Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is a risk including flying to Orlando then driving to the parks. Yes, COVID is a much higher risk than many of us are used to taking or willing to take. Universal doesn't have much of a choice if they close huge swaths of the park's employees will be laid off with no assistance from the state or federal government. They don't have an option.

Also show director, singular.

I think there's a lot of reason why people should be worried about exposure at the parks especially indoors while dining. At this point without contact tracing it's hard to tell where the cases are coming from but my gut tells me there's likely few cases from the parks while A LOT from bars, restaurants, and other establishments that were given free reign to open.
Yeah man I totally agree. I'm literally packing bag dinners this year for me and my group. We'll grab sandwiches from Subway around the corner from Uni before we park a little before 5. Then at peak hour - like between 9 and 10, we'll probably just walk back to the car for a picnic, away from everybody. I totally agree that indoor dining is a place to avoid if possible and, while I love stopping in at Louie's for some pizza after walking for hours, I'm making other/safer plans this year for my/our dining experience.

If no zones and no alcohol and no shows, you could possibly open the houses earlier (there's no outdoor bars to set up; there's no SZ props to move into place). Hand out wristbands for verified HHN ticket holders (like they did for alcohol age checks). They would need to have a TM anyway at the house entrance to scan for a valid house time reservation, so they can verify wristband or re-check HHN tickets/ etc.
That just adds more TM interaction, which we want to avoid. No scarezones doesn’t mean no street props, just no actors on the street. There would also be normal day guests trying to get into the houses, which would then lead to another avoidable interaction trying to explain to often unruly Orlando travelers that this isn’t for them. An app scan is simply showing them your phone and letting a barcode scan. With wristbands, they need to do much more on your phone, the app can often be confusing

I mean everyone has to make their own path and decide what's most important for them of course. For me, I want to get through all the houses with multiple repeats without Express and without waiting hours for any one house. This is one of the parts of the way for me to do that (along with getting there an hour early and following a designated path the first 2 hours), and it's never failed me yet after all these years. I've never felt cheated going through that last house, so maybe I've just been really lucky.
From my experiences, you may truly have better luck than most. Actors get tired. Actors get hurt. Actors get sick. Actors (sometimes) need to leave at their scheduled time. Props and effects break... etc. Basically, crap happens - and the later into the night it gets, the higher your chance of not getting the "full show" becomes. I'm not saying you cannot have great experiences past 2am (you are proof,) but I do think your chances are reduced. I think similar can also be said, to a lesser degree, regarding the event's opening hour(s).

This is bizarre to me, because Hollywood requires its actors to stay put (with "overtime" schedules already blocked out) until the final guest goes through.
Ugh that was awful. "Hey guys they extended hours...."

If no zones and no alcohol and no shows, you could possibly open the houses earlier (there's no outdoor bars to set up; there's no SZ props to move into place). Hand out wristbands for verified HHN ticket holders (like they did for alcohol age checks). They would need to have a TM anyway at the house entrance to scan for a valid house time reservation, so they can verify wristband or re-check HHN tickets/ etc.
:agree:

From my experiences, you may truly have better luck than most. Actors get tired. Actors get hurt. Actors get sick. Actors (sometimes) need to leave at their scheduled time. Props and effects break... etc. Basically, crap happens - and the later into the night it gets, the higher your chance of not getting the "full show" becomes. I'm not saying you cannot have great experiences past 2am (you are proof,) but I do think your chances are reduced. I think similar can also be said, to a lesser degree, regarding the event's opening hour(s).
Well 7 of the houses I do are in the first 2 hours or the "extra" hour - so it's possible I've been getting watered down experiences across the board and just don't see the difference lol.

Everything is a risk including flying to Orlando then driving to the parks. Yes, COVID is a much higher risk than many of us are used to taking or willing to take. Universal doesn't have much of a choice, if they close, huge swaths of the park's employees will be laid off. With no assistance from the state or federal government they don't have an option.

Also show director, singular.

30% capacity won’t bring all those jobs back and it’s been speculated Universal‘s currently operating at a loss.

Patrick’s the only show director, but there are “show directors” within entertainment that oversee the performances, including houses and zones. Those positions have been reduced.

30% capacity won’t bring all those jobs back and it’s been speculated Universal‘s currently operating at a loss.

Patrick’s the only show director, but there are “show directors” within entertainment that oversee the performances, including houses and zones. Those positions have been reduced.

The mighty Charles Gray, I LOVE his houses.

Touching on actors extending: in recent years extension time has been built into their schedules. So say cast A goes in 12:45-1:30am, Cast B would be 1:30-2:15. Now this isn’t true for every house it depends on when that house opens as well as how popular they expect the house to be. As recently as last year and the year before I had a roommate who’s hard scheduled out time was 2:30am. Now sometimes that extra time isn’t needed, but sometimes even more time needs to be added on and that’s where people can start saying no. Just thought that might be a little interesting tidbit when thinking about going through houses at close.

(Also a lot of other things can go wrong still to not have a full cast at the end of the night don’t get me wrong lol.)

basically what I’m trying to say about this is if you’re looking to try and catch a “fuller” cast at closing time, aim for a popular IP lol.

Last edited:
It's a guess I have no inside info on fog vs no fog.

COVID-19 is a virus spread using respiratory droplets. While not studied it's possible that fog could help carry it, that's a prevailing theory.

And also, fog is synthetic darkness, and obscures things on purpose

Therefore, it may be eliminated to ensure people can see what's in front of the at all times

Touching on actors extending: in recent years extension time has been built into their schedules. So say cast A goes in 12:45-1:30am, Cast B would be 1:30-2:15. Now this isn’t true for every house it depends on when that house opens as well as how popular they expect the house to be. As recently as last year and the year before I had a roommate who’s hard scheduled out time was 2:30am. Now sometimes that extra time isn’t needed, but sometimes even more time needs to be added on and that’s where people can start saying no. Just thought that might be a little interesting tidbit when thinking about going through houses at close.

(Also a lot of other things can go wrong still to not have a full cast at the end of the night don’t get me wrong lol.)

basically what I’m trying to say about this is if you’re looking to try and catch a “fuller” cast at closing time, aim for a popular IP lol.
Yeah that makes sense - I only use this for the most popular house so as to avoid 2-3 hour lines. Like Stranger Things 2/3 last year, Stranger Things the year before, Horrors of Blumhouse the year before that, etc. So perhaps that's why I've had good experiences hitting those right before close? Not sure which will be "that house" this year - I'd speculate Hill House, Beetlejuice, or Eilish will be that house (although with the new protocols in place this year who knows. I watch and chart the opening times and wait times through the app the first couple of weeks to get a good idea of what to expect and how to plan the nights I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.