The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 324 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On another topic entirely- I am 5 episodes into haunting of hill house and I am increasingly underwhelmed.

I’m routinely guessing poor dialogue, surprise scares (about 2 per episode), and plot “twists” accurately, and I’m usually one who never guesses in movies. The plot is so slow that my mind starts working on parallel tracks and solves these puzzles easily on its own. I won’t list any spoilers here, and good for you if you enjoyed it, but it seems surprisingly tame and boring for a “scary” series, and makes me fear a house. My 12 year old son actually fell asleep watching episode 5, at 6 pm.

I feel like it was promoted as amazing storytelling, and an incredibly scary series that some people will struggle to get through due to the creepiness. What are we missing here? Opinion is unanimously shared between the 3 of us watching it (me, 15 yr old, and 12 yr old).

Rebuttals requested. Thanks!
These were my exact thoughts after watching

Reactions: Dr. Herbert West
On another topic entirely- I am 5 episodes into haunting of hill house and I am increasingly underwhelmed.

I’m routinely guessing poor dialogue, surprise scares (about 2 per episode), and plot “twists” accurately, and I’m usually one who never guesses in movies. The plot is so slow that my mind starts working on parallel tracks and solves these puzzles easily on its own. I won’t list any spoilers here, and good for you if you enjoyed it, but it seems surprisingly tame and boring for a “scary” series, and makes me fear a house. My 12 year old son actually fell asleep watching episode 5, at 6 pm.

I feel like it was promoted as amazing storytelling, and an incredibly scary series that some people will struggle to get through due to the creepiness. What are we missing here? Opinion is unanimously shared between the 3 of us watching it (me, 15 yr old, and 12 yr old).

It had the hype of being prestige. That said, episodes 6 and 7 are extremely good. Both significantly ramp up the emotional stakes for the characters. Then it kinda meanders again until the ending. The “big twist” isn’t great, but there are a couple of subtle reveals that work really well.

I loved every second of it, personally. But I've also been a Mike Flanagan stan since 2011, when I was an intern at this rinky-dink film festival outside Chicago that showed his first film. I can definitely see how it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. It is slow, and it tends to use horror as an underlying tonal element rather than a primary stylistic element, but that's always been his MO. His films and shows are more like character dramas that dip into horror and the supernatural in order to underline certain emotions and themes. The way he blends the past and present and alternate timelines all together is just so moving, it's like he creates these suspended notions of time and space (as they relate to TV/movie, that is) and then injects them with really creepy images and situations. It's so satisfying and unique.

And a house will be easy to pull off. The elements are all there, the HHN team just needs to ramp everything up to 11.

The craftsmanship of episode 6 should blow your mind, and there’s at least one scare that I can almost guarantee you won’t see coming later in the series.

It’s really not that scary of a show, it’s just really well put together, and oozes atmosphere.

Reactions: Daza and Sledge

I thought the show was very well produced, each individual story was fleshed out well, and there were plenty of creepy characters lurking about. It really starts ramping up around episode 6. That all being said, I don't think it's nearly as good as Stranger Things imo. HoHH is a very solid show, but not an elite level show - again my opinion. I do think it could make an amazing house, however, with the atmosphere, set pieces, "monsters", identifiable characters, etc.

The main problem with the show to me didn’t have to do with the show itself, it has to do with all the hype surrounding it. Before I started it, I was told by multiple people that it was one of the scariest things they’d seen. The first episode was very scary, but after that I found myself constantly waiting for the scares. It is a very good show if you look at it from a non-horror, family drama perspective. Though I can’t envision an HHN house based on it, I’m sure they’ll knock it out of the park, as they always do

Reactions: JJ591

To be entirely frank, even though I really enjoyed Hill House, I haven't rewatched it and really don't remember the story that well. However, I do remember a lot of really creepy moments and great ghost designs, and I think that convinced me it would make a good house.
Also, off topic but I just realized that between Hill House, Beetlejuice, and Legendary Truth, if all those come theres a surprising amount of ghost mazes this year.

EDIT:
I could picture them potentially utilizing some of the hidden ghosts in the series.

I honestly think that's a really great idea, if they somehow just hid ghosts all over the maze it could be a really creepy thing to notice on repeat walkthroughs.

I could picture them potentially utilizing some of the hidden ghosts in the series.

I could see it being similar to House of Horrors at 22. Much of the terror can come from a feeling of “did I just see that?”

Anyway, I find it scarier than, say, Freddy and Jason. Executed correctly and it could be an extremely scary house.

Still driving me crazy trying to guess what the IP/original ratio is, and what the seven “locked in” houses on TPU’s list are (well, five of them are pretty down pat I think, but trying to figure out the other two UGH).

Last edited:
Reactions: Allison
I enjoyed Hill House, save for the ending. I think it benefited from Stranger Things and everyone wanting the next Great series, which this was most definitely not.
Enjoyable, yes, Great, NO!

Not directly related to this year's event, but I think it's the first piece of press we've seen from HHN Orlando in a little while!: Behind the Scenes: The Hive

The Hive's trailer played during the queue for Slaughter Sinema as well, so I feel the creative team has somewhat of a soft spot for it. Maybe it will turn up as part of the "Legendary Truth: Carey" house this year, if it winds up being an anniversary/montage house of sorts.

On a personal note, this is the kind of thing I love to see from Uni's team. Heck, if a behind-the-scenes or official footage of previous years (old queue videos, event footage, new interviews, etc...) DVD/documentary set was assembled & released to the public, I would purchase it in a heartbeat. Anything that delves into the history and educates folks on the creative element of the event.

Last edited:
Not directly related to this year's event, but I think it's the first piece of press we've seen from HHN Orlando in a little while!: Behind the Scenes: The Hive

The Hive's trailer played during the queue for Slaughter Sinema as well, so I feel the creative team has somewhat of a soft spot for it. Maybe it will turn up as part of the "Legendary Truth: Carey" house this year, if it winds up being an anniversary/montage house of sorts.

That was posted, but there is a new one that just came out:

They also posted one for Twisted Traditions today. Could coincide with the rumored Pumpkin house...

Edit: Looks like Chase beat me to it by seconds.

Reactions: FaceBagman
They also posted one for Twisted Traditions today. Could coincide with the rumored Pumpkin house...

Edit: Looks like Chase beat me to it by seconds.

This did give us a new “Ernst Meier” character who was behind the Twisted Tradition pumpkin creatures (or at least involved in them). And TPU specifically said “Pumpkin King”. Hmmmm...

Reactions: FaceBagman
Status
Not open for further replies.