The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 322 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they wouldn’t do a Sabrina house (at least here) due to satanism, a Get Out house due to racism, would they really be that dense as to do a house based entirely on domestic abuse?

Especially now?

I think you are forgetting the fact that both Hollywood & Orlando did the First Purge in 2018 (Hollywood Maze, Orlando Section in HOB) despite the content matters of that film.

Here's the thing - I think you hit the nail on the head on why an Invisible Man 2020 maze would not "work," but that doesn't mean I think they won't necessarily give it a go anyway.
I think in general, as successful as Invisible Man was, when you look at how much of a can of worms it is, between how hard it is to make a maze about an Invisible antagonist without making them visible, thus rendering the title void, and the difficulty of the subject matter, it would overall be easier for them to just do a different Universal Monsters property, since that avoids the issue entirely while still technically promoting the same franchise.

I think you are forgetting the fact that both Hollywood & Orlando did the First Purge in 2018 (Hollywood Maze, Orlando Section in HOB) despite the content matters of that film.
The thing with The First Purge is that the maze was based more around the concept and characters of the movie rather than the actual story, making it easy to cut/edit the sensitive content of the film, with Invisible Man, the sensitive content is essentially the entire motivation for both the protagonist and antagonist, as well as the catalyst for the story, making it basically impossible to accurately represent that story without it. If they were to try and remove it at that point they'd be better off just doing a maze based on the original Invisible Man instead.

If they wouldn’t do a Sabrina house (at least here) due to satanism, a Get Out house due to racism, would they really be that dense as to do a house based entirely on domestic abuse?

Especially now?

I think you may be overestimating what the general perception of an Invisible Man maze would be.

I’m pretty sure—and someone please correct me if I’m wrong here—that not doing Get Out was more of a request from the creators, and not as much of an internal decision to not do it as a house.

The Satanism/Sabrina thing was optics, and has precedence.

I don’t think either scenario plays a factor in the decision to move forward with an Invisible Man house.

I never saw that film or had any interest in the franchise, so I can’t speak of it but unless it’s blatantly obviously about domestic abuse (movies like The Invisible Man, Enough, Sleeping With The Enemy, etc.) or blatantly about racism or any of the other topics that Universal won’t go near then I’m clearly missing your point.

I think you may be overestimating what the general perception of an Invisible Man maze would be.

Literally every basic synopsis of the film makes mention of abuse, even Comcast themselves I believe calls the antagonist a crazed boyfriend in their description for On Demand-I think you might be underestimating just how bad making light of domestic abuse is gonna look for Universal if they do this.

Reactions: Doctor Morgus
Here's the thing - I think you hit the nail on the head on why an Invisible Man 2020 maze would not "work," but that doesn't mean I think they won't necessarily give it a go anyway.

Especially now?

Oh, as tasteless as I think an Invisible Man house would be, I wouldn’t be that surprised if Universal attempted it. Domestic abuse, disappointingly, isn’t something that causes “overt” offense like racism or satanism. It’s something that, in general, our culture turns a willful blind eye to. A lot of people view it as “something that just happens” that “isn’t their problem.”

When you consider the leadership of A&D has one woman (in a “non-creative” position), it’s remarkably easy to see how there would be a blind spot to the bulk of the decision-makers when it comes to this particular property and issue.

I never saw that film or had any interest in the franchise, so I can’t speak of it but unless it’s blatantly obviously about domestic abuse (movies like The Invisible Man, Enough, Sleeping With The Enemy, etc.) or blatantly about racism or any of the other topics that Universal won’t go near then I’m clearly missing your point.
They had the Klu Klux Klan as a villain in the film

They had the Klu Klux Klan as a villain in the film

So the movie was entirely about racism and had KKK members in the house? And nobody did or said anything about it? They just selfishly and stupidly made a house based on racists?

I guess Universal’s worse than I thought they were.

@Legacy I can’t edit to quote your post but, I was hopeful the people higher up weren’t so shortsighted as to think domestic violence is something to turn a blind eye on but it looks like I’m wrong.

I’m pretty sure—and someone please correct me if I’m wrong here—that not doing Get Out was more of a request from the creators, and not as much of an internal decision to not do it as a house.

The Satanism/Sabrina thing was optics, and has precedence.

I don’t think either scenario plays a factor in the decision to move forward with an Invisible Man house.
Wait, can we verify that the Sabrina house was a no go because of Satanism?

Also you can make an Invisible Man house without glorifying domestic abuse. I thought the movie was great. I trust Universal to do it right. Rather have Gremlins though that would have been spectacular.

Also you can make an Invisible Man house without glorifying domestic abuse. I thought the movie was great. I trust Universal to do it right. Rather have Gremlins though that would have been spectacular.

there’s no way to “verify” anything right now. It’s not even verified that they were serious about doing Sabrina, or if they have even cut it if it is happening.

It’s not a concern about “glorifying” it, it’s a concern about trivializing it. There’s a concern that the presentation of such a sensitive, traumatic topic won’t be presented in an appropriate manner.

Haunted house aren’t exactly capable of nuanced storytelling or characterizations. In the case of Invisible Man, as a property and character, it isn’t the murder or general violence that makes it scary, it’s the manipulative obsession that drives him. His belief that he “owns” our protagonist and the extent he goes to prove it by driving away the people she loves most and making her question reality itself. If you ignore that in the house, you’re saying it isn’t important when it’s actually the only thing that matters. If you present it in the house, then you’re taking a very real, very present, and very horrifying trauma that a number of guests will have experienced and saying, “We find the horror of this experience entertaining.”

