Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like haunting of hill house will be the AHS level house and Sabrina will be more of a Ash vs evil dead type. Do one house and not see it reappear again.
I see both existing somewhere between TWD/ASH/ST and Ash/FDTD in terms of popularity at the event. They're solid anchors each bringing in good demos that the latter group couldn't bring in but aren't four-quadrant like the former group.

I think we've talked about this a lot in the past, but Universal doesn't have a ton of heavy hitters waiting in line anymore. Big names like Halloween, Saw, Blumhouse, and the big 3 TV headliners feel tired at this point and other big IPs like The Thing, TCM, Jurassic Park, Alien, Ghostbusters, etc. have either already been done before or have already inspired classic Original houses in the past.

So what's left? Among sparse others, we have Hellraiser, Gremlins, Day of the Dead, Beetlejuice, The Ring, They Live, and Paranormal Activity. All of them could work fine as the B or C tier houses of an event but I really struggle to see anything here as the headliner, barring maybe Hellraiser.

Scream, IT, and Conjuring are the biggest IPs in line and all three have huge obstacles in the way of them coming to the event. Has it happened before? We got The Shining so nothing is truly impossible, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not surprised if IP houses this year seem a little less grand than in the past.

Your definition of a "strong" IP?
I believe he’s going off of fans it will pull in. I’m presuming (just going off of the hot spec right now) Hill House and Billie Eilish?
Not “fans.” People. Specifically, horror casuals who don’t plan their entire year around HHN. A strong IP is one that entices a person with no interest in HHN to attend. TWD, AHS, Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, and the Big Three (Freddy, Jason, and Leatherface) did that. Conjuring, IT (Stephen King in general, actually) would do that. Billie Eilish, in any capacity, could do that.

Beetlejuice and Gremlins will attract some niche fans, but it’s a niche that’s already inclined towards attending (assuming they hear about it). Your big IPs aren’t niche.
Are you serious? At least half th horror merch I've bought in the last twenty years has been from HT
How much Invader Zim stuff did you have to dig through to find it? Hot Topic doesn’t sell horror. They sell irony. You get your horror stuff from there because they’re the only ones selling it.

Not “fans.” People. Specifically, horror casuals who don’t plan their entire year around HHN. A strong IP is one that entices a person with no interest in HHN to attend. TWD, AHS, Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, and the Big Three (Freddy, Jason, and Leatherface) did that. Conjuring, IT (Stephen King in general, actually) would do that. Billie Eilish, in any capacity, could do that.

Beetlejuice and Gremlins will attract some niche fans, but it’s a niche that’s already inclined towards attending (assuming they hear about it). Your big IPs aren’t niche.

How would you classify HoHH and CAoS?

Man it'd be nice if the "only needing a few IPs" rumors came true, if what you say about how much of a draw these IPs are is correct.

I’m hearing whole other houses that could replace stuff on that map.
If a couple of the details I’m hearing are true, your whole list will change.
A strong IP is one that entices a person with no interest in HHN to attend.
Your big IPs aren’t niche.

You hint a lot as well all know. Is this possibly a hint that you're hearing the possibility of a big IP that, if it was procured by Uni, could flip the whole event on the scale of one of those "headliner" IP types?

How much Invader Zim stuff did you have to dig through to find it? Hot Topic doesn’t sell horror. They sell irony. You get your horror stuff from there because they’re the only ones selling it.

You’re correct about many a thing, sir. But you are dead wrong on both points. There are plenty of retailers hawking horror online and off, and it’s a substantial part of HT’s offerings.

How would you classify HoHH and CAoS?
I classify IPs by five tiers. Classifying them is more art than science, and it ignores purely "non-horror" IPs. I could add a sixth tier of "not happening," but it's not really needed.

Tier 1: Popular, Soft-Horror - This is the Stranger Things, TWD, and AHS. While AHS is scary, its horror can be fairly muted compared to the things in Tier 2. Billie Eilish actually fits here. In theory, Ghostbusters fell here, too. Probably the only current IP that hasn't been used (recently) that fits in this tier is Jurassic Park. This is casual and marketing friendly. Perfect grabs.

Tier 2: Popular True-Horror - Here is where the Conjuring, IT, the Titans of Terror, Scream, etc. reside. The reason why it's Tier 2 is because its closer association with horror does turn off a segment of the general population. This is what attracts the "horror casuals" I referred to previously (people who will go see Conjuring, but won't bother watching Hellraiser).

Tier 3: Known True-Horror - Here is actually where a good number of HHN stuff falls, and what most HHN fans want to see. The Thing, Halloween, Child's Play, Hellraiser, and the like fall here. This is for stuff that the "horror casuals" are aware of, but may have never bothered seeing. They work as headlining filler. Honestly, I'd argue Haunting of Hill House and the Classic Monsters fall here.

Tier 4: Cult Classics - These are the IPs that target niches and, pretty much, speak for themselves. Trick or Treat, Evil Dead, HoTC, Klowns, etc. fall here. Pure filler, mostly, and meant to be the bone thrown to the demanding HHN fans. Their horror bono fides are less important than their popularity within the niche. Beetlejuice, Gremlins fall here. I'd put originals (all, including icons) in Tier 4.

Tier 5: Known Soft-Horror - Here's the fun one. These are soft IPs that don't attract horror fans, but can draw niche "horror casuals." Think Fear Factor, Doomsday, Dracula Untold, and similar IPs. I'd actually put Sabrina here, specifically because using requires fighting a perception about the show.

You hint a lot as well all know. Is this possibly a hint that you're hearing the possibility of a big IP that, if it was procured by Uni, could flip the whole event on the scale of one of those "headliner" IP types?
I'd put it in either Tier 2 or 3.

I’m curious to know how you guys think crowds will be with the virus or the lack of a property like stranger things? I know billie would bring tons of crowds, but I don’t see anything else bringing in as much of a crowd as stranger things or Billie...

Not sure if this is true or not.. but one has heard some rumors that 3 of those houses on that speculation map are not happening at this years event.
1. Sabrina was never a part of this years event. A no-go.
2. Billie might actually still be a part of the lagoon show and not a house in Orlando.
3. Gremlins was originally planned for this years event but is now out of the equation.
Also.. There might actually be an icon/marketing tool for the event this year after all.. And if true this icon, she definitely deserves another shot and would make a lot of sense with the rumoured originals.

Thats all that I’m hearing currently.
But again NOT SURE if its true or not. So this could all be false or accurate. Although I heavily believe Sabrina is NOT happening.

I’m curious to know how you guys think crowds will be with the virus or the lack of a property like stranger things? I know billie would bring tons of crowds, but I don’t see anything else bringing in as much of a crowd as stranger things or Billie...

Under normal circumstances I’d say Billie would do the trick as a house at least.

Not sure if this is true or not.. but one has heard some rumors that 3 of those houses on that speculation map are not happening at this years event.
1. Sabrina was never a part of this years event. A no-go.
2. Billie might actually still be a part of the lagoon show and not a house in Orlando.
3. Gremlins was originally planned for this years event but is now out of the equation.
Also.. There might actually be an icon/marketing tool for the event this year after all.. And if true this icon, she definitely deserves another shot and would make a lot of sense with the rumoured originals.

Thats all that I’m hearing currently.
But again NOT SURE if its true or not. So this could all be false or accurate. Although I heavily believe Sabrina is NOT happening.
Is it possible Sabrina and gremlins are potentially not coming because of WB?

Status
Not open for further replies.