Hamilton (2020) | Inside Universal Forums

Hamilton (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Plan is currently for the Original Cast to all come back and reprise their roles. Of course that was the plan with In The Heights too.

Of course, Lin has way more credibility in Hollywood these days. On the docket, he has ...tick, tick, BOOM, an original animated musical at Sony, working on the music for Disney’s live-action Little Mermaid and of course In the Heights this summer. He’s a busy man now.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Disney will be presenting the Original Cast version of Hamilton in theaters in October of 2021.

It will be an official taping from the last week of when everyone from the original cast was involved with the show.

Talk about A+ content for Disney+. Certainly wasn’t expecting this to be distributed by Disney.

I just don't get why it isn't coming out in theaters until October 2021. Isn't the footage already made?

Successful shows currently on Broadway or touring are usually scared that a movie version would cause a downturn in revenue. They tend to want to wait a number of years before allowing a film version. It's one of the reasons it has taken Wicked such a long time to hit the big screen.

I’m just so baffled that this is a blatantly, in-your-face DISNEY distribution. Disney is extremely image conscious and Hamilton will definitely get an R-rating for a theatrical release. It’s not exactly family friendly fare.

It would’ve made more sense under the 20th Century Studios banner.

Yeah they shot it years ago. I'm going to be pretty upset if they cut / edit the swearing in it.
I don’t think Lin-Manuel would allow a butchered version of the show to see the light of day.

I’m just so baffled that this is a blatantly, in-your-face DISNEY distribution. Disney is extremely image conscious and Hamilton will definitely get an R-rating for a theatrical release. It’s not exactly family friendly fare.

It would’ve made more sense under the 20th Century Studios banner.

I don’t think Lin-Manuel would allow a butchered version of the show to see the light of day.
I think this was just for the announcement. I think we’ll notice closer to release that “20th Century Pictures by Disney” or something like that will become more prominent than simply “Disney.”

Reactions: Nick
I think this was just for the announcement. I think we’ll notice closer to release that “20th Century Pictures by Disney” or something like that will become more prominent than simply “Disney.”
I guess we’ll see.

I definitely did NOT catch the 2021 part of the announcement this morning. And even then I thought October seemed far for something like this. :lol:

I definitely did NOT catch the 2021 part of the announcement this morning. And even then I thought October seemed far for something like this. :lol:
It’s definitely because of the Tours going on. I believe the tour is ending next year (and even if not, it’ll have traveled the US extensively by the time this hits theaters). The tour is coming back to Orlando next January.

Can it really be called a movie if it’s just a filmed version of the stage show? I mean, will it be allowed to compete for Oscars?

Shows usually have some sort of contractual stipulation when on broadway or touring about various things like opening new permanent shows or releasing a recording of the show. Usually it’s after the show has ended or a certain about of years. I’m not surprised it’d be 2021 and I HUGHLY doubt the touring show is ending. In fact I think a theatrical release would help sell tickets over cannibalize them.

Hamilton has so far been managed in a particular way to maximize the average ticket price. The 2021 date is probably a point at which they feel like they have already gotten the most outta premium tickets but do not wanna wait too long since the original cast has gone to release it.

Last edited:
Hamilton has so far been managed in a particular way to maximize the average ticket price. The 2121 date is probably a point at which they feel like they have already gotten the most outta premium tickets but do not wanna wait too long since the original cast is gone to release it.
I think by then we will all be long gone :lol: You mean 2021

The national tour is nowhere near ending. They currently have 3 tours out on the road, unheard of for most productions. By 2021 I can see one of them shutting down, but really all I see is The San Francisco/LA production closing and the other 2 tours continue. They'll be touring for the next decade, at least. Likely longer. Only about 4-5 years ago (if that) Wicked shut down their 2nd national tour, and are still going strong touring today. Hamilton's tour is going absolutely nowhere. I follow Broadway quite closely so while yes, a film distrubution can sometimes contribute to lower sales, Hamilton is just such a different animal.

Reactions: Disneyhead
The national tour is nowhere near ending. They currently have 3 tours out on the road, unheard of for most productions. By 2021 I can see one of them shutting down, but really all I see is The San Francisco/LA production closing and the other 2 tours continue. They'll be touring for the next decade, at least. Likely longer. Only about 4-5 years ago (if that) Wicked shut down their 2nd national tour, and are still going strong touring today. Hamilton's tour is going absolutely nowhere. I follow Broadway quite closely so while yes, a film distrubution can sometimes contribute to lower sales, Hamilton is just such a different animal.
It's a show that begs to be seen in person.