This reminds me of my issues with Nightingales in 2011. War isn’t entertaining or a set piece. It’s something that causes very real trauma to thousands. We shouldn’t see a “pandemic” or “plague” house this year because *gestures wildly.* And even those numbers pale when compared to numbers of victims of some form of domestic abuse. With Invisible Man, they either white wash the entire point of the movie (which trivializes the horror of domestic abuse) or they recreate it completely (which trivializes the experience of domestic abuse). Just imagine if a survivor of domestic violence gets cast a victim in the house.

Ringwraith has said that one of Billie, "Earthquake," and IM is a go. Since I'm still holding out hope (aside from...well) that spec map 2 is true, that would likely make IM a likely fill in for "secret IP."

Or maybe it could be Billie getting her own house...

Reactions: londonwerecat
It’s not a concern about “glorifying” it, it’s a concern about trivializing it. There’s a concern that the presentation of such a sensitive, traumatic topic won’t be presented in an appropriate manner.

Haunted house aren’t exactly capable of nuanced storytelling or characterizations. In the case of Invisible Man, as a property and character, it isn’t the murder or general violence that makes it scary, it’s the manipulative obsession that drives him. His belief that he “owns” our protagonist and the extent he goes to prove it by driving away the people she loves most and making her question reality itself. If you ignore that in the house, you’re saying it isn’t important when it’s actually the only thing that matters. If you present it in the house, then you’re taking a very real, very present, and very horrifying trauma that a number of guests will have experienced and saying, “We find the horror of this experience entertaining.”

This reminds me of my issues with Nightingales in 2011. War isn’t entertaining or a set piece. It’s something that causes very real trauma to thousands. We shouldn’t see a “pandemic” or “plague” house this year because *gestures wildly.* And even those numbers pale when compared to numbers of victims of some form of domestic abuse. With Invisible Man, they either white wash the entire point of the movie (which trivializes the horror of domestic abuse) or they recreate it completely (which trivializes the experience of domestic abuse). Just imagine if a survivor of domestic violence gets cast a victim in the house.

MTE, and said much better than I can.

Statistically one in four women, and one in seven men, have been victim to domestic abuse. They will most likely have actors cast who have been victims, and they will most likely cast actors that have been the abusers themselves. Meaning there will most certainly be many guests per night walking through that have survived domestic abuse, and there will absolutely be abusers going through as well.

If TPTB decide something like that is ok to essentially make a mockery of then that’s on their conscience, but there’s no way I’ll respect or agree with a decision like that.

So the movie was entirely about racism and had KKK members in the house? And nobody did or said anything about it? They just selfishly and stupidly made a house based on racists?

I just want to point out that this is inaccurate as far as I can recall. I do not remember the scenes involving the KKK members being present in the house at all (at least in Orlando, can't speak for Hollywood and I don't remember the walkthrough videos for it).

This was a relatively brief plot point in the film involving a church scene and a store shootout scene, and the house did not utilize either of those setpieces or sets of characters.

Ringwraith has said that one of Billie, "Earthquake," and IM is a go. Since I'm still holding out hope (aside from...well) that spec map 2 is true, that would likely make IM a likely fill in for "secret IP."

Or maybe it could be Billie getting her own house...

I’m leaning on Billie getting her own house honestly. Considering her role in the event has changed in rumor like three times now, what’s one more?

IM has never made sense to me even before the domestic abuse stuff.

Honestly though, I think “Earthquake” could be a misinterpretation of something that is happening still, but for now it sounds very generic.

MTE, and said much better than I can.

Statistically one in four women, and one in seven men, have been victim to domestic abuse. They will most likely have actors cast who have been victims, and they will most likely cast actors that have been the abusers themselves. Meaning there will most certainly be many guests per night walking through that have survived domestic abuse, and there will absolutely be abusers going through as well.

If TPTB decide something like that is ok to essentially make a mockery of then that’s on their conscience, but there’s no way I’ll respect or agree with a decision like that.
[/
I dunno if I’m talking to a troll here, so I’m sorry to everyone else if I am, but something seems very unlikely they’d cast people possibly triggered by the surrounding environment, and even more unlikely they’d cast convicts to jump at you in a small dark space

I just want to point out that this is inaccurate as far as I can recall. I do not remember the scenes involving the KKK members being present in the house at all (at least in Orlando, can't speak for Hollywood and I don't remember the walkthrough videos for it).

This was a relatively brief plot point in the film involving a church scene and a store shootout scene, and the house did not utilize either of those setpieces or sets of characters.

I appreciate the explanation, never saw the film or experienced the maze so I didn’t know that info.

I dunno if I’m talking to a troll here, so I’m sorry to everyone else if I am, but something seems very unlikely they’d cast people possibly triggered by the surrounding environment, and even more unlikely they’d cast convicts to jump at you in a small dark space

“I dunno if I’m talking to a troll here”...are you serious?

It is statistically factual that one in four women and one in seven men have been a victim of domestic violence at some point in time in their life.

Just because someone hasn’t been convicted of a crime, doesn’t mean they didn’t do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.