Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Reboot (2018)

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It was officially revealed today that Miramax and Blumhouse Pictures will be making a brand new reboot on the classic franchise; Halloween.

Big Breaking Halloween Movie News from John Carpenter and Blumhouse - Dread Central

The Target release window is October of next year, with no director as of yet. But, it was revealed that John Carpenter; the creator of the horror classic, will executive produce.

Thoughts on there being another reboot of the classic slasher? Are you excited with the thought of Blumhouse getting a shot at it? Comment down below!

At least Carpenter is attached to the project.

It's really my attitude to all remakes/reboots. There have been enough of them that I've enjoyed at least as much as the originals that I'll take a crack at any of them.

John Carpenter being attached as an EP doesn't mean much. He's said many times he loves reboots because it plays him a lot of money and he doesn't have to do anything. The only thing I've ever seen him excited about in regards to making a new film was an adaptation of DEAD SPACE that he really wanted to do.

Last edited:
I didn't hate Rob Zombies remake, but the 2nd one was horrible. The Halloween movies are my favorite slasher franchise, so I'm interested in this for sure. Especially with Carpenter involved.

Whether it's another sequel or remake, I'd like to see them make Michael Myers more human. Not some big giant like in Zombies films. Or in the later sequels, some invincible force. In the original, he was just a regular guy in a mask, and that's what made it terrifying.

I think it'd have to be a remake. If this was present day, Michael Myers would have to be nearly 60 years old.

It was officially announced that the Miramax Halloween film would be co-written by David Gordon Green & Danny McBride (Pineapple Express) as the duo will both be directing the film..

David Gordon Green Directing ‘Halloween’ for Miramax | Variety

And before anyone does groan and moan, mind I say that there have been comedians that have done horror before with a huge degree of success? For example, I can simply point out directors that have done an IP for HHN before with success; like Sam Raimi from the Evil Dead series; Joss Whedon from The Cabin in The Woods; and one of the most iconic in this list, John Landis from his work in the iconic film of An American Werewolf in London.

It's also being done with not just Carpenter but also Jason Blum of Blumhouse and Malek Akkad which has been apart of the IP for a good period of time.

The film releases on October 19th, 2018.

Danny McBride was asked on more of the upcoming reboot, and he has had this to say.

Look at where the Halloween franchise has gone. There's a lot of room for improvement (laughs). David and I are coming from it as, we are horror fans, and we are humongous fans of John Carpenter and of what he did with the original Halloween, so I think from watching this and being disappointed by other versions of this series, I think we're just trying to strip it down and just take it back to what was so good about the original. It was just very simple and just achieved that level of horror that wasn't corny and it wasn't turning Michael Myers into some supernatural being that couldn't be killed. That stuff to me isn't scary, I want to be scared by something that I really think could happen. I think it's much more horrifying to be scared by someone standing in the shadows while you're taking the trash out as opposed to someone who can't be killed pursuing you.
So we worked for about three weeks on our take of what we would do, because we weren't even sure if we wanted to do it. I'm the same way, I'll be the first person to go online and bitch about someone rebooting something, like "why are you doing this?" So for us, we were like we have to make sure that this is something we actually would want to see or else it's not worth doing. We came up with a take that we thought was cool, and then we actually went and pitched to John Carpenter, and he loved it, he was into it. It was like insane to have his seal of approval and to have him respond to where we were talking about taking Michael Myers next.

Danny McBride on bringing the Halloween franchise back to basics - Movie News | JoBlo.com

I have a stupid amount of faith in this movie. Carpenter and Curtis are attached, Blum has a better track record with horror than most people outside of arguably A24, and David Gordon Green is someone I trust. So many passionate people attached, it can't be that bad, can it?