Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw it.

Hollywood is rumored to get a Billie Eilish house. Rumor is Marketing told Orlando to do a house, but A&D refused on the house and conceded the lagoon to her.

Geesh... there’s more to HHN than houses and zones.
Ah feeling much better about it now

I'm honestly pumped for this. Billie Eilish is one of my favorite artists in the new guard of pop music that's been introduced throughout 2019. I absolutely think her look, vibe, and sound can fit HHN quite a bit. Literally look at the music video for Bury a Friend, that should be enough to tell you this is horror enough for the event. Even if her catalog isn't punk rock or grunge, and some don't really sound traditionally horror at all, most of her songs are decently dark. Bellyache is about a serial killer, all the good girls go to hell has lyrics relating to Satan and that super weird video with the Fallen Angel, etc, etc. There's enough there for a show at least.

There's also something to be said that, at some point, Universal isn't gonna be exclusively marketing to you forever. This is heavily aimed towards the younger crowds, a lot of which were too late to catch Slipknot, or Rob Zombie, or any number of rock bands HHN fans love to rave about at their heights. If anything, this is that for them. This is one of the biggest pop acts in a while, is related to Universal through UMG, and has a horror-adjacent image. It works pretty frikkin well imo.

And hell, if you don't like Billie Eilish, I get it. It's not for everyone. But I'm not a Rob Zombie fan at all, couldn't care less about his music or videos. You didn't catch me complaining that he was there or that I didn't get any of the aesthetics from the zone. I even liked it a decent bit. HHN is a big enough event that it can be acceptable that some things just won't fully appeal to me and that's okay, because if it does it's job it will appeal to a whole bunch of other people. There's gonna be 10 houses, at least 1 big stage show, and numerous scare zones + rides. Is it really worth complaining that the lagoon show of all things isn't tailored for you?

Hopefully the fact that we’ve all already accepted Eilish coming and are talking about it so openly won’t cause any issues. :ack:

EDIT: In terms of it getting pulled somehow, which I doubt but still.

I don't understand people sometimes. Rob Zombie is more horror than Billie Eilish? Really? Zombie is straight up B-Movie silliness. I enjoy that of course, but in comparison, Eilish is psychological horror.

source.gif

I've gone from groaning to biting my tongue and then back to groaning. I'm ready for the next "rumor" to spark some new discussion.

Is it possible to lock a thread so that everyone can view, but only one (or a select few) can post?

That way the "clue" thread would be clean enough that anyone could view and easily find what everyone is referencing, and the actual discussion could all be handled in the usual thread.

Just a suggestion.

So, with regards to a “Legacy’s Clues” thread:

While I am willing to manage a thread that only I could post in (strictly for the clues and answers, nothing else), I am not a moderator or formally associated with Inside Universal, or any other board. Separating my clues from general spec, intentionally or not, sets a precedent for both myself and IU as some sort of official partnership. That’s not really something that’s ever really interested me (at least, not since 2004). It also alters IU a bit, in establishing a stance on the trafficking of rumors. If they want to do that, cool. If they want ME to serve as a “Jim Hill” of sorts, I would try to make it work (no promises though, I’m busy).

Most importantly, though, it changes how Universal views IU (and me). Universal, as I understand it, view me with a bit of side eye. I get enough right to be a nuisance, but don’t share enough to be a problem. Most importantly, I’m just a fan with no official platform. A thread is a platform, and IU would become its host. That’s not something I will ask IU to do.

I have a bit of time on my hands tonight and tomorrow. If nobody objects, and it's not overstepping my bounds, I'd be glad to make a spreadsheet with all the clues, pages they are posted, guesses by each member, and answers (if we have them). If anyone has an issue with this (especially @Legacy or any of the mods), please let me know and I won't do it.

I've only heard a couple of her tracks, but I enjoyed them well enough. I didn't actively dislike them, at the very least.

I'm very interested to see what they come up with. Maybe it will be terrible, maybe it will be surprisingly good. I understand why they're including her, regardless.

First post on here in a little while! Just thought I’d throw my two cents in on the Eilish debate...

A common thing people yearn for from HHN is creativity and something unique. I don’t know if I’m just being a bit short sighted or not, but surely Eilish fits this near on perfectly?

