Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tier 2: Popular True-Horror - Here is where the Conjuring, IT, the Titans of Terror, Scream, etc. reside. The reason why it's Tier 2 is because its closer association with horror does turn off a segment of the general population. This is what attracts the "horror casuals" I referred to previously (people who will go see Conjuring, but won't bother watching Hellraiser).

Tier 3: Known True-Horror - Here is actually where a good number of HHN stuff falls, and what most HHN fans want to see. The Thing, Halloween, Child's Play, Hellraiser, and the like fall here. This is for stuff that the "horror casuals" are aware of, but may have never bothered seeing. They work as headlining filler. Honestly, I'd argue Haunting of Hill House and the Classic Monsters fall here.

I'd put it in either Tier 2 or 3.

This makes me extremely happy. I understand that in no way does this mean it is happening (whatever "it" is I feel like, given the types of IPs you are referring to I would strongly approve). But I also understand, now more than ever, that any bit of happiness is to be embraced, even if it's short-lived. So, appreciate that!

Is it possible Sabrina and gremlins are potentially not coming because of WB?
Very possible. I know that Sabrina was never even planned for this years event. But Gremlins I have heard they most likely lost the rights to or decided to scrap. It was suppose to be a house. But my source says not anymore. But we don’t know for sure what will be coming until things are announced.

Very possible. I know that Sabrina was never even planned for this years event. But Gremlins I have heard they most likely lost the rights to or decided to scrap. It was suppose to be a house. But my source says not anymore. But we don’t know for sure what will be coming until things are announced.
You think it’s possible it was never planned and they decided to do it as a last minute house? I heard sabrina and hill house were both a possibility for a little bit around last month or so

Plot twist: 2020 has just been another one of her stories. ;)

Seriously, I’d be really happy with any of the non-clown icons.
same here, but you guys can probably guess that i have a soft spot for HHN 15, so anything relating to that year is more than sufficient for me. IF an icon is to come, it’ll probably be the terra queen, and that would be a dream come true, but i’m excited about the possibility of an icon other than jack to take charge in the ip era! :heart:

Hill House is definitely happening and is most likely going into B108(where Seeds & Monsters where)
I figured hull house was a def I was mostly curious if sabrina was a last min or maybe they put it on the map to hide a big horror IP so we have a few surprises. Kinda like how they didn’t straight up say ghostbusters last year

Your definition of a "strong" IP?

This also has a lot to do with box office numbers. For instance, Ghostbusters brought in 3X the money that Beetlejuice made. This is also why we're getting a Bourne show and why we have a F&F ride...$$$

I think we've talked about this a lot in the past, but Universal doesn't have a ton of heavy hitters waiting in line anymore. Big names like Halloween, Saw, Blumhouse, and the big 3 TV headliners feel tired at this point and other big IPs like The Thing, TCM, Jurassic Park, Alien, Ghostbusters, etc. have either already been done before or have already inspired classic Original houses in the past.

So what's left? Among sparse others, we have Hellraiser, Gremlins, Day of the Dead, Beetlejuice, The Ring, They Live, and Paranormal Activity. All of them could work fine as the B or C tier houses of an event but I really struggle to see anything here as the headliner, barring maybe Hellraiser.

Scream, IT, and Conjuring are the biggest IPs in line and all three have huge obstacles in the way of them coming to the event. Has it happened before? We got The Shining so nothing is truly impossible, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not surprised if IP houses this year seem a little less grand than in the past.

From what I've been reading, a point has faded from all of this conversation. In my opinion, Universal doesn't need the support of heavy hitter IP's during these anniversary years(especially the 10 year ones). All they need is their ads and merch to say is HHN30 and boom, it's valuable. Quite honestly, they should save any big or semi-big IP in their back pocket for 2022, because I think next year could be a great way to somehow market 31 as important. That's the date of Halloween and the fact it will never happen again, nor will it get an anniversary every 5 to 10 years.

Two cents deposited.

Assuming this whole Gremlins thing is true, is this looking to be Gremlins 1 only? Or would it be like Ghostbusters where it’s only the 1st movie but characters from the 2nd movie make its appearance. Or hell, maybe both movies combined?
I would say it would probably just be characters from the first movie. The second has a completely different tone that lampoons the first, so much so that the first is almost straight horror in comparison. Think Evil Dead, skipping two, and then watching Army of Darkness. Also the Gremlins have relatively noticeable different designs in both films.

