Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming this whole Gremlins thing is true, is this looking to be Gremlins 1 only? Or would it be like Ghostbusters where it’s only the 1st movie but characters from the 2nd movie make its appearance. Or hell, maybe both movies combined?

I feel like many of the people against Sabrina haven’t seen it and still associate the IP with the 90’s sitcom. There is a lot of dark imagery they can pull from in the new show. The sets and monsters themselves could be awesome.
I fully agree. Many thoughts shared on Twitter about the possible Sabrina house that were negative began with “I haven’t seen the show”. The show is very good and I recommend watching it.

I fully agree. Many thoughts shared on Twitter about the possible Sabrina house that were negative began with “I haven’t seen the show”. The show is very good and I recommend watching it.
If satanism is a issue with the house being created I still think you could do a house with very minimum satanism references. But I mean it seems kinda silly a teen to adult event can’t use any occult type themes

Assuming this whole Gremlins thing is true, is this looking to be Gremlins 1 only? Or would it be like Ghostbusters where it’s only the 1st movie but characters from the 2nd movie make its appearance. Or hell, maybe both movies combined?
If I had to guess I would say mostly one and possibly some gremlins from 2 like ghostbusters

if they do a billie house i bet they have to create new music for it, her current songs wouldnt really fit a hhn house

I know I’ve already mentioned it, but, “Bury A Friend” was featured in AoV last year so I’m sure if she’s not involved directly they’ll make it fit.

The musical that’s unlikely to reopen before it closes for The Music Man?

And Hot Topic isn’t exactly the paragon of “horror.” I‘m sure hanging right next to Beetlejuice is Jack Skellington.

To be fair, the Beetlejuice musical is closing for reasons closer to inside politics than lack of monetary success. No matter how well Beetlejuice was doing, (and it was doing quite well towards the end), the Winter Garden Theatre had the game rigged in favor of the musical they really wanted from the beginning and there wasn't really anything BJ could do about it.

That said, I don't think Beetlejuice is a true Mega IP like Stranger Things or Exorcist, but the musical existing is not a drawback by any stretch of the imagination. I know a ton of people who only care about the character and movie because they first heard of it through the musical.

The speculated list of IPs reads as HHN for people who aren't into horror. I'd like to see Bride, Haunting, Gremlins, and Beetlejuice, but none of those scream dream/must have IPs.

The Bride is one of the original Universal monsters, arguably the longest staple of HHN. Beetlejuice always pops up again and again in wishful thinking threads -- I'd say top 3 with Conjuring and various works of Stephen King. In terms of horror, box office and brand recognition, Gremlins* is in a class with any of the classic 78 - 88 horror films HHN has done. And Haunting ... well, I think they like being in the Netflix business for the time being, so do a less known IP house this year and you're still on friendly terms to get Witcher or the next Stranger Things in 2021 and beyond.

* The sequel got campy and played as comedy, even openly mocking the first movie. But the original is an atmospheric gore fest that at the time caught a lot of flack for only having a PG-13 rating.

To be fair, the Beetlejuice musical is closing for reasons closer to inside politics than lack of monetary success. No matter how well Beetlejuice was doing, (and it was doing quite well towards the end), the Winter Garden Theatre had the game rigged in favor of the musical they really wanted from the beginning and there wasn't really anything BJ could do about it.

That said, I don't think Beetlejuice is a true Mega IP like Stranger Things or Exorcist, but the musical existing is not a drawback by any stretch of the imagination. I know a ton of people who only care about the character and movie because they first heard of it through the musical.
I get the inside baseball of Music Man. It’s hard to argue.

But your last point doesn’t exactly speak to the strength of the IP. If a Broadway musical is the first time people are hearing about a thirty year old movie, it’s not a strong IP.

With Hollywood rumored to also have sabrina do we think that makes it more concrete that it’s coming this year?

I mean, it’s the first spec map, and it’s only logical it would be shared if it WAS coming. I don’t think anything is anymore concrete just because it’s a duel-coast rumor.

