The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 57 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe me, Doctor Who has an absolutely amazing rogues gallery for a haunt. There is a ton of potentially great scares and scene moments that could come from a house like this. But there is a big difference in including Game of Thrones/Walking Dead at their peaks and Doctor Who in 2020. Save this IP for an off year.
Leaving out the bona fides that the IP might have for being turned into a house and it's probability of being leak bait fora moment, I just wanna expand on the the lack of a GP draw this would be as a concept in general that a couple others have touched on.

As someone who runs fan/pop culture conventions, I get a pretty good gauge for this kind of property and it's fanbase. The popularity of Doctor Who has drastically died off since the departure of Matt Smith (and especially David Tennant). Capaldi maintained some hold on the audience and it remained an arguably great series, but as Moffat's storytelling got more and more serialized and complex, the lack of a companion that was romance-bait, and an older gruffer Doctor, the younger/casual audience dropped away. All the people watching because it was an attractive young hero and his girl companion off on adventures in quirky UK-land are largely gone. The huge gap between seasons (alien concept for American audiences) complete format change with Season 11 and much less fanfare due to not being the fad in the public consciousness anymore added to people forgetting it was even a thing. You used to see *swarms* of "Doctors" at cons, now it's just a smattering. Demand for the actors as guests has fizzled severely.

The demo just isn't there to support the trouble universal would have to go through dealing with the notoriously difficult BBC to license it. If they struck while the iron was really hot back in 2010, maybe. Now... Not so much. The target has moved and DW's general demo is no longer HHN's general demo.

Just wanted to add another factor.

I saw the Black Christmas remake last night. I'm a big fan of the original. Let's just say the new movie fell way short. I know it's been rumored in some circles to be a house this year, but I just don't see it. The set designs, "bad guys", horror scenes, costumes, lighting, etc don't really lend itself to a good house imo. Of all the different rumors I've seen flung around for HHN30, this would be the one I'd be least excited about.

Concerning the Doctor Who rumors. I agree it smells like a trap. After the disappointment of Ghostbusters and the overall vibe of HHN29 (there were some GREAT houses, but it wasn't exactly a scarefest by any means), I would be pretty surprised to see it make an appearance, especially in an anniversary year.

Heard a Halloween 5 rumor from a second-hand source of someone who knows someone that works at Uni. Very flimsy as far as reliability I know, but figured I'd pass it along since it's speculation. It's one of my least favorite Halloween movies (I like 4 quite a bit, but thought 5 was goofy), however there are some sets (cookie gas station, barn, attic) that could make for a really interesting and creepy house imo.

That's all for now. Wishing a wonderful weekend for each and every one of you!

I saw the Black Christmas remake last night. I'm a big fan of the original. Let's just say the new movie fell way short. I know it's been rumored in some circles to be a house this year, but I just don't see it. The set designs, "bad guys", horror scenes, costumes, lighting, etc don't really lend itself to a good house imo. Of all the different rumors I've seen flung around for HHN30, this would be the one I'd be least excited about.

Concerning the Doctor Who rumors. I agree it smells like a trap. After the disappointment of Ghostbusters and the overall vibe of HHN29 (there were some GREAT houses, but it wasn't exactly a scarefest by any means), I would be pretty surprised to see it make an appearance, especially in an anniversary year.

Heard a Halloween 5 rumor from a second-hand source of someone who knows someone that works at Uni. Very flimsy as far as reliability I know, but figured I'd pass it along since it's speculation. It's one of my least favorite Halloween movies (I like 4 quite a bit, but thought 5 was goofy), however there are some sets (cookie gas station, barn, attic) that could make for a really interesting and creepy house imo.

That's all for now. Wishing a wonderful weekend for each and every one of you!

Where have you heard Black Christmas rumored? Not surprisingly it's gotten a lot of hate.

Maybe they ship Holidayz over here?

Reactions: JJ591
Where have you heard Black Christmas rumored? Not surprisingly it's gotten a lot of hate.

Maybe they ship Holidayz over here?

On Reddit HHN towards the end of HHN29. And on this site while lurking back in July or August (I think it was on the General Discussion, not Speculation thread). There was nothing concrete, but it was still mentioned repeatedly. I had no issues with that idea until I saw the remake.

