The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 93 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get why everybody is so negativ about Billie Eilish. Yes it will draw a lot of young people to the event but besides that you have no clue how they will do that show. Maybe she even writes a new song for it and just because she has that show doesn't mean everything else as part of the show will be blocked. Another point is that I am really quite annoyed by those people that are always complaining. Did I complained about the rob Zombie Zone? NO but I also don't like his music at all. Same would go for Slipknot and a few others. But when they come to the Event I take it and wait on how they do it and after that I might be able to complain

Last edited:
So the fact A&D refused to give her a house is semi interesting. Is it simply her or do they not want a music house this year cause that could also rule out the possibility of hellbilly deluxe getting a house this year.

Reactions: Kadath
Let me add another POV to the Billie Eilish conversation. I am an 18 year old girl, so I fit neatly into her target audience. I was already planning on going to HHN, but this rumour has made me significantly more excited - pardon my naivety but I have literally no clue who Rob Zombie is, and likely neither do my age peers. Billie on the other hand??? I can't name a single one of my friends who doesn't like her music/ follow her on some form of social media/ plan to see her in concert. She will be a huge draw, and imo at least fits the horror theme nicely with her gothic visuals especially. If you don't like her music, fine. But you can't deny that she will definitely bring a lot of guests to the event, which is always a good thing, right??

So the fact A&D refused to give her a house is semi interesting. Is it simply her or do they not want a music house this year cause that could also rule out the possibility of hellbilly deluxe getting a house this year.

It tells me they’re trying to keep some kind of control for the 30th. And also, HHNO has never really been one for musical tie-ins. HD was an exception, not the norm. I never saw a Hellbilly Deluxe house happening.

Let me add another POV to the Billie Eilish conversation. I am an 18 year old girl, so I fit neatly into her target audience. I was already planning on going to HHN, but this rumour has made me significantly more excited - pardon my naivety but I have literally no clue who Rob Zombie is, and likely neither do my age peers. Billie on the other hand??? I can't name a single one of my friends who doesn't like her music/ follow her on some form of social media/ plan to see her in concert. She will be a huge draw, and imo at least fits the horror theme nicely with her gothic visuals especially. If you don't like her music, fine. But you can't deny that she will definitely bring a lot of guests to the event, which is always a good thing, right??
Do you think a simple lagoon show would draw in the crowds? Like if it was a house I would get the need to want to experience something so close to a artist I like but background music to a lagoon show?

Reactions: Kadath and JJ591
Using past IPs means re-purchasing the rights to them.

Right, but Universal has enough of their own iconic IPs to create their own show without licensing. UCM, Psycho, Jaws, The Thing, Halloween, Purge, Us. In fact, this brings up an even better point: why the hell don’t they do a John Carpenter lagoon show?!

Please don’t take any of the following as condescending:

She has ~50 million Instagram followers (45th in the world), and is the 7th most listened to artist on Spotify.

This concept will draw. Hell, a cardboard cutout standee of Billie would draw. She is the equivalent of Stranger Things in terms of mass appeal.

Also, to play devil’s advocate, Zombie’s album was about 21 years old at the time of HHN29, so 18 months is really nothing in terms of time

I guess this move makes more sense when you consider they don’t have ST this year. I had the same reaction to Hellbilly Deluxe last year, so I know better now than to prejudge this show. However, Zombie made more sense. He is the living incarnation of Halloween and horror. Billie Eillish is a privileged teenager with industry connections that makes neo goth ASMR pop with creepy visuals. To me, it doesn’t represent the horror genre. It represents another cash grab move by Comcast.

I’ll gladly eat crow again if the show and house turn out well. Again, Billie Eillish is by far better than most pop music out there. I do feel sorry though for whoever has to edit this show and listen to her music over and over and over again. Duh.

Right, but Universal has enough of their own iconic IPs to create their own show without licensing. UCM, Psycho, Jaws, The Thing, Halloween, Purge, Us. In fact, this brings up an even better point: why the hell don’t they do a John Carpenter lagoon show?!

I guess this move makes more sense when you consider they don’t have ST this year. I had the same reaction to Hellbilly Deluxe last year, so I know better now than to prejudge this show. However, Zombie made more sense. He is the living incarnation of Halloween and horror. Billie Eillish is a privileged teenager with industry connections that makes neo goth ASMR pop with creepy visuals. To me, it doesn’t represent the horror genre. It represents another cash grab move by Comcast.

1.To be fair, there isn’t much of a standard for what “makes sense” at HHN. Bill and Ted wasn’t the embodiment of Halloween or the horror genre, but yet it’s one of the most beloved shows in the history of the event.

2. It is absolutely a cash grab move for Comcast, but then again, so are about 90% of the properties/celebrities/etc brought in for the event. At the end of the day, they are as much in the business of making money as they are in the business of guests satisfaction.

Somewhere, someone did you a disservice. Both my 14yr old (who is an Eilish fan) and my 8 yr old can sing along to Superbeast and Dragula. They, also, know More Human than Human which is White Zombie and some Powerman 5000 (Rob’s little brother Spider). Considering all the music I’ve exposed them to, my daughter’s like of Eilish probably partially stems from my introducing her to multiple genres of music.

