Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 311 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shotcrete is a wonderful thing. Should last a while depending on the thickness and quality of the mix. Dying it is costly. I understand the park "masonry" are faked or veneers..was referring to cost.

Reactions: Disneyhead
The rebar is bent by a computer and assembled in 4'X4' squares. They then add a fabric backing. After the squares are applied to the structure, they shotcrete it in sections. Then a rock work artist sculpts the wet shotcrete to create the strata lines based on the type of rock being created. Potter is all granite.
Yes, If any has been following along on SWL, its all exactly what you are talking about. And that is what "Rockwork" is in theme park lingo

Reactions: Joel
Last year I bought a home and left the shell and reworked everything else. It costed a ton (or 2) and was a ton of work. Deciding where the light switches go, what way the doors turn open, adding a bathroom etc. I can't imagine how much work this thing is. Water management, lighting of the ride at night, music, speakers, sound effects, show scene's, a complex coaster system, theming, airco, colors, signing, story development, plants, roofing, security, safety, maintenance, cleaning, landscaping, queue management, personal etc.

Reactions: Joel and SkiBum
BIoo2kM.gif

Last year I bought a home and left the shell and reworked everything else. It costed a ton (or 2) and was a ton of work. Deciding where the light switches go, what way the doors turn open, adding a bathroom etc. I can't imagine how much work this thing is. Water management, lighting of the ride at night, music, speakers, sound effects, show scene's, a complex coaster system, theming, airco, colors, signing, story development, plants, roofing, security, safety, maintenance, cleaning, landscaping, queue management, personal etc.

I know. The ride system alone and getting the timing right between the coaster and the show scenes is very intricate. Even aligning those LSM fins. Very small tolerance gap by necessity. The engineers and design teams are earning the money on this one.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Blaw923
I know. The ride system alone and getting the timing right between the coaster and the show scenes is very intricate. Even aligning those LSM fins. Very small tolerance gap by necessity. The engineers and design teams are earning the money on this one.

One of the features I've thought about a bunch is the timing of when a train shoots through the bridge after hagrid's hut, and how that will probably be timed so that a train is going underneath back into the station. Sorta like Space Mountain how a train shoots by those on the lift hill and scares first timers.

Reactions: Ryno27 and SkiBum
I doubt they'll be able to time it given all of the variables that come into play between those two scenes. It works in space mountain's favor only because the amount of time spent on the lift is equal to or greater than the frequency in which the train speeds by, which means you almost have a guaranteed shot of seeing it happen every time you ride the ride - although where you are on the lift when it happens is not a guarantee. Variables such as train weight and boarding delays have to be taken into account as well.

I doubt they'll be able to time it given all of the variables that come into play between those two scenes. It works in space mountain's favor only because the amount of time spent on the lift is equal to or greater than the frequency in which the train speeds by, which means you almost have a guaranteed shot of seeing it happen every time you ride the ride - although where you are on the lift when it happens is not a guarantee. Variables such as train weight and boarding delays have to be taken into account as well.
This will have a moving station which means consistent dispatches every time unless there’s some delay that causes them to stop the train in the stations.

giphy.gif

9CbH.gif

VVUisUM.gif

btw Gabe - how's the rest of the landscaping going?? I'm sure @Teebin is still on the edge of his seat

EDIT:

Similarly this could be a waiting area / final scene so a decent amount of time could be spent here as well. Hence the wheel drives at this locations vs LSM

This will have a moving station which means consistent dispatches every time unless there’s some delay that causes them to stop the train in the stations.

Accounting for ADA transfers which happen frequently at UO this is probably not a high priority for the design team. If they wanted a surprise effect on the brake run they'd build one that isn't dependent on operations to function accordingly. Not saying it wouldn't be cool to see a train fly by - but I highly doubt that the flyby is there for that purpose.

Reactions: Andysol
View attachment 7478

View attachment 7479

View attachment 7480

btw Gabe - how's the rest of the landscaping going?? I'm sure @Teebin is still on the edge of his seat

EDIT:

Similarly this could be a waiting area / final scene so a decent amount of time could be spent here as well. Hence the wheel drives at this locations vs LSM

They’re using drive tires because of cost and because it’d be completely unnecessary to install LSMs in a deceleration zone. Same reason Escape from Gringotts uses drive tires.

It looks great. If this is the part I think it is, I think the track will have something separating them. Given the history of Dragon Challenge, I don’t think they’ll want flyovers without having to introduce metal detectors again.

Stole my thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.