Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer long drawn out brain teases than demands of direct spoilers. HHN Spec season is a 9 month marathon, not a sprint to spoilers.

Now, the fact that The Nun is a Warner Brothers film is an issue that I cannot explain away and makes me think this is off base. However, MAYBE the fact that the sequel is releasing at the end of October, Warner Brothers makes a deal with Universal to allow the property at HHN 30 which, in turn, will RAISE the profile of the release and Warner Brothers pulls in more money from the movie BECAUSE of HHN. That might be more off track, but there are enough connecting factors here for me to take the swing and guess The Nun as the final answer to this clue.

I don't have insider knowledge, but I do know that AT&T, WB's new corporate overlord, is hurting for cash and trying to trim back expenses. Licencing out its popular horror IP is free advertising they make money on. That, as well as the silence on their West Coast haunt, leads me to believe that they could take the money and be open to sharing with Universal.

One caveat is Stephen King. I don't think they'd want to upset that cash cow and do something he doesn't want.

The Conjuring finally coming to HHN? I mean what you said really seems to stick, a good amount of time has passed that house could come to the event and with the new movie coming out, it definitely would give a lot of good PR for WB I'm sure they are probably not going to do another Horror Made Here event because I think they've come to their senses that they cannot reach the level that HHN has worked so hard to get to. I sorta did like the Conjuring series better than the Insidious franchise because the films take on the 70s and so forth, I've always loved films with 70s or 60s even further back and involving horror in the mix, those types of aesthetics and stuff, The Nun was up there as being one of those films I'd sit back and watch and take in the scenery, the films very eerie at times and the Nuns look very demonic, I hope Conjuring comes, would love to see the entire Conjuring Universe be given it's due.

Well, I'm guessing more The Nun. For me, The Conjuring was the clue to the clue. The Conjuring is probably too much of a big ticket IP for WB to hand over. The Nun, on the other hand, is a much smaller offshoot IP that has a sequel coming out right at the end of HHN 30. So that played into my theory of The Nun instead of The Conjuring. Another Conjuring movie will make gobs of money, so WB might not need the help with that one. But a Nun sequel could use a boost, and WB doesn't lose too much by leasing it out to Universal for a year of HHN.

I mean, I'm probably way off base anyway. These clues are so open-ended that they can be taken in a ton of different directions (which, of course, is the intention). But my mind followed the clues in this particular order to fit the puzzle in this particular way.

I really didn't enjoy The Nun much as a movie. I really like the Conjuring movies, but The Nun fell flat imo - it was mostly boring and wholly predictable. However, the character of the Nun herself is a gorgeously frighteningly created entity; so while I found the movie to be pretty blah, I think it could make an amazing gothic style house that is very dark only lit by a few candles with the Nun hiding in the shadows waiting to pounce.

Have lurked for a while. This is my first post. Hi everyone. I have a good theory on this I think, but there's one thing holding me up.
* This picture is called The Fairy Fountain
* The Fairy Fountain is also the name of a side quest in The Legend of Zelda
* Zelda happens to be the name of a freaky side character in Pet Semetary (both original and remake this year)
* Pet Semetary did relatively well at the box office AND it's so recent that it won't be out of mind
* Paramount owns Pet Semetary. Not sure if that's good or bad, but at least it's not Disney.

Amazing first post! I can't lie, I went the same route, except we diverged at Zelda!

My mind personally went right to Zelda Rubinstein! Not saying the past is an indication of a wholesale redo, but Poltergeist was incredibly well received, and they did it before with AWiL (two years before a remounting during HHN25)

One thought about a potential Conjuring maze: Is it based on just The Conjuring, as in the first Conjuring film, or is it a Conjuring universe thing, so it would be those films, plus Annabelle, the Nun, etc.

I would definitely prefer they go the individual route, if it does end up happening. There’s so much great content, I don’t want to see it all jammed into a single maze. Like, I thought the last Annabelle movie in and of itself would make a fantastic HHN maze. It’s a total throwback haunted house movie and the way the scenes are laid out, it almost provides a map for how people would move through a maze.

So I realize this would never happen but what if the theme of the event was the conjuring and both conjuring movies got a house, anabelle got a house and the nun gets a house. There would be 2-3 IPs and I feel like having a complete conjuring universe would certainly draw some crowds in!

My first thought hearing Zelda was also Poltergeist. Glad to see I am not alone on that.

