Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the talk about Bill and Ted kind just needs to be put to bed, Universal acknowledges it's conclusion at 27 and yes they definitely did make a mistake in doing it for 27 and not for 28 since the 80s theme but regardless, if they brought back Bill and Ted, then 2017's show and emotional ending would have been for nothing, I am glad for the tenure that B&T has been for the event but I don't see them doing anything with em for the anniversary and with the new movie coming, I'm sure we could only imagine where the shows would have gone from here.

As for AOV, they are really sticking to me, after the shows last year, they've really have gotten a big following that they truly earned and deserve and would love to see what they bring this year apart from the last few years.

As for the icons, the event itself is just the icon now, although I would love to see the icons of the past take claim of the future events, I mean ips and themes are all the event is about and is what appeals to many people that come to the event every year. I mean back then when Universal were trying out things, of course it was necessary to use the icons as platforms for the event and they all worked out so well, not Storyteller so much but all icons had their footing when XX happened it was definitely aware that a new age for the event was happening and it was understood, it was sayonara to the old crew and welcome to what the event was truly to become with ips taking center stage, I don't mind except for the whole event centering on TWD for 23 when they could have gone a different direction that year but whatever the case, just hope this year's event is top notch and goes on to another level than what the previous years have gone.

I think the talk about Bill and Ted kind just needs to be put to bed, Universal acknowledges it's conclusion at 27 and yes they definitely did make a mistake in doing it for 27 and not for 28 since the 80s theme but regardless, if they brought back Bill and Ted, then 2017's show and emotional ending would have been for nothing, I am glad for the tenure that B&T has been for the event but I don't see them doing anything with em for the anniversary and with the new movie coming, I'm sure we could only imagine where the shows would have gone from here.

As for AOV, they are really sticking to me, after the shows last year, they've really have gotten a big following that they truly earned and deserve and would love to see what they bring this year apart from the last few years.

As for the icons, the event itself is just the icon now, although I would love to see the icons of the past take claim of the future events, I mean ips and themes are all the event is about and is what appeals to many people that come to the event every year. I mean back then when Universal were trying out things, of course it was necessary to use the icons as platforms for the event and they all worked out so well, not Storyteller so much but all icons had their footing when XX happened it was definitely aware that a new age for the event was happening and it was understood, it was sayonara to the old crew and welcome to what the event was truly to become with ips taking center stage, I don't mind except for the whole event centering on TWD for 23 when they could have gone a different direction that year but whatever the case, just hope this year's event is top notch and goes on to another level than what the previous years have gone.
I think that in some way, shape or form we’re going to see Bill and Ted this year. It’s probably not going to be as a show but maybe in the scare actor dining or something along those lines, or maybe I’m completely wrong and Universal won’t even mention them.
Also, so far from what I’m hearing, this year is looking pretty freaking solid.

Despite being one of the longest-running hard-core B&T fans on this board, I actually like a lot of what you say here. Moreover, from what I've heard of why the show was killed, I can't see any scenario where a new B&T Halloween Spectacular isn't neutered into a shadow of its glory days.

That said, there's so much smoke around this rumor I'm turning the fan over the stove on high and throwing open all the windows.

I think that in some way, shape or form we’re going to see Bill and Ted this year. It’s probably not going to be as a show but maybe in the scare actor dining or something along those lines, or maybe I’m completely wrong and Universal won’t even mention them.
Also, so far from what I’m hearing, this year is looking pretty freaking solid.
Mentioning them means paying for the rights to mention them.
Despite being one of the longest-running hard-core B&T fans on this board, I actually like a lot of what you say here. Moreover, from what I've heard of why the show was killed, I can't see any scenario where a new B&T Halloween Spectacular isn't neutered into a shadow of its glory days.

That said, there's so much smoke around this rumor I'm turning the fan over the stove on high and throwing open all the windows.
And with a new movie coming out, those rights can get expensive.

Mentioning them means paying for the rights to mention them.

And with a new movie coming out, those rights can get expensive.
I can see Universal just going with AoV again this year, watching and seeing how B&T performs at the box office and then inquiring for 2021. If the movie does poor business, then I doubt B&T3 can increase the rights by too much. The risk involved is if the movie does solid business (for the cost of production), then rights certainly go up.

