Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a majority of the hype of CGY was people hearing the name and thinking there was gonna' be a bunch of actual carnival rides in the house. Personally I really enjoyed it for what it was as well as it's more open scenic concept. That said, I think there was more hype going into LT: TWE. People were freaking out when that house was revealed.

Now speaking of possible returning houses/concepts. I think it's safe to speculate Scarecrow is returning, especially when the PR had a picture of it. Now I'm noticing a good chunk of people hoping for a open concept a la' Carnival Graveyard for it. In ways I can understand, since it would be fitting for a cornfield. However, would that open concept take away a claustrophobic setting/feeling which the original had? That type of setting is perfect for scares, so losing it might be a lil step back in that regard.

HHN 28: Most Anticipated House | Inside Universal Forums

Granted I wasn't paying much attention back in 2010 since I wasn't going but CGY absolutely received massive levels of hype. But you're likely correct that people were expecting actual carnival rides.--I think if it had just been advertised as a junk yard (and just called "Rust in Pieces"), it might have been better received. Part of my problem, though, was that it didn't feel quite as open as I had envisioned. The garage front/pallet rack scene was basically what I expected the whole house to be like.

I guess the loss of the claustrophobic aspect could detract, but what new spin could they put on Scarecrow otherwise?

You probably know but might as well tell everyone: I've been told AoV was invited back next year.... as an in-park stage show. Not in FFL. Things can change but take that for what it's worth.
I’ve heard that they were invited back and it’s just too much of a perfect setup for B&T to not come back for this year too. So knowing that I wouldn’t be surprised if AoV went back to the temp stage by Mel’s and B&T got the FFL stage. I could see either some type of a take of the Monsters and Mayhem show this year featuring the best of from all thirty years or they could actually go all in with a Carnage Returns-esque type show continuing the storyline after the events of 26.
This could be news possibly? This year I took my first ever Unmasking the Horror Tour. We did Us, Yeti, and Ghostbusters and really enjoyed it. Near the end of the tour as we were leaving, I asked the guide how long it takes to plan a year and he said to quote “Some years are longer than others, for instance so far we’ve already designed 3 of the 11 houses for next year” He kept talking after that and others didn’t seem to notice, but I took a big mental note. So take that as you may

Yeah....heard something similar last year at HHN while I was there. The only spot I could think of to put another house, theoretically speaking, would be the Impact Zone. But what do I know, Uni creative produces miracles all the time!

As far as wishlists for things from years past, I could see the Shining getting the AWiL treatment and coming back for 30. Scarecrow is basically a given with that PR photo, but I honestly would love some good Fallen or Body Collectors. (Bring back the spine rip!)

Edit: I’m all for enforcing an age-limit on the event. The amount of unaccompanied minors creating problems was ridiculous this past year and quite frankly turned me off on some nights of the event. It literally felt like being at a mall (and not in a good way I might add). Also, please dear Lord, no more Stranger Things!

Last edited:
As far as wishlists for things from years past, I could see the Shining getting the AWiL treatment and coming back for 30.

The Shining’s not coming back. It was a disappointment amongst fans of the film and the event. Also, I believe it had low GSATs amongst attendees. AWiL was considered one of the best/most popular/highest GSAT rated houses they had ever created up to that point. That’s why they brought it back.

Considering the slight backlash they got in 25 for bringing AWiL back, I doubt we’ll see aN identical house return room for room.

The Shining’s not coming back. It was a disappointment amongst fans of the film and the event. Also, I believe it had low GSATs amongst attendees. AWiL was considered one of the best/most popular/highest GSAT rated houses they had ever created up to that point. That’s why they brought it back.

Considering the slight backlash they got in 25 for bringing AWiL back, I doubt we’ll see aN identical house return room for room.

As someone who couldn't care less about AHS, The Shining could've been so much better if it had gotten the big soundstage.

I read on the one of these forums once that properties by Orion were pain to get, why is that? Or were they wrong?
It didn't make much sense to me considering we just got Klowns.

Im only asking because Silence of the Lamb's seems like it would be a great fit for the category of houses that Poltergeist/The Shining is in.
I predicted this house last year but I ended getting shown up by Ghostbusters taking the PG-13 horror slot we have been getting recently for IP's.

I can also say that I can almost bet my life savings that Blood N Gutz will return in some way this year. I talked to a lot of fans and they seemed disappointed with the lack of a return or a sequel house for him.
Since it's a fan favourite I can see Uni bringing it back this year for the 30th.
I also speculated Nightingale's would return last year on my Spec lineup so I feel pretty confident about claiming this fan fav has a high chance of returning.
Im really digging the "H.R. BLOOD N GUTZ Presents Slaughter Sinema" concept I've heard people speculating about.

I read on the one of these forums once that properties by Orion were pain to get, why is that? Or were they wrong?
It didn't make much sense to me considering we just got Klowns.

Im only asking because Silence of the Lamb's seems like it would be a great fit for the category of houses that Poltergeist/The Shining is in.
I predicted this house last year but I ended getting shown up by Ghostbusters taking the PG-13 horror slot we have been getting recently for IP's.

I can also say that I can almost bet my life savings that Blood N Gutz will return in some way this year. I talked to a lot of fans and they seemed disappointed with the lack of a return or a sequel house for him.
Since it's a fan favourite I can see Uni bringing it back this year for the 30th.
I also speculated Nightingale's would return last year on my Spec lineup so I feel pretty confident about claiming this fan fav has a high chance of returning.
Im really digging the "H.R. BLOOD N GUTZ Presents Slaughter Sinema" concept I've heard people speculating about.

