Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 276 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me, to drop something honest and truthfully.

Disney, is not the End-All, Be-All. There are plenty of other places that have more modern examples of how to properly theme coasters.

Check ye'self, Mike on expectations.
I know. That was just the closest example I could think of for an outdoor coaster.

“If you see the supports it’s not themed” is a terrible angel and slippery slope.
It’s not just supports. The actual ride of Dragon Challenge was freaking barren of any theming. You rode over an empty dirt ditch surrounded by wire fence. I really don’t understand why people get so defensive over wanting better out of a Universal coaster especially when we’re actually getting it.

You seem confused. This is what a themed roller coaster looks like.
IMG_3570.jpg

While this ride won’t be on a mountain this seems to be the standard they’re shooting for with everything we’ve heard about it. Dragon Challenge had theming in the queue and that’s it, just like every other lazily themed coaster where the designers think simply giving it a name is good enough.

Because Harry Potter showed what they were really capable of and I wanted to see that standard applied to the rest of the parks. And yes, it was an eyesore on Hogsmeade. I’ve had this opinion since opening day.

Not a good excuse to never try though. At the end of the day Universal seems to have agreed with my stance on Dragon Challenge so there we go :cheers:

Btw, Six Flags is an amusement park. Universal runs theme parks. Higher standard.
And this is one the the best themed coasters anywhere.

seaworld-manta.jpg

If anything, for how big of a space taker Dragon Challenge was. It's really excited to see the full extend of that area being used to the max for this new attraction

I think Jurassic World getting a coaster is a mistake, unless it follows a theme similar to what we are seeing here.

I would like to point out, that I didn't know they had the car's like this.

734110_orig.jpg

;)

Allow me, to drop something honest and truthfully.

Disney, is not the End-All, Be-All. There are plenty of other places that have more modern examples of how to properly theme coasters.

Check ye'self, Mike on expectations.

Inverted/floorless = Potato/Tomato. Close but not quite.

I always thought that Dueling Dragons played the concept perfectly. The castle was cool as could be and the trains were themed appropriately. The inverted coasters gave a great ride. I don't get all offended by seeing supports. Disney, the champion, has plenty of coasters where you see supports. SDD, the Indy Coasters, and even Space Mountain (though it is a little dark) all have visible supports. It's just about impossible to disguise the coaster supports for a major coaster, especially if it has any height to it.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I hope this coaster uses a mix of Big Thunder and Everest theming, meaning that whenever possible the rockwork can reach to just the bottom of the track to hide supports as much as possible. And for portions where the coaster needs to go high bridges and other themed structures can help mask supports.

I hope this coaster uses a mix of Big Thunder and Everest theming, meaning that whenever possible the rockwork can reach to just the bottom of the track to hide supports as much as possible. And for portions where the coaster needs to go high bridges and other themed structures can help mask supports.

As low to the ground as this is, I would think that your comments would be very feasible. One coaster in Europe (I think) actually painted the supports to look like birch or aspen tree trunks. It was quite clever.

Reactions: Mike S
As low to the ground as this is, I would think that your comments would be very feasible. One coaster in Europe (I think) actually painted the supports to look like birch or aspen tree trunks. It was quite clever.

That's the attention to detail I hope Universal adds. The brown supports and track already suggest to me that Universal plans on theming the area to be a rustic forest setting.

On another note, it's quite remarkable how this is Universal's first attempt at an outdoor highly themed coaster in the likes of Big Thunder, Everest and 7DMT.

Reactions: Mike S
Inverted/floorless = Potato/Tomato. Close but not quite.

I always thought that Dueling Dragons played the concept perfectly. The castle was cool as could be and the trains were themed appropriately. The inverted coasters gave a great ride. I don't get all offended by seeing supports. Disney, the champion, has plenty of coasters where you see supports. SDD, the Indy Coasters, and even Space Mountain (though it is a little dark) all have visible supports. It's just about impossible to disguise the coaster supports for a major coaster, especially if it has any height to it.
That’s why I used Big Thunder as an example rather than those. I wasn’t championing for Disney, I was simply using a very well known example of a greatly themed coaster. To be fair to Indy though it’s themed as a mine cart track which do have supports themselves when elevated. I expect the same for Donkey Kong.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrenRays and SkiBum
I feel like it's fair to point out, that's from Intamin as-well, and it's a highly themed roller coaster with exposed supports that work with the project that it has.
Taron also proves my point of how un-themed Dragon Challenge was. There’s so much there that your eyes barely focus on the supports. The track is also painted in a way to almost blend in with the rock work. This is actual effort put into theming a big coaster, not Dragon Challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.