The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still amazed people don’t understand this. It’s a haunt event put on by a massive theme park. They only want your money people.

This is what cracked me up at the end of last season when everyone was predicting that Universal was DEFINITIVELY do something to limit the amount of teens and young people at horror nights, because... "it was ruining the experience"

Might be better in the "In Memoriam" thread over in Chit Chat.

A&D works with what they've got. The Lagoon show by design was never going to be as good as last year's. The novelty of it being the first time has worn off and we won't have nearly the same IP list as we did last year. Can you hum the Conjuring theme? If you can say yes to that, you're the outlier. Can you hum the Ghostbusters theme? I thought so. Ghostbusters, ST, and even kinda Klowns all have very recognizable tracks, and then the Monsters are the frikkin monsters. You're not gonna top that with the Candyman theme. Why not try something entirely different at that point?

I think what a lot of people wanted was an icons show--not gonna lie, I was one of them.

Legacy’s clues so far:

Clue 1(Maria Spes Nostra)-?
Clue 2(Fairy F)- Doctor Who(house)
Clue 3(Dinah Hayley)-?
Clue 4(San Abandon)-?
Clue 5(Tolietpaper)- Billie Eilish(lagoon)

@Legacy correct me of in wrong on the clue numbers.

I agree with @JJ591 about B&T for the Dinah Hayley clue.

I took another stab at The San Abandon clue. The song “lost in translation” came up when I looked for the clue picture. That song came out in 2016. Conjuring 2 also came out in 2016 so the clue is for the RUMOR of The Conjuring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kadath
Legacy’s clues so far:

Clue 1(Maria Spes Nostra)-?
Clue 2(Fairy F)- Doctor Who(house)
Clue 3(Dinah Hayley)-?
Clue 4(San Abandon)-?
Clue 5(Tolietpaper)- Billie Eilish(lagoon)

@Legacy correct me of in wrong on the clue numbers.

I agree with @JJ591 about B&T for the Dinah Hayley clue.

I took another stab at The San Abandon clue. The song “lost in translation” came up when I looked for the clue picture. That song came out in 2016. Conjuring 2 also came out in 2016 so the clue is for the RUMOR of The Conjuring.

Maria Spes is a shared IP since it was in the Hollywood thread too. And one of the two remaining clues is for a zone since Legacy said not all of them were for houses(can’t be a show though since it’ll likely be just Billie + AoV).

Reactions: Kadath
You’re still gatekeeping.

My grandfather was an opera singer. My mom taught music for 35 years. I started singing at 4 and performed professionally around Central Florida between 8 & 15. I’ve performed multiple times with the Voices of Liberty and the Dapper Dans, and sung with choirs throughout the US. So your experiences and understanding of music aren’t so unique that you can say “this doesn’t fit.” That’s your hang up.

A song fits a presentation at a creator’s discretion. The new Alanis Morissette musical shifts “You Oughta Know” from the POV of a girl talking to a guy, to a girl talking her ex-girlfriend who is with a guy now. “Pumped Up Kicks” is used in all sorts of media despite being about a school shooting. Damn near every ABBA song is shifted with a new meaning in Mama Mia, simply because of what’s around it (and who’s singing it). Context trumps lyrics, every time.

If the lyrics have to jive with, or neatly contrast from, a presentation—for you—then most music videos must drive you up the wall.

Most music videos do drive me up a wall. Even during my MTV days, the videos were there for the music not the visuals. I didn’t really watch them, I listened while doing other things. I don’t like Mama Mia. I haven’t ever been able to watch the whole thing. I’m not gatekeeping. I’m explaining my own limitations.

I asked questions that would help me better judge if music fit a horror theme for me. A yes or no would have sufficed.

You know how in Beetlejuice, it takes people time to realize that they're dead? Some of the longer time HHN fandom are taking a while to realize that they've aged out of the group Universal is focusing the event towards. Just my observation.

Then why bother with properties like UCM? They’re building a while land based on something from ages ago. It isn’t the age gap; it’s what is considered appropriate content for an event called Halloween Horror Nights.

I guess next year we can see Bjork, Grimes, and/or The Knife/Fever Ray since they’re all weirdo pop artists with a tinge of creepiness to their visuals!

Then why bother with properties like UCM? They’re building a while land based on something from ages ago. It isn’t the age gap; it’s what is considered appropriate content for an event called Halloween Horror Nights.

I guess next year we can see Bjork, Grimes, and/or The Knife/Fever Ray since they’re all weirdo pop artists with a tinge of creepiness to their visuals!

Opposed to Slash?

Also all of those artists you listed have one thing in common. Hmmmm.

Then why bother with properties like UCM?

Where do I start?

Firstly, because they view that property as an evergreen. They're also in the middle of a merchandising push with the classic monsters. You'll continue to see more stuff this year around Halloween time. The past year we've seen greeting cards, a new board game, various decorations. They want to turn iconic characters into a cash cow.

As for why they bother with an HHN house? They're not looking to alienate everyone, just have a little something that will draw different groups to the event. That's why you saw a big '80s property next to the current hot Netflix show, across the lagoon from an early 2000's cult hit, that was across the park from a mid-80's cult classic.

Last edited:
Bjork house based on the Human Behaviour video would be amazing.

Human Behaviour: Revenge of the Beasts. Big stuffed animal-esque costumes, actors moving as if in stop motion, extra scenes obviously, ends with a bear running you down in a car or something. I'd enjoy it.

Last edited:

Billie Eilish is one of the biggest musical acts going presently, a Universal (employee? Independent contractor? @SeventyOne can tell you) and works horror themes heavily into her music. Being too old for her audience isn't the ONLY reason to knock against her, but it's the argument behind the argument.

I think some people need to calm down about what is ultimately a minor part of the HHN experience. It's the music of the lagoon show for goodness sake! Hardly making or breaking the entire event. Some people are around a 4/5 here right now!

Stages of a Toxic Fandom:
1. I love this
2. I own this
3. I control this
4. I can't control this
5. I hate this
6. I must destroy this

If Eilish was a fan of HHN growing up and went to the Hollywood event it makes sense that she might want to be involved in creating a house and/or show. Maybe even be a part of the creative process. How many fans would leap at that opportunity if they could? That's how I see it and good luck to her.

I keep thinking when I check this place in the morning it’ll totally be better and yet...*narrator voice* it wasn’t better.

IyTVZZy.gif

Mary Shelley was 18 years old when she won a contest for writing Frankenstein. Billie Eilish and her sleep paralysis, demonic possession themed album just swept 4 major categories at the Grammies, one of them making her, at 18, the youngest person in history to be awarded “Album of the Year”.

Regardless of all the bad looks we’re still continuing to see here I think serious congrats are in order for her, I’m so excited she’s gracing us with her talents and I can’t wait to see her vision at HHN this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.