P.S. I love Gremlins 2 and think it is very underrated. After a recent rewatch it is surprisingly relevant in many ways.
I know nothing is confirmed til it's confirmed. But I'm going to be very sad if Gremlins doesn't happen now. It is #1 on my wish list. I just think it would be such a fun house.
All speculation and rumors of course. I am in the same boat with you. Any type of Gremlins attraction would make my childhood dreams come true :( If the rumored location was true maybe it is for the best. I feel like that (presumably) small space would not do the movie justice.

From what I've been reading, a point has faded from all of this conversation. In my opinion, Universal doesn't need the support of heavy hitter IP's during these anniversary years(especially the 10 year ones). All they need is their ads and merch to say is HHN30 and boom, it's valuable. Quite honestly, they should save any big or semi-big IP in their back pocket for 2022, because I think next year could be a great way to somehow market 31 as important. That's the date of Halloween and the fact it will never happen again, nor will it get an anniversary every 5 to 10 years.

Two cents deposited.
Well, it’s been ten years since the last decennial, and HHN has relied on IPs for the last eight years. Recent history is more telling than ancient history. Even 25, a much “bigger” anniversary than 20 or 30, had Freddy vs Jason, TWD, The Purge, Insidious, and American Werewolf (for those counting at home, that’s a Tier 1, three Tier 2s, and a Tier 4). So, the last anniversary was an extremely heavy IP year.

IPs matter. Full stop.

This also has a lot to do with box office numbers. For instance, Ghostbusters brought in 3X the money that Beetlejuice made. This is also why we're getting a Bourne show and why we have a F&F ride...$$$

Two cents deposited.
see, i feel like an important point is also missing from your analysis. it’s not only an anniversary year, but an anniversary year that’s expected to take place right after a global pandemic. UO is probably wanting this event to essentially make up for the lost profits it acquired during its closure, so these mega ips are gonna be what intrigues the casual haunt goer.

Well, it’s been ten years since the last decennial, and HHN has relied on IPs for the last eight years. Recent history is more telling than ancient history. Even 25, a much “bigger” anniversary than 20 or 30, had Freddy vs Jason, TWD, The Purge, Insidious, and American Werewolf (for those counting at home, that’s a Tier 1, three Tier 2s, and a Tier 4). So, the last anniversary was an extremely heavy IP year.

IPs matter. Full stop.

IP's do matter, but a lot of the IP's were forgettable that year and I would guess that people remember Jack and the carnival font on all of the merch, not the Purge or TWD. It was also the year they returned American Werewolf in London, so if they need IP this year, why not bring back a best of IP houses? You could link the Storyteller by saying these are the best horror stories ever told.

see, i feel like an important point is also missing from your analysis. it’s not only an anniversary year, but an anniversary year that’s expected to take place right after a global pandemic. UO is probably wanting this event to essentially make up for the lost profits it acquired during its closure, so these mega ips are gonna be what intrigues the casual haunt goer.
True, but another point would be they need The Conjuring, Halloween, etc. Either go big or go home, because Gremlins and Beetlejuice aren't going to save attendance numbers if that's what they're aiming to do. So I'm saying, place those in their back pocket for another year so that they can save the $ on IP use and use them as a wildcard for another year where maybe it will matter. I believe "30" will sell just as much as those two IP's as the "headliners" this particular year.

IP's do matter, but a lot of the IP's were forgettable that year and I would guess that people remember Jack and the carnival font on all of the merch, not the Purge or TWD. It was also the year they returned American Werewolf in London, so if they need IP this year, why not bring back a best of IP houses? You could link the Storyteller by saying these are the best horror stories ever told.

I think what Legacy is trying to say is IPs bring new and semi-frequent butts through turnstiles.

True, but another point would be they need The Conjuring, Halloween, etc. Either go big or go home, because Gremlins and Beetlejuice aren't going to save attendance numbers if that's what they're aiming to do. So I'm saying, place those in their back pocket for another year so that they can save the $ on IP use and use them as a wildcard for another year where maybe it will matter. I believe "30" will sell just as much as those two IP's as the "headliners" this particular year.

yeah the map this year wouldnt help me persuade friends into going, and i will love a bettllejuice and gremlins houses a lot. but sabrina, billie and even hillhouse arent ips that would help to bring out of state friends.
last year i bragged about the lagoon show to people a lot, but a billie lagoon show would be hard to sell for non fans. these ips could turn out as amazing properties at hhn, but they arent as iconic.

Status
Not open for further replies.