Of course, a B&T movie has never come out in the 30 years of HHN (and this will likely be the one and only time) so this is a very interesting timing considering B&T's history with the event AND that it's the 30th. They can brand it as the Reunion Tour.

It's not like it would help the movie though in reality. The movie comes out in August and HHN starts after B&T will have made the majority of it's money in theaters. Maybe it would help it for home video/streaming?

The announcement would probably come out some time in July though, which would be an e-mail blast and Twitter/Insta post to hundreds of thousands saying "Hey, B&T are back at HHN....and also in theaters in a few weeks. Be sure to check them out."

I mean even if, it goes back to what I said, then 2017's farewell would have been for nothing, they gave B&T a big send off because I'm sure they were aware or told of the new movie that they would have to let the property go, they never had to worry about B&T because they didn't have to pay for them before, they were a free property because there was no movie or tv show in sight so of course they had free reign to use em at the event but with this new movie, the rights will go up just for the sole purpose they are being used now, so yes Universal could afford and get them back but that would also mean they would have to sacrifice some other original or ip that might have to be put on the backburner and with the progress they are making this year, I'm sure they don't wanna go that route, I'm sure they'll promote the movie in their own way but not at HHN. I wish I could be wrong and love to see Wyld Stallions rock again but if they are giving AOV the FF stage again, you could definitely tell what the outcome will be, the best option is maybe giving the show a big homage by adding em into the water show if they are doing it this year, I mean that would be cool at least.

Last edited:
I agree, they are already getting a big following, pairing them up with B&T will just over-stage them and that would be bad because many people would try and jump ship on them and want B&T even more if it's a one time thing, it's no bueno, so it's best to just leave AOV alone with the big stage.

There are a lot of other variables in bringing Bill and Ted back, outside of the rights. Namely, who quality checks the script? That was Mike, who had TWENTY YEARS experience writing and directing the show. Even in the later years, when he wasn’t explicitly writing or directing himself, he was at the rehearsals—massaging the shows to ensure they were true to their heart.

Patrick was the lead on the show for the later years, when the quality started to wane. And now, without Mike, Patrick would be the “senior” B&T expert (unless Jason gets involved with it again). Is that a show we really want?

Could B&T use FF and AoV use Animal Actors though? I'd think them using AA would be better than it being a street show in Hollywood.

There are a lot of other variables in bringing Bill and Ted back, outside of the rights. Namely, who quality checks the script? That was Mike, who had TWENTY YEARS experience writing and directing the show. Even in the later years, when he wasn’t explicitly writing or directing himself, he was at the rehearsals—massaging the shows to ensure they were true to their heart.

Patrick was the lead on the show for the later years, when the quality started to wane. And now, without Mike, Patrick would be the “senior” B&T expert (unless Jason gets involved with it again). Is that a show we really want?
I actually trust Jason if he were to come back, but let's be honest, other than 27, B&T was a mess for quite awhile. But it was a mess that people enjoyed.

Could B&T use FF and AoV use Animal Actors though? I'd think them using AA would be better than it being a street show in Hollywood.
The AA stage, and the kennels, prevents large pyro displays and extensive build-outs. They also wouldn’t want to close a fairy popular, kid-friendly show for two months to do anything with it.

A magician talking requires a lot space and makes a lot less noise than a 20-person dance troupe.
I actually trust Jason if he were to come back, but let's be honest, other than 27, B&T was a mess for quite awhile. But it was a mess that people enjoyed.
Jason is still there, and is the “creative replacement” for Mike. The question is if he would really want to get heavily involved in B&T or if he’d just leave it to Patrick (or Blake, I guess).

The AA stage, and the kennels, prevents large pyro displays and extensive build-outs. They also wouldn’t want to close a fairy popular, kid-friendly show for two months to do anything with it.

A magician talking requires a lot space and makes a lot less noise than a 20-person dance troupe.
I won't deny it's a very popular show with families. Almost every show fills up or close to it, so closing it would definitely take away something for families in a park already lacking things to do for families. I can totally get that. The animals are no excuse though as they don't actually stay at Universal overnight. They leave the venue with the trainers after the last show. Now sure, I can see how the kennels would prevent buildouts of places for pyro or whatever, but animals are no reason not to have pyro in that area as animals don't stay there overnight.

This all said, it does seem like Hollywood would be the better location for AoV if B&T comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.