The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 62 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I speculate that Jack will be considered. I would LIKE if the icons didn't return at all and we got something new. I will say I'm tired of the icons being vignette photo ops.

Why do so many people pine for the icons?

It sounds like they only had very, very loose ties to any houses when they were there.

I’m not sure that we lose anything by not having them and was wondering if someone can explain the appeal. It seems unless an icon has a little street show it’s just a “theme” with a made up cartoon character for shirts and such.

Anyone?

Why do so many people pine for the icons?

It sounds like they only had very, very loose ties to any houses when they were there.

I’m not sure that we lose anything by not having them and was wondering if someone can explain the appeal. It seems unless an icon has a little street show it’s just a “theme” with a made up cartoon character for shirts and such.

Anyone?
The icon houses were actually developed around the characters, so those were integrated pretty well. It also created a “drive” to an otherwise “unmarketable” house.

But even with a street show (which only three icons had), all they ever were were fancier themes and not really necessary.

I think the current clamor comes from nostalgia for something most of the people who want it never experienced.

The icon houses were actually developed around the characters, so those were integrated pretty well. It also created a “drive” to an otherwise “unmarketable” house.

But even with a street show (which only three icons had), all they ever were were fancier themes and not really necessary.

I think the current clamor comes from nostalgia for something most of the people who want it never experienced.

Thanks!

Exactly. But a Jack the Clown overlay of The Simpsons Ride would be awesome! :D
And, it’s unfair that Icons aren’t used as much. When I was younger I was like, “This looks so cool, I’ll get to experience this when I’m an adult”. Of course, that didn’t really happen. I’m sorry, but KKfoS was the worst aspect of an event that wasn’t scary enough (talking about HHN 29). I would like to see PROGRESS, adding in new content while respecting the past to make scares timeless, like Jack the Clown, Chance, The Caretaker, The Storyteller, etc. Without new icons and original content it feels like a lack of imagination. And Brainpower never runs out, so there’s no such thing or excuse as “ran out of ideas”.
I would to see an icon called “The Programmer”, who creates a simulation of hell that transcends to the real world :) Perhaps that could go well with a video game themed park/Nintendo :)

Would anyone like a Jack the Clown movie?

Last edited:
And, it’s unfair that Icons aren’t used as much. When I was younger I was like, “This looks so cool, I’ll get to experience this when I’m an adult”. Of course, that didn’t really happen. I’m sorry, but KKfoS was the worst aspect of an event that wasn’t scary enough (talking about HHN 29). I would like to see PROGRESS, adding in new content while respecting the past to make scares timeless, like Jack the Clown, Chance, The Caretaker, The Storyteller, etc. Without new icons and original content it feels like a lack of imagination. And Brainpower never runs out, so there’s no such thing or excuse as “ran out of ideas”.
I would to see an icon called “The Programmer”, who creates a simulation of hell that transcends to the real world :) Perhaps that could go well with a video game themed park/Nintendo :)

An icon mashup house in the style of UM would be soooooo much fun, but we also need a couple of originals that do something completely brand-new. See my wishlist on...well, the wishlist thread.

Reactions: tankart150

Progress isn’t asking for a return to the structure and style of the aughts.

And while there are unlimited ideas, there’s still finite resources for Universal to use. There are a ton of great ideas that simply won’t work because of the logistics of doing them “correctly” isn’t feasible.

Hell, even a couple of my haunt ideas, specifically “Terminal 13” and “Ink & Paint” have obstacles that make them unrealistic.

Most importantly, Universal has never been an innovator when it comes to haunts. That’s not their role. They design stuff that’s immediately recognizable and accessible to casual guests, and that applies to their originals as well. It’s not uncommon for Universal to do an “original” that’s heavily inspired from what a regional or local haunt has done a year or two prior, or a slight variation on something they’ve done in the past. That’s because they’re proven concepts. And HHN is too “big” now to risk a marketing campaign that will flop.

An icon mashup house in the style of UM would be soooooo much fun, but we also need a couple of originals that do something completely brand-new. See my wishlist on...well, the wishlist thread.
We had that house in 2004.

It was terrible.

Progress isn’t asking for a return to the structure and style of the aughts.

And while there are unlimited ideas, there’s still finite resources for Universal to use. There are a ton of great ideas that simply won’t work because of the logistics of doing them “correctly” isn’t feasible.