HR Bloodengutz Presents Slaughter Sinema IN SPACE! Credit to @AstroOwl52 for the idea. :)

Or how about, inspired by what Legacy suggested in the wishlist thread, HR Bloodengutz Presents Pop Torture? Basically a dark Pop Century. Not sure what the story would be of course...

Last edited:
You know, I’ll take this bet.

The guy who played Bloodengutz left Universal in, like, 2013.
Why does it have to be the same person? People play different character's/icons sometimes. Chance's original actress during 26 was no where to be seen. It was all look alikes.
It's not like Bloodengutz has been at the event a bunch and everyone knows what he should look like.

Why does it have to be the same person? People play different character's/icons sometimes. Chance's original actress during 26 was no where to be seen. It was all look alikes.
It's not like Bloodengutz has been at the event a bunch and everyone knows what he should look like.
The original actress for Chance still works for Universal, even during that time. The reason she didn't come back for the role was because Chance didn't get a big show like Jack did and tbh, Universal is more of a side job for her so if she wasn't going to be featured, then it wasn't worth her time.

However, she DID do commerical shoots for Chance in 26.

While this year is an anniversary year I hope we do not get an icon. It will be nice to see the Usher but it will probably be Jack. HHN 25 was fine but I don’t want to have it like that every year, maybe for HHN 35 in ten years.

The original actress for Chance still works for Universal, even during that time. The reason she didn't come back for the role was because Chance didn't get a big show like Jack did and tbh, Universal is more of a side job for her so if she wasn't going to be featured, then it wasn't worth her time.

Man, this spot is so much creepier than the garbage ads they put out on non-icon event years.

[/QUO

Didn't know that. All im trying to prove is a role (especially a non icon one) can be replaced by someone different.
It would be such a missed opportunity in my eyes to not have him return.
Plus I only started going during 27 and I really want to experience Bloodengutz, so there is some personal bias in there but it's not impossible or unrealistic to expect him back.

Something I gotta also mention is Murdy's progress. He is currently writing house number 6 in which (correct me if im wrong) puts him a bit ahead. I saw some people saying that Orlando is also ahead which would mean we should expect more Originals then IP's. I do agree with this statement, but them being ahead I don't think confirms more IP's.
Considering that Hollywood is also ahead im kinda lowering my expectations to a half n half year with Originals and IP's.
Also they are most likely sharing IP's again which makes me hard to see more Originals. Even though it's probable.

Didn't know that. All im trying to prove is a role (especially a non icon one) can be replaced by someone different.
Plus I only started going during 27 and I really want to experience Bloodengutz, so there is some personal bias in there but it's not impossible or unrealistic to expect him back.
I don't disagree that the role of Bloodengutz could be recast. If we can have three different cinematic Hulk's and three different Spider-Man's within a fairly short amount of time, surely enough we can recast a role created for a theme park. Especially when the VAST majority of attendees wouldn't even know who Bloodengutz is.

Something I gotta also mention is Murdy's progress. He is currently writing house number 6 in which (correct me if im wrong) puts him a bit ahead. I saw some people saying that Orlando is also ahead which would mean we should expect more Originals then IP's. I do agree with this statement, but them being ahead I don't think confirms more IP's.
Considering that Hollywood is also ahead im kinda lowering my expectations to a half n half year with Originals and IP's.
Also they are most likely sharing IP's again which makes me hard to see more Originals. Even though it's probable.
First, a lot of the “we want Bloodengutz back” comes from the same place as “We want icons back.” Which is, people who missed them the first time. Problem is lightning rarely strikes twice for Universal when it comes to the effectiveness of character returns.

The culture at Universal also isn’t one that “recast” notable roles. The guy who played Jack at 25 was the same guy who played Jack at 10. The woman who created Chance for 17, and played her at 25 and in media for 26 handpicked the women who played her character in the streets. Universal is extremely loyal to its performers. They won’t just recast HR.

Second, don’t consider what Murdy does in how Orlando operates. They are apples and oranges.

First, a lot of the “we want Bloodengutz back” comes from the same place as “We want icons back.” Which is, people who missed them the first time. Problem is lightning rarely strikes twice for Universal when it comes to the effectiveness of character returns.

The culture at Universal also isn’t one that “recast” notable roles. The guy who played Jack at 25 was the same guy who played Jack at 10. The woman who created Chance for 17, and played her at 25 and in media for 26 handpicked the women who played her character in the streets. Universal is extremely loyal to its performers. They won’t just recast HR.

Second, don’t consider what Murdy does in how Orlando operates. They are apples and oranges.

And once again, I just don't think they could come up with as strong a story with as strong a theme (holidays).

I do notice that they've always used the same Jack, Chance, Caretaker, Usher etc.. the only times I've seen Universal recast the Icons is Director and Storyteller

Ok then start now, just because the same person can't play Bloodengutz doesn't mean we can't recast him.
Sure Uni may be loyal to there actors but that doesn't mean they couldn't email or call or whatever the actor and be like "Yo, you wanna return for the role or should we recast?" He will probably end up refusing it but most likely glad someone is picking up his legacy at the event.
There shouldn't be any problems if they get permission (which they don't need anyway)
from the actor who played Bloodengutz.

Personally I think one or two nods to the past is fine, but would be good to see something new. I only recently started going to the event (HHN27 onwards), and so never experienced any of the icons or mascots or whatever. But to me that feels like it should stay in the past where it belongs.

Does the event need icons? No. Has the event suffered because there hasn’t been any icons the last few years? No. Nostalgia is fine, and yes it’s nice to have the odd nod or wink to the past, but I honestly don’t see what an icon can bring to the event in its current form.

I’d rather see something new and exciting, rather than dragging out characters which I’m supposed to be excited about because they’re from the past. And Joe Bloggs from GP won’t care either, which is the market Universal are targeting rather than us fans who would probably go to the event regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.