Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things I’ve found while googling (I’m going to at least try to help instead of solving):

Googling Darkwing and Daily What gives Elizabeth Daily who is a voice actress. She voiced Lightwave who was an energy being created from Gosalyn. Drake Mallard’s adopted daughter.

Googling Mike Mitchell illustrator by itself without darkwing gives E. Michael Mitchell. The illustrator for Catcher in the Rye and apparently a close friend of J.D. Salinger.

Second car guess:

- 2016 Hyundai Equus
- "Equus" is a fictional comic book supervillain - opponent of Superman
- The "Equus" character was created by writer Brian Azzarello
- In 2011, Brian Azzarello became the writer of the relaunched Wonder Woman series
- Wonder Woman was a 2017 film
- Robin Wright played Antiope in the Wonder Woman film
- Robin Wright was also the star of The Princess Bride
- The co-star in The Princess Bride is Cary Elwes
- Cary Elwes is Dr. Lawrence Gordon in the SAW movies
- A new SAW movie "Spiral" was scheduled to release this May (though it's going to be delayed due to the virus)

- ANSWER: SAW property of some sort

* NOTE - Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I actually much preferred V/H/S 2 to the first V/H/S.

You're not alone, I felt V/H/S was a missed opportunity. Too many slow burns with unsatisfying payoffs. (10/31/98 was the only one with a great punch to it.) Now with V/H/S 2 on the other hand, two words. Safe Haven. That segment alone is better than the 1st V/H/S in it's entirety, it's one of the most gleefully insane little short films which is so much fun to see unravel. (I would also include Slumber Party Alien Abduction, but I personally loathe that ending something fierce. They were so close to having a much better ending, too.)

So what “change” has there been to the BE rumor? Did they decide to turn it into a house after all? Add a scarezone?

Honestly they just need to leave it as a Lagoon show and nothing more, it doesn't sound appealing as a house even though there could be a concept for it, I rather another IP to be given the chance, scarezone, I'd see it being in either Hollywood or in San Francisco nowhere else, so it's really just best for a lagoon show. Let Hollywood get a maze version.

...it doesn't sound appealing as a house even though there could be a concept for it...
I can pull up this exact comment on a house every year. And nearly every year, it turns into a favorite.

Last year, it was Graveyard Games. In 2018, Seeds. In 2017, Hive. In 2016, Tomb. In 2015, Asylum... There’s Dollhouse, Dead End, Catacombs...

Basically, wait until we see how stuff is executed.

I can pull up this exact comment on a house every year. And nearly every year, it turns into a favorite.

Last year, it was Graveyard Games. In 2018, Seeds. In 2017, Hive. In 2016, Tomb. In 2015, Asylum... There’s Dollhouse, Dead End, Catacombs...

Yeah but those are Originals, the originals sometimes stump the IPs sometimes, I'd take a sequel from any of those houses than an Eillish house and yeah there is still enough time to really see the event to be fleshed out and see what we will experience, so I'll still keep my anticipations low till then.

Even though the Deadtime Stories house was cut last year, there was a good amount folks wondering how the Tooth Fairy could be scary and had to be shown how Knott's Scary Farm did the concept.

Yeah but those are Originals, the originals sometimes stump the IPs sometimes, I'd take a sequel from any of those houses than an Eillish house and yeah there is still enough time to really see the event to be fleshed out and see what we will experience, so I'll still keep my anticipations low till then.

In 2007, people thought Dead Silence was going to suck because the movie didn't do too well. The house ended up being one of the quintessential Dark Horse houses.

Even though the Deadtime Stories house was cut last year, there was a good amount folks wondering how the Tooth Fairy could be scary and had to be shown how Knott's Scary Farm did the concept.

In 2007, people thought Dead Silence was going to suck because the movie didn't do too well. The house ended up being one of the quintessential Dark Horse houses.

Dead Silence was awesome, I never thought it sucked, I'm just still skeptical about BE thing, but then again I just have expectation a little high, I have to keep em low for this year, I'm sure the house will be good if it comes to it, I'm still intrigued in the idea.

So since Haunting of Hill House, Bride of Frankenstein, Beetlejuice, and now Gremlins are most likely to be houses at this years event.. where do we think they will be located?

I’ve heard a rumor that Hill House is going into B108(Where Seeds & Universal Monsters were) but I don’t know how true that is. Any thoughts?

Hmmm...

Eilish house would, technically, be an original. It would be one of those weird IP/Original hybrids. It would really come down to who is creating the story for the house.

After watching her videos muted, just to see the imagery, I can see inspiration for many horror avenues. The Alice Cooper house wasn’t one of my faves because it specifically pulled imagery from lyrics. It didn’t seem to truly capture the whole essence of the music. Again, that’s one of my own limitations and hang ups.

But, if you remove the lyrics and go strictly by the music and imagery, there’s a lot to work with as a starting point. There’s far more jumping off points.

With the creative team being secluded, and if they write the story instead having one foisted on them, I see potential. There’s ways to make it work.

Horror music relies mostly on the chord used. That’s why the most successful horror music tends to be instrumental. We are hardwired to want a major chord and harmony. Augmented and diminished chords go against that and set us on edge. And that juxtaposition I asked about is there in her music. It just has to be played right.

I think a house sits better with me than a lagoon show. A house, in this instance, can better tell a story than a show. All I could picture for a show was her music videos playing.

Last edited:
Equus:

Equus has starred many famous actors, including Anthony Perkins
Anthony Perkins starred in Hitchcock's Psycho
One of Hitchcock's most notable works is Spellbound, which takes place in a mental asylum
Psycho+Spellbound=Psychoscareapy?

Are we ever gonna just let this kid live??

Tgz93BR.gif

Things I’ve found while googling (I’m going to at least try to help instead of solving):

Googling Darkwing and Daily What gives Elizabeth Daily who is a voice actress. She voiced Lightwave who was an energy being created from Gosalyn. Drake Mallard’s adopted daughter.
Elizabeth Daily also played “Dottie” in PeeWee’s Big Adventure. PeeWee, aka Paul Ruebens, was in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.