Hell, even a couple of my haunt ideas, specifically “Terminal 13” and “Ink & Paint” have obstacles that make them unrealistic.

Most importantly, Universal has never been an innovator when it comes to haunts. That’s not their role. They design stuff that’s immediately recognizable and accessible to casual guests, and that applies to their originals as well. It’s not uncommon for Universal to do an “original” that’s heavily inspired from what a regional or local haunt has done a year or two prior, or a slight variation on something they’ve done in the past. That’s because they’re proven concepts. And HHN is too “big” now to risk a marketing campaign that will flop.

We had that house in 2004.

It was terrible.
But Jack the Clown doesn’t flop :)

[
But Jack the Clown doesn’t flop :)
His first house wasn’t anything special, as it was really just a generic “evil clown” funhouse. Maximum Madness, and treating Jack as someone more akin to the Joker rather than Pennywise, was really when they figured out the best way to do Jack houses.

Frankly, apart from Screamhouse, most of the “original icon houses” were nothing special. DIE-In and Silver Screams were generic movie houses that didn’t really do anything with their icons; Elsa’s house was so forgettable I can’t think of its name; and Reflections of Fear is a well-known flop.

But sure, let’s do more icon houses.

[

His first house wasn’t anything special, as it was really just a generic “evil clown” funhouse. Maximum Madness, and treating Jack as someone more akin to the Joker rather than Pennywise, was really when they figured out the best way to do Jack houses.

Frankly, apart from Screamhouse, most of the “original icon houses” were nothing special. DIE-In and Silver Screams were generic movie houses that didn’t really do anything with their icons; Elsa’s house was so forgettable I can’t think of its name; and Reflections of Fear is a well-known flop.

I'm not pining for any random icons this year...BUT, I would be pretty happy if they specifically brought back Terra Queen to tie up the loose ends - I think setting Terra Cruentus in San Francisco makes sense because of the space for a stage and performances. Outside of Terra Queen specifically for HHN30, I could go either way on the icons. If they come, great. If they don't, great.

The MAIN thing is that it's a new year - so HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone here. In the spirit of the new year and new adventures, I feel like it might be time for a clue? (whaddaya think Legacy?).

[

Don't forget about the awful Chance house as well.

[

Then maybe this year they can redeem themselves.

Hi Everyone. Happy New Year!

Used to post a few years back, around HHN25, but I can’t remember my log in so I’m a newbie again.

Heading back for HHN30 after having not been to Orlando in Sept/Oct since HHN27 so I’m excited to get back for this year’s event. My first year was HHN8 when I was probably far too young to go but I’ve been hooked since.

Personally I would like to see an icon or a theme this year. I just think it offers cohesiveness when it’s done well. Especially when it comes to marketing and building hype.

I know they are not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m a fan of the previous icons. Again, when they are done well (Lady Luck, I’m side-eyeing you). I enjoy their backstory and just think it adds depth to the event.

Do I think they will come back though? I’m not sure. I feel like the event is moving away from this as it tries to appeal to a broader audience.

I’m interested to see what they could do with an icons mash up house with the budget and design prospective they have now. A lot of the aughts houses were designed at a time when the parks were struggling financially.

Also, icons, especially new ones, could be utilized in a way that ties the entire event into a theme. It’s unnecessary, so they won’t do it. But hey, call me crazy wanting to see a theme at a theme park.

[

Where Evil Hides

I have so much nostalgia from that website, in part because that was my first exposure to HHN. But again, most of that year sans BC was so poorly received at the time.

Where Evil Hides

I have so much nostalgia from that website, in part because that was my first exposure to HHN. But again, most of that year sans BC was so poorly received at the time.
15 had some really cool ideas and some of the best story and design elements but the houses were lacking, some of the scarezones were cheesy....

but it had the best overall aesthetic / theme and it had it down pat - except for Where Evil Hides which was out of left field and a weird unnecessary element.

Then maybe this year they can redeem themselves.
You know how they could totally redeem themselves? Trade their Sheep Dog van (older Icon houses) for a 70mpg hog (new Icon house) ! What could go wrong?

giphy.gif

Sorry, I can't ever resist making a Dumb & Dumber reference.

I'd rather they use the Universal Monsters as a theme than rely on the past icons.

Or maybe I just miss the monsters house

Status
Not open for further replies.