Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights XX: Twenty Years of Fear

My thoughts (going by the screamscape rumors), this is the 20th anniversary. Universal is going to do something epic, something that will please long time fans but will still make sense for the first timers. Don't think of it as a reunion. I seriously doubt the title will have the word "reunion" in it at all. I think it will be more along the lines of a massive celebration (well... not exactly that word... that makes it sound far too cheerful. But you get the idea). It will draw from the best the HNN has produced, but it will have it's own story/plot/theme as well. (Kind of like how Harry Potter and the forbidden journey draws from all of the books, but it has it's own title and story)

I realize that's extremely vague, but I'm just trying to present the right feel that I think HNN20 will have (if the screamscape rumors are true).

My thoughts (going by the screamscape rumors), this is the 20th anniversary. Universal is going to do something epic, something that will please long time fans but will still make sense for the first timers. Don't think of it as a reunion. I seriously doubt the title will have the word "reunion" in it at all. I think it will be more along the lines of a massive celebration (well... not exactly that word... that makes it sound far too cheerful. But you get the idea). It will draw from the best the HNN has produced, but it will have it's own story/plot/theme as well. (Kind of like how Harry Potter and the forbidden journey draws from all of the books, but it has it's own title and story)

I realize that's extremely vague, but I'm just trying to present the right feel that I think HNN20 will have (if the screamscape rumors are true).

I think your right. But even more so, I HOPE your right. That's exactly the approach needed, that would work best. Celebrate the classics, but with a fresh original spin.

Another addition to my idea, Ride attendants would also be doctors but to make it more creepy they could have gas masks on to show how they dont want to be tested but its fine for you to be tested on.

I think your right. But even more so, I HOPE your right. That's exactly the approach needed, that would work best. Celebrate the classics, but with a fresh original spin.

Exactly. Last year's "Ripped from the Silver Screen" was a really cool theme. Just it being a reunion doesn't feel like a very strong story- which is the most important factor to any theme park attraction (this obviously doesn't apply to your local Six Flags, hence the underlined "theme")

To be more specific about my previous post, I think the iconic characters from the past HHN's will gather together for some sort of event (that's the word I was looking for to replace celebration). What said event could be... well it could be quite a few things. There's the wedding idea, a VS idea, etc etc. (or it really could just be a massive gathering, as long as it has a good story). Regardless what the event could be, it still fits with the reunion rumor- because they are still reuniting.

This is off topic, but I still find it odd that Disney has more intense "scary" rides than Universal.

I think the whole idea of condensing each year into a different house sounds horrible. Instead I think they should take one house from each year and re-create it. Like, for example: Bring back the Universal Palace Theatre and update it with horror films from 2009-2010. I also approve the idea of an all-out Icon war to see who's the better Icon. On the HHN site there could be a poll and the house representing the Icons year has a counter that tallies the amount of people that went thru it. By the end of the event they combine the poll with the house that got the most attendees and announce the winner. whuudya think?

I think the whole idea of condensing each year into a different house sounds horrible. Instead I think they should take one house from each year and re-create it. Like, for example: Bring back the Universal Palace Theatre and update it with horror films from 2009-2010. I also approve the idea of an all-out Icon war to see who's the better Icon. On the HHN site there could be a poll and the house representing the Icons year has a counter that tallies the amount of people that went thru it. By the end of the event they combine the poll with the house that got the most attendees and announce the winner. whuudya think?

I dont really like the idea, universal just needs to come up with something totally new and scare the crap out of everybody i understand yeah its number 20 but that gives them more excuse to go all out and completely transform th park so you cant go a sceond without crapping your self, or being totally confused about whats going on dont bring back past attraction, yes some of them are classics but dont bring back jack etc

theres many problem with bring backs

- they could make a past year look crap and ruin the characters original scare factor
- they have had their moment
- you may ruin it as somethings you just cant re do

Ummm they did take houses from the first 16 yrs and re did it.. it was during the Sweet 16 lol

Also Jack would win hands down.. even though most fans hate his guts cause we seen him to many times.

I still don't get why people think we see Jack too much. All of Disney's events are themed to Mickey and his friends (Mickey's Not so scary, Mickey's Verry Merry Christmas Party, etc.) and you don't see people rant that Mickey is overused. Why can't HHN have a centralized icon?

I like an Idea of a celebration, Maybe call it A Gathering of all Evil. BBPH I like were your idea is going, but they tried to tie a full story together at 15 and it just didn't work. However Roxie did look great as the Terra Queen. They did an Icon House years ago called Halloween Horror Nightmares (If the name is wrong, sorry I am close) And by most accounts was one of the worst Houses of all times. They put all the icons including eddie in a jumbled theme house that just didn't work.