The speculated list of IPs reads as HHN for people who aren't into horror. I'd like to see Bride, Haunting, Gremlins, and Beetlejuice, but none of those scream dream/must have IPs. Eillish and Sabrina are entirely unnecessary outside of marketing, which is going to be diminished this year anyways. Glad to hear not to expect these exactly.

Well, the rights to all the "dream" IPs at this point are absolute nightmares.

Everyone (mainly on Hollywood side) is always asking for The Thing--since it's a Universal property, shouldn't the rights to it be pretty easy?

Another thing--I am a bit concerned that the loss of SIF will have a negative impact. A lot of creativity can come from sensory stuff (e.g. getting water and air sprayed on you)--for a pretty low budget, no less. Such tricks were employed to create what's often considered Central Florida's scariest attraction ever. And what the event ultimately needs to be good is some amount of gimmicks, creativity and novelty.

Last edited:
I get the inside baseball of Music Man. It’s hard to argue.

But your last point doesn’t exactly speak to the strength of the IP. If a Broadway musical is the first time people are hearing about a thirty year old movie, it’s not a strong IP.
It's true. I view Beetlejuice as more on the tier of HoTC or Trick R Treat as a more or less niche franchise that would be cool for fans and could work fine as an extra face on mugs and napsacks, but it definitely couldn't hold the entire event on it's shoulders alone.

All I was saying is that the musical doesn't hurt him if he did happen to be the Headliner. I'd be a lot more worried if the musical didn't exist and he was still headlining, that'd be way too much pressure on that IP.

Also for the record, I would love anything Beetlejuice at the event, and judging by the fact that Legacy has designed 2 Beetlejuice houses in his free time, I assume he appreciates the franchise as well. :lol:

The Bride is one of the original Universal monsters, arguably the longest staple of HHN. Beetlejuice always pops up again and again in wishful thinking threads -- I'd say top 3 with Conjuring and various works of Stephen King. In terms of horror, box office and brand recognition, Gremlins* is in a class with any of the classic 78 - 88 horror films HHN has done. And Haunting ... well, I think they like being in the Netflix business for the time being, so do a less known IP house this year and you're still on friendly terms to get Witcher or the next Stranger Things in 2021 and beyond.

* The sequel got campy and played as comedy, even openly mocking the first movie. But the original is an atmospheric gore fest that at the time caught a lot of flack for only having a PG-13 rating.

Gremlins was PG. It was part of a class of movies to come out that year that created the PG-13 rating.

Beetlejuice is a popular IP, but compared to IPs like Conjuring and It, the Beetlejuice movie did not rake in over $1 billion and doesn’t really have notable characters aside from Beetlejuice himself. Still popular, but it’s definitely not on that level.

Beetlejuice might be what I’m most excited about, I don’t get the hate
It's true. I view Beetlejuice as more on the tier of HoTC or Trick R Treat as a more or less niche franchise that would be cool for fans and could work fine as an extra face on mugs and napsacks, but it definitely couldn't hold the entire event on it's shoulders alone.

All I was saying is that the musical doesn't hurt him if he did happen to be the Headliner. I'd be a lot more worried if the musical didn't exist and he was still headlining, that'd be way too much pressure on that IP.

Also for the record, I would love anything Beetlejuice at the event, and judging by the fact that Legacy has designed 2 Beetlejuice houses in his free time, I assume he appreciates the franchise as well. :lol:
I love BJ. Always have. I’m not a huge fan of the musical because of the way they reworked the narrative to focus more on Lydia mourning her mom and how insufferable the Maitlands become, but my dislike for the show is because of how much I like the movie.

That said, he’s a weak IP. Gremlins is, arguably, an even weaker IP. Comparing them to HoTC is completely fair.

I love BJ. Always have. I’m not a huge fan of the musical because of the way they reworked the narrative to focus more on Lydia mourning her mom and how insufferable the Maitlands become, but my dislike for the show is because of how much I like the movie.

That said, he’s a weak IP. Gremlins is, arguably, an even weaker IP. Comparing them to HoTC is completely fair.

Your definition of a "strong" IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.