I watched Holidayz on YouTube and was pretty impressed. I'd have no issues whatsoever if that made it to Orlando.

On Reddit HHN towards the end of HHN29. And on this site while lurking back in July or August (I think it was on the General Discussion, not Speculation thread). There was nothing concrete, but it was still mentioned repeatedly. I had no issues with that idea until I saw the remake.

I watched Holidayz on YouTube and was pretty impressed. I'd have no issues whatsoever if that made it to Orlando.

I think if we're cribbing anything from Hollywood it's going to be another UCM house, just given on how well the one here was received.

I think if we're cribbing anything from Hollywood it's going to be another UCM house, just given on how well the one here was received.

I just threw it out because I guessed that people mentioning Black Christmas indicated there were rumors of a Christmas house.

Fallow mentioned in the Hollywood thread that FMWM had costuming issues. While it was well received it wasn't the knockout that UM was, since it landed 6th in GSATs--against likely stronger competition mind you.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Speculation =/= Rumor

Speculation =/= Rumor
Apologies. Sometimes I screw up the difference in semantics. So, then Candyman would also be considered speculation and not rumor, right? Even though I've read more about Candyman than other possibilities, it's all just been stuff I've read and not any inside info I've heard. At what point does speculation become a rumor? Thanks Legacy!

Apologies. Sometimes I screw up the difference in semantics. So, then Candyman would also be considered speculation and not rumor, right? Even though I've read more about Candyman than other possibilities, it's all just been stuff I've read and not any inside info I've heard. At what point does speculation become a rumor? Thanks Legacy!
Speculation is applying logic to what is known without really knowing (or needing to know) what Universal is doing. It’s an educated guess.

A rumor means someone has been told something IS occurring by a source that can be traced to those who know what IS happening. It’s a game of telephone.

Saying “Universal is doing Hereditary because it was a popular movie,” is speculation. Saying, “I’ve heard Universal is in negotiations for Game of Thrones,” is a rumor.

There’s a bit of a schedule to this, too. Between August and January, chatter is predominantly speculation. Rumors exists, but most rumor mongers are fairly tight-lipped about them because it’s really too early to validate anything. February-March is when rumors start locking in.

My clues are coming early this year because I’m not doing the work filter out bad info. I’m doing clues for rumors I can source. I’ve “heard” 6-7 rumored IPs (including Doctor Who), plus some other information, and I suspect maybe half are accurate.

Last edited:
Speculation is applying logic to what is known without really knowing (or needing to know) what Universal is doing. It’s an educated guess.

A rumor means someone has been told something IS occurring by a source that can be traced to those who know what IS happening. It’s a game of telephone.

Saying “Universal is doing Hereditary because it was a popular movie,” is speculation. Saying, “I’ve heard Universal is in negotiations for Game of Thrones,” is a rumor.

There’s a bit of a schedule to this, too. Between August and January, chatter is predominantly speculation. Rumors exists, but most rumor mongers are fairly tight-lipped about them because it’s really too early to validate anything. February-March is when rumors start locking in.

My clues are coming early this year because I’m not doing the work filter out bad info. I’m doing clues for rumors I can source. I’ve “heard” 6-7 rumored IPs (including Doctor Who), plus some other information, and I suspect maybe half are accurate.

Who knows what's accurate, but this stinks. :(

I hope the original reports you heard about just 3 IPs proves more accurate. With the IP well drying up so much I think they would be insane to use that many in one year.

Of course, god knows how many IPs were rumored two years ago that didn't come to pass, but those were extraordinary circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darko

I hope the original reports you heard about just 3 IPs proves more accurate. With the IP well drying up so much I think they would be insane to use that many in one year.

Of course, god knows how many IPs were rumored two years ago that didn't come to pass, but those were extraordinary circumstances.

He means there’s 6-7 rumored IPs not that there will be that many at the event.

I still have no reason to believe there will be more than four IP houses.

That can change, of course, but consider last year - it was only four IPs until Us got added late. And that was a soft four considering it includes Monsters.

I still have no reason to believe there will be more than four IP houses.

That can change, of course, but consider last year - it was only four IPs until Us got added late. And that was a soft four considering it includes Monsters.

It was five counting Monsters, but your point stands--Monsters could have technically been counted as an original.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Darko
Status
Not open for further replies.