Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing Disney has arguably done better in FL is ToT. Personally, I have FoP, Gringotts and ToT in a three way tie for third best in Orlando behind Spidey and FJ.

For me- I look at the greatness of an attraction based on how it defines the genre. All of which have been around for decades before Disney or Universal redefined them.
Splash Mountain redefined flume rides
Tower of Terror redefined drop towers
Spiderman redefined dark rides

And here we are 28, 23 and 18 years later- and with the exception of spider-man -nothing else can top them in their respective genres.

FoP, while great and extremely fun- didn't "redefine" simulators- and will likely be topped in it's genre within the next 5 years.

"Greatest/Best" and "Most enjoyable right now/Favorite" are two totally different conversations. But FoP should only be considered for the latter.

To bring it back around to the new HP Coaster- I'm eagerly awaiting for Universal or Disney to bring us the next "redefining" ride. Maybe this redefines a roller coaster in a way that Gringotts attempted but failed. For the Record- Gringotts is my favorite Universal ride, but it's more of a dark ride than coaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNIrd
Soarin' and Test Track were basically "proof of concept" for larger more fleshed out attraction concepts in FoP and RSR. Much like Kong 360 was for Skull Island: Reign of Kong.
I'd replace RSR with JttCotE in Tokyo since that was much closer to when TT opened. I'd also say FoP is too radically different for Soarin' to be considered a proof of concept for that.

Reactions: Jones14
FOP proves a good ride can overcome meh IP.

I'm hoping that the new Potter ride isn't a meh attraction that relies on Potter to be amazing.

I also hope it's not too thrilling so that I can ride it.

I'm with you on that latter part. Expanding the Hogsmeade area by adding a Forbidden Forest should add a dimension that will address a few of the complaints that guests currently have about Hogsmeade. The major complaints they have, as far as I can tell, are that:

1. Hogsmeade is too crowded
2. Hogsmeade is too hot
3. Hogsmeade is too small
4. Forbidden Journey makes too many guests sick

The first three can be addressed simply by using space wisely and adding trees and other shaded areas. Something akin to Knockturn Alley wouldn't hurt, either. That fourth problem, though: that one comes down to what kind of experience this new ride offers. Universal doesn't want families complaining about how yet another Harry Potter ride is unrideable, but they don't want to make it a baby ride, either.

Reactions: amelia and Mike S
I find it interesting in the Temporary Attraction Closures section in theme park hours, Universal chose to leave out "family attraction." As you can see it only mentions it's a thrill ride. It is probably because of the limited space but I still find it interesting that they don't consider that to be important enough to put it in there.
  • "Dragon Challenge™: Closing on Sept. 5 to make way for a new generation of thrill ride that will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures on a coaster that redefines the category."

Reactions: JPRA513
I find it interesting in the Temporary Attraction Closures section in theme park hours, Universal chose to leave out "family attraction." As you can see it only mentions it's a thrill ride. It is probably because of the limited space but I still find it interesting that they don't consider that to be important enough to put it in there.
  • "Dragon Challenge™: Closing on Sept. 5 to make way for a new generation of thrill ride that will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures on a coaster that redefines the category."

I re-read the Gringotts announcement yesterday and it said a family thrill ride too. That's 42"- so there's lots they could do even at 42"

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
What in hell could this be themed to... zipping and whizzing around what and where? The motorcycle thingy really has no place in Hogsmeade does it?

Unfortunately, I think the only thing in the Harry Potter canon (books and movies) that's really suited to being a roller coaster is Gringotts. So... that's done. The next obvious thing I can think of is something quidditch themed, since the experience of zooming around on a broomstick is probably close to that of riding a coaster. Of course, you can't make a roller coaster where the ride vehicle is a broomstick, and you'd see the track which would destroy even the pretense of illusion.

So there's the flying Ford Anglia, the Thestral carriages, the flying Motorcycle & sidecar, or... some enchanted flying benches? They're going to have to make something up, even if it's as simple/silly as "Hagrid enchanted his motorbike to give you a tour through the forest," or "Luna managed to enlarge the Ford Anglia".

A roller coaster is a weird fit for a Forbidden Forest ride.

Unfortunately, I think the only thing in the Harry Potter canon (books and movies) that's really suited to being a roller coaster is Gringotts. So... that's done. The next obvious thing I can think of is something quidditch themed, since the experience of zooming around on a broomstick is probably close to that of riding a coaster. Of course, you can't make a roller coaster where the ride vehicle is a broomstick, and you'd see the track which would destroy even the pretense of illusion.

So there's the flying Ford Anglia, the Thestral carriages, the flying Motorcycle & sidecar, or... some enchanted flying benches? They're going to have to make something up, even if it's as simple/silly as "Hagrid enchanted his motorbike to give you a tour through the forest," or "Luna managed to enlarge the Ford Anglia".

A roller coaster is a weird fit for a Forbidden Forest ride.

Lots they could do. Just a quick thought- you're in a thestral carriage on a nice little tour of all physical sets. Get to a screen- Hagrid tells you xyz is coming and you need to get out immediately and the thestrals are spooked and won't go any further. All done on a screen scene- he takes them off the carriages, grawp comes and ties a long rope to it to drag you out of there and as he goes off screen pulling the rope he starts dragging your around super fast. All physical sets with some screens mixed in background so you can see the occasional grawp hand pulling or foot running, etc.

That's just an off the cuff idea from someone who doesn't create rides- I mean, it could literally be anything. . In JK/UC we trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.