Could be an option for a repeat house--but I've heard from somewhere that Poltergeist is owned by Fox? Also AWiL was a Universal property, so repeating it clearly posed no risk with rights owners. Repeating Poltergeist might.

Also I'd love to see a Terra Cruentes house get the SS25 spot.

But I highly doubt that's the clue anyway.

If we need a repeat, I'd enjoy seeing Thing: Assimilation (honestly moreso than a Thing book report house), but probably happened too long ago to financially justify a repeat.

View attachment 11276 @JJ591 welcome, definitely been enjoying your theories! I don't post a ton here, bit lurk daily. Side note, met Bonnie Aarons (the Nun) last October and she was awesome!

That's really cool. Did you meet her at HHN? Honestly, if they were looking for a strong female icon for this year that they haven't used before, Valak would certainly fit the bill. I think, after 2 straight years of '80s theme, it would be pretty cool to have a gothic, religious/demonic/anti-Christ type theme or undertones. I know they have done some of these recently & couldn't get the rights to others, but imagine having Valak be the icon and the houses be picked from a pool like The Exorcist (just did it), La Llorana, The Conjuring/Annabelle films, Carrie, Amityville Horror, Prince of Darkness, Hellraiser, Children of the Corn, Evil Dead, Drag Me To Hell, The Omen films, Hereditary, etc.

I know this will never happen. But kind of a cool thematic idea I think.

One thought about a potential Conjuring maze: Is it based on just The Conjuring, as in the first Conjuring film, or is it a Conjuring universe thing, so it would be those films, plus Annabelle, the Nun, etc.

I would definitely prefer they go the individual route, if it does end up happening. There’s so much great content, I don’t want to see it all jammed into a single maze. Like, I thought the last Annabelle movie in and of itself would make a fantastic HHN maze. It’s a total throwback haunted house movie and the way the scenes are laid out, it almost provides a map for how people would move through a maze.
My assumption is it would be based on The Conjuring 1 and 2, with appearances from Annabelle and The Nun somewhere within it. Could leave them some room to really get into the spinoffs and the third movie if they wanted to do a sequel maze.

Could be an option for a repeat house--but I've heard from somewhere that Poltergeist is owned by Fox? Also AWiL was a Universal property, so repeating it clearly posed no risk with rights owners. Repeating Poltergeist might.

Also I'd love to see a Terra Cruentes house get the SS25 spot.

But I highly doubt that's the clue anyway.

If we need a repeat, I'd enjoy seeing Thing: Assimilation (honestly moreso than a Thing book report house), but probably happened too long ago to financially justify a repeat.

I believe MGM owns Poltergeist, Fox released the old 2015 one. I think MGM plans for a new one produced by the Russos.

My assumption is it would be based on The Conjuring 1 and 2, with appearances from Annabelle and The Nun somewhere within it. Could leave them some room to really get into the spinoffs and the third movie if they wanted to do a sequel maze.

If The Conjuring is coming this year, it makes sense to give a brief preview of the 3rd one, since it's coming out at pretty much the same time as HHN (sept. 11, same as Hollywood's start date)

That's really cool. Did you meet her at HHN? Honestly, if they were looking for a strong female icon for this year that they haven't used before, Valak would certainly fit the bill. I think, after 2 straight years of '80s theme, it would be pretty cool to have a gothic, religious/demonic/anti-Christ type theme or undertones. I know they have done some of these recently & couldn't get the rights to others, but imagine having Valak be the icon and the houses be picked from a pool like The Exorcist (just did it), La Llorana, The Conjuring/Annabelle films, Carrie, Amityville Horror, Prince of Darkness, Hellraiser, Children of the Corn, Evil Dead, Drag Me To Hell, The Omen films, Hereditary, etc.

I know this will never happen. But kind of a cool thematic idea I think.
It was actually at a local haunt in Omaha, NE.

So I have always been curious about something. Probably a really stupid question. But what are those zones and houses based on music and such considered? Originals or IPs? Like Hellbilly Deluxe, Alice Cooper, even Penn & Teller's (no music obviously, but point stands).

So I have always been curious about something. Probably a really stupid question. But what are those zones and houses based on music and such considered? Originals or IPs? Like Hellbilly Deluxe, Alice Cooper, even Penn & Teller's (no music obviously, but point stands).

IP.

Maybe Hellbilly Deluxe is next in line for the Trick R Treatment? IDK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.