Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 139 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks didn’t know that existed.
Usually they're not too hard to figure out. Except when posters use an abbreviation that's a bit different from the actual name of the attraction. That's when it gets really annoying. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the parks, but sometimes I'll read something with an abbreviation that's off a bit, and I'll just sit here for a while trying to figure it out, and usually I can't. I know I'm getting old, but I'm not that old yet. :lol:

I am SO on board with this ride being a Universal interpretation of the Disney "mountain range" ride (minus the height of course.) Long track, long ride length, family thrills, indoor/outdoor layout with immersive theming running alongside the track, sense of speed conveyed and enhanced by the environment, etc.

I'm hearing we're getting a lot of rockwork which is awesome but I'm trying to figure out where in the Harry Potter universe there is land with low rocky outcroppings. We're assuming it's dark forest themed but is it possible that a large chunk of this takes place on the lower water-level area in and around the "base" of the castle like in the below image? Obviously the ride wouldn't literally be anywhere near the base of our castle façade but having the in-universe setting be "on the other side of the castle" is perfectly doable and kind of genius. Consistency with the existing castle can be retained pretty easily thanks to the remote and hidden nature of the queue approach and queue building. The queue is long and disorienting with loading/unloading hidden from guests so it's perfectly reasonable for the initial ride setting to be at the base of the mountain outcroppings somewhere on the outskirts of the castle. This would allow us to feel like we're really travelling from Hogwarts to the Forbidden Forest and back again on the ride itself instead of just having us board already in the forest. This also fully justifies retaining the indoor queue. If the castle façade is appropriately dressed up to include rockwork, we could be walking through hidden tunnels and passageways of Hogwarts grounds. Thoughts?

Hogwartsmatte1c2_2.jpg

I am SO on board with this ride being a Universal interpretation of the Disney "mountain range" ride (minus the height of course.) Long track, long ride length, family thrills, indoor/outdoor layout with immersive theming running alongside the track, sense of speed conveyed and enhanced by the environment, etc.

I'm hearing we're getting a lot of rockwork which is awesome but I'm trying to figure out where in the Harry Potter universe there is land with low rocky outcroppings. We're assuming it's dark forest themed but is it possible that a large chunk of this takes place on the lower water-level area in and around the "base" of the castle like in the below image? Obviously the ride wouldn't literally be anywhere near the base of our castle façade but having the in-universe setting be "on the other side of the castle" is perfectly doable and kind of genius. Consistency with the existing castle can be retained pretty easily thanks to the remote and hidden nature of the queue approach and queue building. The queue is long and disorienting with loading/unloading hidden from guests so it's perfectly reasonable for the initial ride setting to be at the base of the mountain outcroppings somewhere on the outskirts of the castle. This would allow us to feel like we're really travelling from Hogwarts to the Forbidden Forest and back again on the ride itself instead of just having us board already in the forest. This also fully justifies retaining the indoor queue. If the castle façade is appropriately dressed up to include rockwork, we could be walking through hidden tunnels and passageways of Hogwarts grounds. Thoughts?

Hogwartsmatte1c2_2.jpg

This will not be like Matterhorn, BTMR, or Everest IMHO.

This will not be like Matterhorn, BTMR, or Everest IMHO.

I never meant to say the ride would travel in and around the mountain range of the castle. I was only giving a best guess on a potential load/unload setting that would make use of the rumored rockwork. I still think the ride involves travelling to and around the dark forest.

I'm thinking of it as a shorter Cheetah Hunt, only without the hills and drops, plus better scenery, and a few show scenes for good measure.

(I haven't been on many coasters, so my comparisons are lacking lol.)

When you say "shorter" you mean shorter in height and not shorter in ride time I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coaster length actually. I meant shorter in distance. Pretty sure Cheetah Hunt has a pretty long path.

Without knowing how long the few show scenes are, there's no telling how long this ride will be.

For comparison, Cheetah Hunt and Expedition Everest have almost the exact same length of track at 4,429 feet and 4,424 feet respectively. I hope it isn't too much shorter than Everest.

For comparison, Cheetah Hunt and Expedition Everest have almost the exact same length of track at 4,429 feet and 4,424 feet respectively. I hope it isn't too much shorter than Everest.
The Mummy is half the length at 2,200 feet, but is the same ride time as Cheetah Hunt. Show scenes make shorter tracked rides last longer. And Everest has a lift hill climb at the start, whereas this ride will not.

I don't expect the new coaster to have a long run time. This won't be Gringotts with stop/starts for every single scene. This will mostly be a fast-paced coaster ride that also has exquisite scenery and some show scenes sprinkled throughout. Without a lift hill and without constant screen stops, I'm not expecting anything too long. The Mummy may be the closest example we have currently. But I expect the new ride to have a couple less show scenes and a little more coaster-ing than Mummy.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
The Mummy is half the length at 2,200 feet, but is the same ride time as Cheetah Hunt. Show scenes make shorter tracked rides last longer. And Everest has a lift hill climb at the start, whereas this ride will not.

I don't expect the new coaster to have a long run time. This won't be Gringotts with stop/starts for every single scene. This will mostly be a fast-paced coaster ride that also has exquisite scenery and some show scenes sprinkled throughout. Without a lift hill and without constant screen stops, I'm not expecting anything too long. The Mummy may be the closest example we have currently. But I expect the new ride to have a couple less show scenes and a little more coaster-ing than Mummy.
Got it. Thanks for tempering expectations a bit. I guess the confusion I have is the plot of land it's on. We're hearing it's taking up the entire footprint so even without a lift hill, I imagined it would be a pretty long ride by coaster standards (not dark ride standards).

The vibe I get why I allude it more to Grizzly, as it is rather fast paced, even if it's about 3 minutes. From what I can guess, this attraction will interact with itself and it's environment more than I think we are expecting, even if it's shorter than Big Grizzly Mountain.

Got it. Thanks for tempering expectations a bit. I guess the confusion I have is the plot of land it's on. We're hearing it's taking up the entire footprint so even without a lift hill, I imagined it would be a pretty long ride by coaster standards (not dark ride standards).
I think because of the long fast straight bits and how it hardly ever overlaps itself it will take up a lot of space without too much track. Remember too, the sides of the track will be heavily themed and will try to keep itself fairly separate from scene to scene, which doesn't leave as much space for more track.

I might guess 3-3.5 minutes, (or more depending on how long the bigger inside scene is and if there's a scene inside the load building.)

EDIT: Which is the same as Mummy, one my favorite rides at the resort, so I'm still very much excited.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Perhaps this is already something mentioned, but I think I am curious of asking, to what extent will the track be themed by? Will it be more like a standard track seen, or would it be themed to it's environment?
I know it will look like wooden bridges when passing overhead of other track in a couple spots. That's better theming than most steel coasters already right there.

I think because of the long fast straight bits and how it hardly ever overlaps itself it will take up a lot of space without too much track. Remember too, the sides of the track will be heavily themed and will try to keep itself fairly separate from scene to scene, which doesn't leave as much space for more track.

I might guess 3-3.5 minutes, (or more depending on how long the bigger inside scene is and if there's a scene inside the load building.)

EDIT: Which is the same as Mummy, one my favorite rides at the resort, so I'm still very much excited.
"Long fast straight bits" keeps getting me more excited for this. It takes no time for 0-35, hulk does 0-40 in 2. So what is the speed looking like on this baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.