I say Grow a Set and Lets get Eddie as the Icon his time has come!

I still don't get why people think we see Jack too much. All of Disney's events are themed to Mickey and his friends (Mickey's Not so scary, Mickey's Verry Merry Christmas Party, etc.) and you don't see people rant that Mickey is overused. Why can't HHN have a centralized icon?

HHN is a constantly evolving monster. It's always pushing the boundaries of what scares you. Much in the way that the "3D style" house used to frighten people, it's now become a campy, oldschool type of house with almost no true fear factor. Some people are frightened by clowns, (like Jack), but still others find him to be overbearing, or not frightening at all. Horror Nights succeeds in that there is bound to be something that scares EVERYONE.

One idea that was tossed around on pages like HHNRumors.Com, would be that since this is a celebration year, to have mazes themed to each of the previous years. (i.e. - Ripped from the Silver Screen: The Maze, Reflections of Fear: The Maze, etc.) bringing the best from each year back... It's an idea, but its definitely something that would have to be... carefully executed as to not be too cluttered.

^ definitely times a thousand on your last sentence, samuraiblue.

Personally (just an idea), I think it would be great just to have each icon have its own house, rather than each year have its own house.

But I'm not too familiar with HHN, to be honest. I've never been :lol: I'm just using common sense and four classes of college english/writing (I might minor in English for absolutely no reason, lol).

So to those of you that know HHN well, are there specifically 10 characters that you can think of that deserve their own maze/house (honestly, why call it a maze if it doesn't have any dead ends?)

HHN 16 gave each Icon there own House. The only part when they brought some of the houses back. People Under the stairs, In the Mind of Norman Bates, The Dungeon of Terror They were not good. Of course I did the Original Mind of Norman bates and it sucked the first time. They did an updated Version of RUN with Eddie and it was more like a version of Hostel instead of the original RUN house, Which was one of the worst houses ever (The Original not the follow up) We have had Screamhouse 3 times, Pshycoscarepy 3 or 4 times. All Night drive In 2 times ( but at 14 they did a wax Museum house that was similar to the old Museum of Horror)

I have said this before there is only so many horror themes out there, and HHN does a good job at times of spicing the old ones up. ScreamHouse has always been one of my favorites, because it took a simple theme and made it work. It also had my favorite Icon Albert caine, I mean he is the perfect Halloween Icon, a freaky Undertaker. But that was also kind of taken from a little movie called Phantasm. Now Phantasm would be a great House.

We have had Screamhouse 3 times, Pshycoscarepy 3 or 4 times. All Night drive In 2 times

Plus many other similarly themed houses.... Body Collectors had multiples and houses that had some variety, plus the Run Houses, and the Sprung bldg. houses etc. etc. etc. We could build an entire list! (And Also, The Caretaker was my favorite Icon too!!)

So needless to say, I don't think repeating themselves will be a concern. I think if anything... They'd want to create a kinda.... "Best Of..." Year. Something to feature the highlights of the last 20 years...

tiredoldspook said:
If it is a reunion Screamhouse and Psychoscarepy and Drive In would be a must IMO.

And I couldn't agree more. I'd like to see....

Screamhouse (The Caretaker)
Psychoscareapy (Jack)
Drive In/Movie Theme (The Director or The Usher)

... Sounding like Sweet 16 yet?

Body Collectors
Some form of an IOA house with The Jurassic Scientists, Marvel Villains, Treaks and Foons, Terra Queen, etc.... (That'd be hard to do cleanly though...)
Some form of Horror Classics House with Jason/Freddie/etc. or Frank/Drac/Mummy/etc. (Although that may be too similar to the past two years.)
A Space/Alien House

Etc... The list could go on. Truth is, that they've gotta try and put something together that will do previous HHN years justice, while still keeping the material and the horror fresh.

I would like one mega HHN tribute house and then 7 other fresh houses with classic twists in them.

That'd be cool... But again, the fear would be that the "Mega" house being the must see house would have the longest line. Over the last few years, they've cut most major wait times by advertising that there are three or four "Must See" Houses....

1) 16 - Caretaker / Jack / Storyteller / Director
2) 18 - Jason / Freddie / Leatherface
3) 19 - Saw / Palace Theater / The 'Classic' Monsters

It's their way of crowd control...

I don't think a mega house would have the longest line because the casual fans may recognize the icons but they may not see it as the star house If universal does what they did with Silver Screams. It is more hardcore fans that would make the line long, and they know that the other houses on the list are just as important as the main one.