Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love for videogame houses to come back and stuff but honestly Universal could already take ideas from videos and make em into originals and make em look good, I mean look at Interstellar Terror from 18 that was inspired by both Dead Space and Event Horizon, and that house was really sick, I would love to see RE7 come because when I played that game, I was the same in thinking that it had good material and settings to work with a house but I think after the first time with Escape, I think they just decided to pass on it for other things.

I'd love for videogame houses to come back and stuff but honestly Universal could already take ideas from videos and make em into originals and make em look good, I mean look at Interstellar Terror from 18 that was inspired by both Dead Space and Event Horizon, and that house was really sick, I would love to see RE7 come because when I played that game, I was the same in thinking that it had good material and settings to work with a house but I think after the first time with Escape, I think they just decided to pass on it for other things.
Interstellar Terror was inspired strictly by Event Horizon. Dead Space wasn’t even released until October 2008. A&D would have had no ability to have actually been inspired by the game.

Interstellar Terror was inspired strictly by Event Horizon. Dead Space wasn’t even released until October 2008. A&D would have had no ability to have actually been inspired by the game.
Well at least I was half right XD I would think the game fell around the same year or something, but would be cool for a sequel house with a new crew and ship and maybe make it inspired by the DS franchise or maybe take inspiration from the Apollo 18 movie.

I hope they announce NOTHING. NOT. ONE. THING. Nothing on a map. Nothing on the app. Nothing on the site. HHN opens at 6 pm on Thursday, September 10th. We walk through the gates to the Terra Queen announcing her return. We have no idea where to go, because we don't know ANY of the houses, so we just pick a direction and run towards it. Only at that point does the app pop up and everyone knows the houses.

NOTE: I KNOW this would never happened. But I think it would be ultra-cool.
I second this idea.

Why are you reposting unsubstantiated rumors between forums? Disney says it's on.

Also between the different re-opening days, different handling annual passes and reservations, I think the Disney and Universal ways of handling this aren’t going to exactly line up like 50/50 vision, so even if Mickey’s WAS cancelled, to me that would mean nothing.

Except the designers know the limitations well enough in advance, and the artistic vision has always had to stay within the restraints that practicality allows. SIF and GATs are intended to strictly distract. If anything, removing that stuff allows a greater focus on the scares and scenes.

Compromises to artistic vision happen all the time. Changes and adjustments occur on the fly because reality and artistry, many times, don’t jive. We literally had a house last year cut its primary monster because of vision and comfort issues. The 2010 HotY was, literally, the same house from the year prior only repainted a dull gray with bald people in tank tops. House of Horrors in 2012 was a fan favorite that year when it was designed in 30 days.

These challenges aren’t new to A&D.

There's also 2001 with the changes post 9/11. Blood turned to green ooze, any references to terror removed, Eddie replaced by Jack. If that happened today there'd be a bunch of folks all panicking, but in the end the event was a success. It debuted multiple fan-favorite house concepts with Scary Tales and RUN, and attendance-wise it was pretty dang beneficial for Universal at that time. People wanted an escape, and HHN provided it.

There's also 2001 with the changes post 9/11. Blood turned to green ooze, any references to terror removed, Eddie replaced by Jack. If that happened today there'd be a bunch of folks all panicking, but in the end the event was a success. It debuted multiple fan-favorite house concepts with Scary Tales and RUN, and attendance-wise it was pretty dang beneficial for Universal at that time. People wanted an escape, and HHN provided it.
Honestly, compared to situations like Scream/Purge and House of Horrors, 2001 was an easy adjustment. A quick “ooze” day, some rewrites and new graphics, done. The event as an event actually saw no changes.

Last edited:
Honestly, compared to situations like Scream/Purge and House of Horrors, 2001 was an easy adjustment. A quick “ooze” day, some rewrites and new graphics, done. The event as an event actually saw no changes.

I remember you discussing scarezones one day only having actors performing on stages and away from crowds due to the event’s popularity. I can see that implemented this year.

It would also cut down on the selfie culture you’ve seen the last few years in scare zones..

Nah, it’s probably make it worse. Rather than characters roaming through, they’re in one location all the time. It’s just asking for crowds to gather around the stages like Chance at 26.

It would also cut down on the selfie culture you’ve seen the last few years in scare zones..
The purpose of the change would be to keep performers and guests from getting too close so neither gets infected by a deadly virus, but sure, the “selfie culture” that Universal has been actively promoting as a source of free advertising will get dinged too.

The purpose of the change would be to keep performers and guests from getting too close so neither gets infected by a deadly virus, but sure, the “selfie culture” that Universal has been actively promoting as a source of free advertising will get dinged too.
I’m aware of the purpose. Believe me, i want everyone to be safe. I was just stating an observation. I know they’ve put out photo ops in the last years but have they really promoted stopping roaming scare actors in the zones to take pictures? It doesn’t bother me one way or another, i just know it’s been a topic that people are divided on in the Universal/HHN Facebook groups.

I’m aware of the purpose. Believe me, i want everyone to be safe. I was just stating an observation. I know they’ve put out photo ops in the last years but have they really promoted stopping roaming scare actors in the zones to take pictures? It doesn’t bother me one way or another, i just know it’s been a topic that people are divided on in the Universal/HHN Facebook groups.
Performers are told, if they’re personally comfortable with doing so, they can take photos with guests. When possible, they’re advised to incorporate a scare into the photo as well. Performers aren’t suppose to linger for a photograph, though. It’s agree, take a shot or two, move on.

The challenge is that most scareactors, as performers, can be pretty vain. You ask one if they want to take one, more often than not, they’ll agree. Because they want the picture themselves. The only time you’ll see a mass amount of performers in a zone avoid photos is if it‘s uniquely dark and flashes can blind them. Grown Evil in 2011 was one of the very few where that occurred, and was better enabled because the wings on the costumes allowed them to cover their faces while remaining in character.

But considering the social media account will like and retweet guest photos from the event, the practice is tacitly endorsed.

The practice isn’t new. It’s more common. HHN purists just don’t like changes to “their” event.

I have no problem with the selfies. The first iPhone with a front-facing camera was iPhone 4 released in 2010. It’s easy to forget that relative to the age of the event, that’s a pretty new phenomenon. People have paid good money to attend the event - if a scareactor is comfortable with it in a zone I have no problem.

What does bother me is when the selfies bleed into “let me just stand here and talk to my friends for 2-3 minutes.” That seems to be zone specific and I’ve only noticed it in the last year or two.

I have no problem with the selfies. The first iPhone with a front-facing camera was iPhone 4 released in 2010. It’s easy to forget that relative to the age of the event, that’s a pretty new phenomenon. People have paid good money to attend the event - if a scareactor is comfortable with it in a zone I have no problem.

What does bother me is when the selfies bleed into “let me just stand here and talk to my friends for 2-3 minutes.” That seems to be zone specific and I’ve only noticed it in the last year or two.
Except, that’s not a bleed over. It’s a completely separate issue. Klowns was extremely selfie heavy, but didn’t have issues with performers chatting because of the costumes. Vamp ’85 didn’t have anywhere near the self attraction, but had a much bigger chatter issue because it’s easy to talk when you don’t have a mask.

Meanwhile, in Hollywood, performers are not only not supposed to stop for pictures (though it does happen), they are expressly not permitted to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.