Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The culture at Universal also isn’t one that “recast” notable roles. The guy who played Jack at 25 was the same guy who played Jack at 10. The woman who created Chance for 17, and played her at 25 and in media for 26 handpicked the women who played her character in the streets. Universal is extremely loyal to its performers. They won’t just recast HR.
Part of that though is because she is high enough at Universal to have that power. She's a Performance Coordinator for HHN when she's not Chance so her job is literally to make sure people stay within IP restrictions or whatever restrictions are in place for originals. They probably consider their Icons as IPs so they allowed her to be in on the selection process for who carried the best qualities of Chance, as she would know.

Technically, that was a recasting. The same process could be done for HR. Bring back the original for auditions and ask who carries the best qualities of the character. It would be a short term hire. I'm not suggesting that this is going to happen nor do I really care if it does, but i'm saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Well, my opinion on the matter is simple. I love icons and so do many other fans. However, they are not needed. Not anymore. They were created for marketing the event until they figured out IPs work just as well, and arguably, better. Personally, it doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the lack of a Halloween/fall atmosphere last year and to an extent, 28. 28 at least had tons of pumkins and pumpkin creatures in two different scarezones. Even with the 80s synth everywhere, those areas at least looked the part.

Anyway, so I guess Horror Made Here is pretty much dead? Seems to be the general consensus anyhow. So how much higher of a chance (pun may or may not be intended, you decide) do y'all think for WB properties to start showing up? I guess bigger question is, which ones? 'Cause as far as I can tell, everyone is predicting The Conjuring.

Last edited:
Well, my opinion on the matter is simple. I love icons and so do many other fans. However, they are not needed. Not anymore. They were created for marketing the event until they figured out IPs work just as well, and arguably, better. Personally, it doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the lack of a Halloween/fall atmosphere last year and to an extent, 28. 28 at least had tons of pumkins and pumpkin creatures in two different scarezones. Even with the 80s synth everywhere, those areas at least looked the part.

Anyway, so I guess Horror Made Here is pretty much dead? Seems to be the general consensus anyhow. So how much higher of a chance (pun may or may not be intended, you decide) do y'all think for WB properties to start showing up? I guess bigger question is, which ones? 'Cause as far as I can tell, everyone is predicting The Conjuring.

The pumpkins are a dilemma...while they provide a Halloween/fall atmosphere, as you say, putting them out every year risks making the event feel cookie cutter. But yes, I feel 30 should have a couple of houses celebrating the past but also a few houses that do something new and fresh (my wish for a Scarecrow sequel would do both).

Hmm, I feel 28 had a very unique Halloween feel to it where as 29 had a synth 80's feel...I like them giving HHN a feeling rather than an icon.

The 'feeling' of Halloween is certainly not there for sure and I wonder what that would look like for them to move forward with more permanent Halloween decor during HHN

Hmm, I feel 28 had a very unique Halloween feel to it where as 29 had a synth 80's feel...I like them giving HHN a feeling rather than an icon.

The 'feeling' of Halloween is certainly not there for sure and I wonder what that would look like for them to move forward with more permanent Halloween decor during HHN

Really hoping they invest in "generic" Halloween decorations that can be displayed throughout the park's entrance and resort.

Personally I think one or two nods to the past is fine, but would be good to see something new. I only recently started going to the event (HHN27 onwards), and so never experienced any of the icons or mascots or whatever. But to me that feels like it should stay in the past where it belongs.

Does the event need icons? No. Has the event suffered because there hasn’t been any icons the last few years? No. Nostalgia is fine, and yes it’s nice to have the odd nod or wink to the past, but I honestly don’t see what an icon can bring to the event in its current form.