Not only do a fair few of her lyrics reference typical ‘cliche’ horror/religious elements, but her videography is quite frankly some of the most intriguing and horror focused in ‘popular’ music. To me this fits almost perfectly into the idea of the event being creative and unique, and so I don’t really see an issue with her being involved. If you’re able to simply look past the pre-conceptions that one may have based off of one or two songs, then the idea of her involvement as a brand is actually a very exciting prospect. Bad Guy aside, she has an array of interesting lyricism and visual content that’d be perfect for a scarezone, house or show in my opinion. Heck, why does the lyrical content even necessarily need to be a major factor within the attraction? If we are looking at Eilish as a brand in this instance, you could even put together a more original experience using the imagery from her various videos with some of the more interesting and note worthy instrumental tracks she has in her catalogue as a backing track for the whole thing.

I think with a more creative approach, and an open mind, this could actually turn out to be a far more interesting and exciting ‘IP’ than some may initially expect...

That being said, why waste the fountain show on that kind of IP? I’d have thought a scarezone would be a far superior way of showcasing it effectively, seeing as there is ample opportunity for some twisted characters and effective scares when taking the kind of imagery she uses into account. Especially if done, as I say, creatively and with a little more of an original approach with the fountain show having a more ‘throwback-esk’ theme.

EDIT: Just to add on here, the main issue I can see here is the demographic it may attract, however, as mentioned previously you have to consider the business behind it all too. If Universal feel they are in need of boosting that demographic at HHN, then this seems like a strong bet to do so without spending major $$$ on a third party IP. Let’s just hope that crowds are managed effectively minimising any issues, if any.

Last edited:
Ka is a wheel?
If you remember the face of your father, yes.
I think you’re overestimating the market if your asking about the lyrical versus visual appropriateness of any IP. We have the conversation every year about some idea that “doesn’t fit” because people get wrapped around the axel of an idea they can’t expand their mind beyond. Last year, it was Vikings. People doubted Scarecrows, and Dolls, and Gargoyles. People doubting if a “horror-adjacent” pop artist is appropriate for a music-centric show at a horror event are ignoring the forest for the trees.
Unless you’re one of the trees. Music has always been a pivotal part of my life. From performing to assisting in the creation of performances, and growing up with family who sang professionally. I’m one of the trees in the forest and know how vital it is for the pieces to meld together for something to be received well.

I’m a minority, but to answer honestly if music fits a theme for me, all the trees matter. For the masses, it won’t, but for me it does. There will be others like me.

It’s funny. I say I found my most recent clue from the “first article that came up.” Someone mentions an article that has my clue and everyone ignores it...

I then make a post that is the crux of the article, and IS the IP everyone is in a commotion over.

This one is right in front of you. It’s just so unexpected you refuse to see it...

It really will be a “Duh” moment...

Actually Legacy, looking though everyone's guesses at this clue while doing this spreadsheet, 2 users basically had it: @PenguinCowboy on page 75 and @Oakley on page 78. Didn't realize it until undertaking this project.

Clue #2 - Look beyond the immediate. This actually has fewer steps to a solution than the other ones.

I feel good about this one!!!!!!!!!

This is for the Dinah Hayley (Lady Dinah) clue. I am going to take your response as a clue in itself.

"Fewer steps" is obvious - I don't have to go so far down the rabbit hole.
"Look beyond the immediate" is kind of an eloquent way of saying "don't look in the present", which could mean "look to the past" OR "look to the future".

So with that being "assumed", here we go:

* Dinah Hayley (daughter of Mary Hayley) was born in 1759 and died in 1805. So obviously I will check both dates
* Nothing for 1759 that seemed relevent
* HOWEVER, looking at movies set in 1805, a very curious one sticks out - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. The portion that was set in 1805 was when they travelled TO THE PAST (using my assumption that you were cluing me this direction) in Austria to grab Napoleon. AND, they also travelled TO THE FUTURE in that movie - so that would satisfy BOTH of those assumptions from your clue.

* So, using your hints of "fewer steps" and "look beyond the immediate" coupled with how you've explained your usage of clues, I am going to make a final guess that this clue refers to the RUMOR of the Bill & Ted show returning (not that it will actually return, but that there's a RUMOR it will return). And, if not the "show", it refers to "something" Bill & Ted coming this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.