The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 326 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m coming from the standpoint that I would hate to see the artistic vision of the event diminished because the company wanted to make sure they made money on an event this Fall. You only get once chance to experience the houses and scare zones of a HHN event. The only comparison I can think of is having a choice to watch an edited for TV version of a movie now or see the original version as the director Intended a year later.

That’s just my opinion and that doesn’t mean it’s what they should do or what they are going to do. Most people might have the “something is better than nothing” viewpoint and that’s perfectly fine.

I would also say that my opinion would be totally different if the plan was to present the same houses this year and next year.
Except the designers know the limitations well enough in advance, and the artistic vision has always had to stay within the restraints that practicality allows. SIF and GATs are intended to strictly distract. If anything, removing that stuff allows a greater focus on the scares and scenes.

Compromises to artistic vision happen all the time. Changes and adjustments occur on the fly because reality and artistry, many times, don’t jive. We literally had a house last year cut its primary monster because of vision and comfort issues. The 2010 HotY was, literally, the same house from the year prior only repainted a dull gray with bald people in tank tops. House of Horrors in 2012 was a fan favorite that year when it was designed in 30 days.

These challenges aren’t new to A&D.

Except the designers know the limitations well enough in advance, and the artistic vision has always had to stay within the restraints that practicality allows. SIF and GATs are intended to strictly distract. If anything, removing that stuff allows a greater focus on the scares and scenes.

Compromises to artistic vision happen all the time. Changes and adjustments occur on the fly because reality and artistry, many times, don’t jive. We literally had a house last year cut its primary monster because of vision and comfort issues. The 2010 HotY was, literally, the same house from the year prior only repainted a dull gray with bald people in tank tops. House of Horrors in 2012 was a fan favorite that year when it was designed in 30 days.

That’s fair. But the type of changes I’m thinking about are on a whole other level from those types of challenges. We will find out soon enough once their parks open and if they feel like they can run the event.

I would absolutely love to hear these stories, if you're allowed to divulge. Stories of creative ingenuity and of things that never were are so interesting to me.

Reactions: shadowrama
Hi everyone, random question here, and apologies in advance if it's already been discussed. I was wondering why video games are not considered as potential IPs by Universal. Does data suggest they dont work, or maybe the rights are too complicated? Currently playing bloodborne and it seems like it could be a great fit despite not being a true horror game, but there are other games that seem like they could work.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mashmingingmasher77
Hi everyone, random question here, and apologies in advance if it's already been discussed. I was wondering why video games are not considered as potential IPs by Universal. Does data suggest they dont work, or maybe the rights are too complicated? Currently playing bloodborne and it seems like it could be a great fit despite not being a true horror game, but there are other games that seem like they could work. I did go the year they had Silent Hill and I wasnt a fan of the house, but I also felt that there were missed opportunities from what the IP could offer
honestly I have no idea, but I feel like video games would probably bring a lot less people in, the average person is much more aware of television shows and movies and video games

Hi everyone, random question here, and apologies in advance if it's already been discussed. I was wondering why video games are not considered as potential IPs by Universal. Does data suggest they dont work, or maybe the rights are too complicated? Currently playing bloodborne and it seems like it could be a great fit despite not being a true horror game, but there are other games that seem like they could work.

1 - Too niche
2 - If you want to do your "homework" before HHN (like watching Gremlins before going thru the Gremlins house), a movie is 90 minutes to 2 hours. A video game is like 20 hours on the minimum end (so games are 40+ hours gameplay to finish). Too much time for many to invest just to go through a HHN house.

I believe @Legacy (and @JJ591 just now) has answered this a few times, but the cliffnotes version of why video game houses are generally tougher to design/present vs. movie/tv show houses:

-Scope of the source material (your average video game is about 20+ hours, whereas a single movie is 2-3, and even a full season of a TV show is about 10 or so hours of content)
-Ease of access to said source material (to research you either play the game [which is a barrier of entry that may prevent everyone from consuming it], or watch a play through [which takes away from the experience for many, as a video game is meant to be an interactive piece of art])
-Familiarity (not everyone is a gamer, and few games, especially horror games, have reached cultural phenomenon levels; those that have will likely have already been tackled in other forms of media that are more easily adaptable)
-Rights and royalties (if you can evoke the same feel as Bioshock through a combination of 1920's steampunk aesthetics and vibes in an original story (that will likely have the same impact to a person who would have come in blind not knowing that original source material anyway), why go through the hoops to play with the IP)

I would absolutely love to hear these stories, if you're allowed to divulge. Stories of creative ingenuity and of things that never were are so interesting to me.
They’re not really secret. The costume designs in Depths of Fear had extremely constrained vision and pulled the performers‘ heads forward so it put a lot of strain on the neck. It made scaring extremely difficult, so they just got rid of the monsters and made the house almost all victims. It’s a similar situation that happened with Creatures! in 2008, although those costumes couldn’t fit through the boo holes.