I’d rather see something new and exciting, rather than dragging out characters which I’m supposed to be excited about because they’re from the past. And Joe Bloggs from GP won’t care either, which is the market Universal are targeting rather than us fans who would probably go to the event regardless.
If they bring back the icons, they’re not going to be marketed like Jack was back in 25. In this case Terra Queen is rumored to return, so you’re probably not going to see her on billboards or commercials, especially if there’s rumored IP’s like Conjuring. She will probably have a scarezone or house, just to please the HHN fans. Also, realistically Jack is kinda the only Icon that can probably bring in more crowds. I mean something about a murderous clown grabs attention. Two days ago a clown got 11 Oscars nominations and IT is still the highest grossing horror film. Having any other icon that’s not Jack on a billboard or commercial really won’t make a difference.

1579105684033.jpeg

Yeah they are just running down a line up of what events are to come to Universal this year, although, I do like the title they gave it, 30 Years Of Horror sounds good, I'd love to see it on a t-shirt with all the icons surrounding it or on the back of the shirt or something but merch is for another time lol, also using Jack is just another quick cash-in, like you said, It Chapter Two is still recent peoples' minds and The Joker, 26 with Chance was almost in a similar way when Suicide Squad was starting to buzz around, regardless of the icons, it makes no difference that the ips are going to outweigh majority of everything for this year as they have been the last few years. I would just be glad to see the icons at the event and maybe a few of em having their own houses or mashup ones, but even though Jack being looked at the icon, I still think they could do something different, but then again 25 with Jack was a success, so fingers crossed on whatever comes this year.

Last edited:
Universal has a "upcoming in 2020" post with an image of the outside with icons on the banners. Don't read to much into it IMHO because they needed to replace the IPs with something else.

They used the same picture on travel agent marketing materials last year too.

I wouldn’t say it’s too crazy to read a little into ‘I can’t wait to see what — or who’s — lurking in the shadows’

I’d like to think that’s implying we can expect some recognisable faces, potential icons etc.

Universal has a "upcoming in 2020" post with an image of the outside with icons on the banners. Don't read to much into it IMHO because they needed to replace the IPs with something else.

I don't know if you are just using the generic form of 'icon,' but to be clear - the banners shown do not depict any of the HHN Icons. Though the banner image directly to the right of the main arch could be of the Terra Queen. It's hard to tell.

View attachment 11446

Yeah they are just running down a line up of what events are to come to Universal this year, although, I do like the title they gave it, 30 Years Of Horror sounds good, I'd love to see it on a t-shirt with all the icons surrounding it or on the back of the shirt or something but merch is for another time lol, also using Jack is just another quick cash-in, like you said, It Chapter Two is still recent peoples' minds and The Joker, 26 with Chance was almost in a similar way when Suicide Squad was starting to buzz around, regardless of the icons, it makes no difference that the ips are going to outweigh majority of everything for this year as they have been the last few years. I would just be glad to see the icons at the event and maybe a few of em having their own houses or mashup ones, but even though Jack being looked at the icon, I still think they could do something different, but then again 25 with Jack was a success, so fingers crossed on whatever comes this year.
Where on the website can I find this page?

Haven’t been on this forum in months, but I can’t wait for 30! Does anyone have any likely ideas on what’s coming to this years event even tho it’s extremely early?

Welcome back!

While it's definitely early, there's a couple things one could definitely speculate.
IP-wise, Jordan Peele's Candyman feels pretty safe to speculate with everything that falls into place with it. (Universal distributing the film, their relationship with Peele and the marketability of things.)
As for originals, the one that's safe to speculate is a return of Scarecrow, as a picture of it was featured in the initial PR of 30. Plus the PR did mention we'd be seeing things from the past. Be it a sequel, reimagining etc. (Along with a mix of new things, as well.)

Edit: As Joe reminded me, AoV is a lock as well as they've been invited back...as a open stage show.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

While it's definitely early, there's a couple things one could definitely speculate.
IP-wise, Jordan Peele's Candyman feels pretty safe to speculate with everything that falls into place with it. (Universal distributing the film, their relationship with Peele and the marketability of things.)
As for originals, the one that's safe to speculate is a return of Scarecrow, as a picture of it was featured in the initial PR of 30. Plus the PR did mention we'd be seeing things from the past. Be it a sequel, reimagining etc. (Along with a mix of new things, as well.)

The other lock is an AoV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.