that he was the son of King, he wanted to just be called Joe Hill, that was pen name he was writing under.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.