Havoc in 2010 was a budget build attempt at a “video game” house. The took The Spawning layout, scenic, and scares from 2009 (a house that was considered the worst that year), repainted it look like a military bunker, changed the lights and musics, and that’s all she wrote. The costumes were, literally, camo pants and tank tops, with cheap half-masks. And the house ended up winning HotY.

In 2012, A&D was already constructing a house in Soundstage 44 (the old Herc/Xena building that made way for Transformers) when the decision was made in late-May that the building would be gone before HHN. They had no plans to use the Parade building that year, but this forced their hands. They designed a new house from scratch, using the classic monsters in a purely black and house because it was quicker to design. They technically didn’t finish construction until week two of the event, but it turned into a well-received product. The costumes from the demolished house ended up becoming one of the Hordes that year (Beasts).

They’re not really secret. The costume designs in Depths of Fear had extremely constrained vision and pulled the performers‘ heads forward so it put a lot of strain on the neck. It made scaring extremely difficult, so they just got rid of the monsters and made the house almost all victims. It’s a similar situation that happened with Creatures! in 2008, although those costumes couldn’t fit through the boo holes.

Havoc in 2010 was a budget build attempt at a “video game” house. The took The Spawning layout, scenic, and scares from 2009 (a house that was considered the worst that year), repainted it look like a military bunker, changed the lights and musics, and that’s all she wrote. The costumes were, literally, camo pants and tank tops, with cheap half-masks. And the house ended up winning HotY.

In 2012, A&D was already constructing a house in Soundstage 44 (the old Herc/Xena building that made way for Transformers) when the decision was made in late-May that the building would be gone before HHN. They had no plans to use the Parade building that year, but this forced their hands. They designed a new house from scratch, using the classic monsters in a purely black and house because it was quicker to design. They technically didn’t finish construction until week two of the event, but it turned into a well-received product. The costumes from the demolished house ended up becoming one of the Hordes that year (Beasts).

It's still super weird that they were planning just seven houses that year from the get go and didn't get use of a fourth SS spot until the next year.

I love Bloodbourne! I think they had some issues with Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Not sure people who weren’t familiar with the games cared much for them.

I love Bloodbourne! I think they had some issues with Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Not sure people who weren’t familiar with the games cared much for them.
I think Resident 7 would work well as a house. It has a classic old haunted house atmosphere that’s fun for those who haven’t played the game. It’s also relatively short

Since the conversation popped back up again, here’s the challenges of getting any video game house approved.

There are a few reasons Universal hasn’t done a pure “video game” house. One, the big one, is that video games are a “limited market” compared to movies. While they’re popular, their fan-bases narrow to those who have played the game. As popular as Bioshock is, more people have seen Us. Then, there’s the complication of getting an IP approved by management.

Let’s say A&D is proposing KKfOS and Bioshock to someone who has not seen or played either for approval. The approver can go home, take two hours, and just watch KKfOS. They could watch a full play through (8-12 hours) assuming they can even stomach watching someone else play an FPS (I rarely can). Or, they can play it themselves, assuming they have a console for it, but that is still a much bigger time commitment than a movie. And sure, A&D can put together a sizzle reel, but that doesn’t address potential questions the approver may have.

That’s the reason, I believe, Silent Hill and Resident Evil are the only video game movies they’ve done; they both have movies for the approvers to watch to get a full sense of the IP. Similarly with a TV show. A&D can say, “watch these 2-4 episodes.”
The requirement is different. Video games are active, and modern game controls are confusing if you’re not familiar with them. If the approver isn’t a gamer (considering most of them are late forties to sixties, it’s more likely), you’re asking them to not just learn a game, but learn gaming. And while it’s possible they can do it, it complicates the view of the game itself. It’s entirely possible Bioshock could get refused because a VP couldn’t figure how to invert the controls. Never mind that they first couple of hours of these games amount to, maybe, a third of the total product.

Movies and TV shows are entirely passive, which means anyone can access them. And, in regards to The Witcher, its existence as a TV show (and on Netflix) does increase the possibility it could show up.

And A&D doesn’t have time to parse through 8-20 hours of a video game to put together a sizzle reel. If an approver hadn’t seen Hill House, they could watch the basement, storm, and funeral home episodes and see almost everything they need to see to know the show could work as a house.

Since the conversation popped back up again, here’s the challenges of getting any video game house approved.
I agree, movies appeal more to the masses. If there was a Bioshock house at anytime I’d buy a ticket for every night and cry. My favorite game!! If someone picks up the movie rights again maybe there would be hope. Even now though a lot of gamers haven’t even played it. Resident Evil is probably the only VG property that has a wide enough appeal for a house and it’s been done. R.E. 7 would make a good house though.

Reactions: dxwwf3
Status
Not open for further replies.