The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 161 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So are they announcing the first house at Peacock or not? I would expect we have the first house by Easter.

Last edited:
March?

BTW, the Candyman trailer made me think of this:

Yes. March 20.

EDIT - Don’t get too excited with that. Again, it’s a guess. I don’t expect an announcement on Friday the 13th, because Friday’s are news dumps and Universal has started leveraging traditional media to amplify announcements. Nor do I expect a HHN announcement to be included in Live because any announcement will likely get lost in the churn of everything else happening at Live.

Announcing a house 7-10 days prior to Live allows it to go through a full media cycle before Live, while giving the HHN panel something to talk about at live. Since most announcements have occurred on Thursdays... the 20th.

Last edited:
Yes. March 20.

EDIT - Don’t get too excited with that. Again, it’s a guess. I don’t expect an announcement on Friday the 13th, because Friday’s are news dumps and Universal has started leveraging traditional media to amplify announcements. Nor do I expect a HHN announcement to be included in Live because any announcement will likely get lost in the churn of everything else happening at Live.

Announcing a house 7-10 days prior to Live allows it to go through a full media cycle before Live, while giving the HHN panel something to talk about at live. Since most announcements have occurred on Thursdays... the 20th.

Do you have a pretty good idea what the first announcement will be?

Nope. A general vibe, but nowhere close to certain.

ok given the chat tonight it would appear to be that if any house announcement was to be talked about it would be something announced ahead of time. And likely not a 4 park announcement but maybe separate things for each park. This suggests you’re expecting original announcements rather than IP, but willing to stick your neck out on this yet?

ok given the chat tonight it would appear to be that if any house announcement was to be talked about it would be something announced ahead of time. And likely not a 4 park announcement but maybe separate things for each park. This suggests you’re expecting original announcements rather than IP, but willing to stick your neck out on this yet?

I would be shocked if they announced an original house before an IP house. I can't remember the last time that happened. But, I wouldn't not be at all surprised to see and icon announced first.

It’s all a vibe, and an awareness of history. Universal has never shared an IP between all four parks at the same time. Even when Stranger Things was at its biggest, Tokyo didn’t do it. They’re all different markets with different audiences. If Stranger Things doesn’t hit all four at once, nothing will. So with that, I don’t expect a four-park house announcement at all. That means it’s either four exclusives for each park, or (what I’ve been saying) no announcements at all. They have decades of history and experience to discuss. It doesn’t need an announcement.
I would be shocked if they announced an original house before an IP house. I can't remember the last time that happened. But, I wouldn't not be at all surprised to see and icon announced first.
I still expect an IP to get announced first. But an anniversary or Terra Cruentes house could serve as a first announcement with an IP shortly after.

Reactions: Kadath
Just go in open minded and with hopes not high, just an event where each coast can talk about their event and how they've grown these past years, announcement or no, I would love to hear what they all have to say at the panel, should be really cool stories shared among everyone and to each other. :)

Reactions: Legacy
I still expect an IP to get announced first. But an anniversary or Terra Cruentes house could serve as a first announcement with an IP shortly after.

I could see a "Return of Jack" first announcement. Then a big ticket IP house. Then an anniversary house. Part of it depends on how they plan to handle TC - is it going to be a house, zone, both, more? If it's going to be a house I have a little difficult time believing it would be the first house announcement simply because likely half of the people interested in HHN would have no idea what the hell Terra Cruentus/Queen is, and they usually like the first announcement to be a bang. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
After seeing the Candyman trailer I would be shocked if it didn’t come. So long as it’s not too overly political I can’t see why Universal wouldn’t do it. MGM could be a theoretical problem but Universal worked with them on Poltergeist

Reactions: Kadath
Personally I think it might go down the way it went down for 25, where we had a Jack reveal (albeit that was teased muuuuch further out) which essentially confirmed an icon/anniversary house without actually having to confirm an icon house (I think M&M was one of the last things actually confirmed that year)

@Legacy —are you still hearing/thinking zone?

This is one I can actually see working as a zone OR a house. I think, as a house, it would be a big improvement over Ghostbusters because the set pieces lend itself to being scarier, or at least more intense, if done correctly. A zone would almost be like a show on the streets I would think. I hope they don't overdo it though - pick EITHER a house, zone, or show.

I could see a "Return of Jack" first announcement. Then a big ticket IP house. Then an anniversary house. Part of it depends on how they plan to handle TC - is it going to be a house, zone, both, more? If it's going to be a house I have a little difficult time believing it would be the first house announcement simply because likely half of the people interested in HHN would have no idea what the hell Terra Cruentus/Queen is, and they usually like the first announcement to be a bang. Just my opinion though.
If they do a "Return of Jack" announcement first, then that could theoretically be the only "four-park reveal." It would be easy enough to pull off by simply having Jack crash the panel. He's appeared at Orlando, Hollywood, and Singapore already, and (because he's an original creation) could be used in Tokyo with no rights concerns (every country has their own rights usage laws). The problem is, he's not actually big outside the fandom and could potentially cause confusion where people think he's Pennywise and that Universal announced IT (happens all the time). In other words, leading with him in that manner doesn't really align with how Universal has marketed the event the last three years.

Terra Cruentes would likely be the first or second original announced. An anniversary house (if it happens--remember, they're two different things) would likely be one of the last be the most expected.

EDIT -

@Legacy —are you still hearing/thinking zone?
Rumor shifted a couple of days after I posted the clue.

I saw IM last night. While it was good I don’t see it ever being a full house. However, I can see it as a room or 2 in a mash up house or in a new era UM house(it will still be hard to have the IM in the house scaring).

So on the subject of the Classic Monsters, I’m wondering what they could do with a house starring the Bride, like rumored. Throw the Brides of Dracula into the mix and that’s easy to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.