I was right about the huffs and eye rolls, by the way. I asked about Eilish...

And it still is a weird choice. Not due to the artist, but because it’s an artist. Even when Zombie was rumored last year, the idea of the lagoon show going to one artist (even Zombie or another horror music icon) is odd. The lagoon show has always seemed a way to tie everything together to me.

EDIT: I have a very eclectic taste in music. I’m willing to give just about anything a listen. I can connect certain music to just about any imagery as well. Can you make us see a way that Eilish can connect to known horror imagery? Could her music fit into imagery from The Conjuring or from Candyman?
Being centrally located, the lagoon works best when it pulls all the elements together instead of adding a brand new one.

Last edited:
Just to add context on how I found the Billy E. thing was that I actually went back to the cereal image and googled the magazine and cereal, clicked that image, and then that's how I found the Billy E. thing. It wasn't through the original image, not at all. So maybe that's what we may have to do with future ones, rather than purely reverse image searching it.

Went back to this applied what Legacy just said so I’m gonna take a quick stab at this.

So, this was the first clue posted which means (1) It has to be an IP, and (2) It was the first one locked or designed if it’s already being discussed. At this time we only have 3 consistent speculated IPs(Conjuring, Candyman, Billie as the Lagoon Show), meaning this must be one of the 2 left since Billie’s is cracked.

So:

1. Francis Keough was the Bishop of Providence, Rhode Island.

2. Bishop of the Catholic Faith(Indicated by “Mary Our Hope” on the coat of arms

3. Harrisville, Rhode Island is the location of The Conjuring 1.

4. He also was born in New Britain, Connecticut, being the state where the Warren Museum is located and being the central location of the Conjuring-Verse. Also, Conjuring 2 takes place in Britain.

5. Not really a step, but the Catholic Faith is a prominent part of the Conjuring movies - and the Nun is literally a horror version of a Catholic religious figure.

So Clue 1 = The Conjuring

I thought it could be Candyman but the only ties are “Mary” -> Bloody Mary -> Candyman or “Archbishop of the Poor” -> Cabrini Green -> Candyman. Conjuring has a lot more ties to this clue so I think that’s the final answer.

I mean, this is kind of exactly the road I took, so maybe it's not as far-fetched as I initially thought: Halloween Horror Nights 30 Speculation Thread

And this is why it’s important to remember, they’re not just marketing to us (mostly) older folks that are on this board, that are going to go anyway.

If you want the event around for another 30 years, you’re going to have to bring in a younger audience at some point.

That is true, my gf really likes her music and so does my niece and I understand now its definitely true, if we want more for horror nights for the future they'll definitely need to adapt to new stuff to bring in audience whether they like or not, and its directed towards the younger audience now, goes back to Stranger Things and that became real hot for the last two years and with Ellish it'll definitely spark a lot of excitement for younger audiences to come to the event this year and see her lagoon but most notably what other things Universal has to offer, it also makes sense since they can bring ST back since it's hiatus, I rather have her as a lagoon show rather than a house and hopefully they have the ips get their due also in the Lagoon mash-up type show, my gf has played me some of her music and I could see why people like her so I wouldn't mind giving a show a try, I was like that with ST last year and year before and I was okay with it, so sorry for my negativity last night, I hope the show does good.

I’m confused… so is it a Billie Eillish fountain show or a zone? Or both? All 3 make sense - I’m just gonna wait till they announce it.

Seems like a weird thing to share since Hollywood’s only show is Jabowockeez

FWIW my post was an observation of how they can frame future shows, not that I knew something.

As long as we get a lineup of scary and creative houses, I can completely live with this. :)

I agree it's 30 Years, Universal will still come out on top with some pretty epic houses this year, I am definitely excited to what they bring to the table this year and the rumors are definitely high up there, hope they happen and I'm more excited to see what originals they will do or bring back, 229 days :D

Thank you for your post (and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing who Rob Zombie is, btw), at first I was pleasantly surprised by the reactions but after the last few pages...yikes.

If her involvement in HHN is so bad to some of you there is always an option to skip her show or house. This isn’t taxes or the DMV you don’t have to experience it if it’s that bothersome to you.

Because they’re trying to broaden the appeal, not keep bringing in the same limited market. And a “John Carpenter” lagoon show would have such niche appeal it wouldn’t even be worth marketing.

HHN is not designed to please haunt fans. It’s designed to make money.

The event is incredibly different to when it started and to have any kind of longevity to it they need to try new things.

I think the Billie addition is great and the fact they’ve fought to not make it house tells me they’ve got a stellar 10 house line up for us.

If they don’t evolve then we get a boring event that will dwindle out and get cancelled in 10 years IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT :lol:

Because they’re trying to broaden the appeal, not keep bringing in the same limited market. And a “John Carpenter” lagoon show would have such niche appeal it wouldn’t even be worth marketing.

HHN is not designed to please haunt fans. It’s designed to make money.
Still amazed people don’t understand this. It’s a haunt event put on by a massive theme park. They only want your money people.

Status
Not open for further replies.