Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 341 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing photos! Appreciate the super high res.

Now, I'm going to be a complete heretic. This land is charming in it's Disneyland-like cobbled together lack of master planning. I guess that's even Harry Potter-esque.

BUT... it strikes me that the next step is to tear out Flight of the Hippogriff.

1. It gets rid of the endless walk to this new attraction.
2. It consolidates Hagrid's Hut
3. It would allow them to theoretically extend the mountain castle facade, which it looks like they sort of doing anyways.
4. They could consolidate lockers between both attractions (I remember Forbidden Journey is horrendous, expand the gift shop instead).
5. It allows a semi-natural location to build a Great Hall Dining location (the primary use of the site outside of queue re-working).
6. Madame Puddlefoots could be built at the current entrance to the new attraction and add a proper second full land of facade to Hogsmeade.

Now all I need is that train photo-op to be relocated to satisfy my brain. I think that's a good enough wish list.

You forgot Hagrid's Pumpkin Patch flat ride with spinning pumpkins!

Yay, final launch is being enclosed.
nice spot!

I'll be posting links later on for anyone to download all full resolution images (not just those posted here) since I can't go through them all on my own to find stuff like this. You'll also be able to zoom-in at a higher quality since the originals are 42 megapixel images, vs the downsized 6 megapixel images posted here.

Indeed there are very old buildings that still remain.
My biggest surprise is that they actually use real materials in a theme. Just like all those fake bricks they make from concrete and then paint. At Efteling Baron 1898 has real bricks and I feel for the duration it stands it would be much cheaper.
While they aren't full bricks, the stones on the outside of Hogsmede Station are individual "blocks" of stone (similar to the old Perma-Stone if anyone remembers them). A few fell off backstage when a truck hit the train trestle.

While they aren't full bricks, the stones on the outside of Hogsmede Station are individual "blocks" of stone (similar to the old Perma-Stone if anyone remembers them). A few fell off backstage when a truck hit the train trestle.

I KNEW IT!!! Ever since that station opened I felt sure that it was precast in some fashion. This is not what was done for hogmeade proper. Although it is all concrete, Hogsmeade stonework was hand sculpted in place.

Grrrr... that fugly precast station with it’s wearing roof panels *spit spit spit*. It’s Mark Woodbury’s fault.

0:)

I KNEW IT!!! Ever since that station opened I felt sure that it was precast in some fashion. This is not what was done for hogmeade proper. Although it is all concrete, Hogsmeade stonework was hand sculpted in place.

Grrrr... that fugly precast station with it’s wearing roof panels *spit spit spit*. It’s Mark Woodbury’s fault.

0:)
Probably would have been easier to carve them. I mean these are hundreds and hundreds of individual blocks that had to be cemented onto the frame. That includes the outside walls, the queue area and the station proper. Pretty much 80% of the station is these individual blocks.

nice spot!

I'll be posting links later on for anyone to download all full resolution images (not just those posted here) since I can't go through them all on my own to find stuff like this. You'll also be able to zoom-in at a higher quality since the originals are 42 megapixel images, vs the downsized 6 megapixel images posted here.

You sir are a class act.

I made this detail from Bio’s picture for those who like construction minutiae.

QS1FErR.jpg

There is one near me about 20 mins away that does that too but they build high end timber homes. I agree it looks like that’s the best way to build a structure like this.

Reactions: JoeCamel
When we lived at Davenport in Florida there where home that had these fake stone strips glued to their home. Coming from the Netherlands the American homes feel like movie sets and not actual homes.
A bricklayer here can do about 1000 stones a day when there are no complex shapes involved. It's not that time consuming. There is no need to repaint the thing every 5 years either. Barom 1898 was build in 10 month and the building is from real brick and wood (total cost 18 million Euro).
30220178872_5e13622a18_b.jpg

It looks like one of the New Hampshire timber framing shops built this then disassembled it and shipped it down. The beams are let into the center post like a ship's mast would be done.

Yes, it appears that the wood was stained while it was assembled elsewhere.

And... on reflection, perhaps I am wrong and that train stations in England from the 1920’s would have been built of crap precast concrete faux stonework. Hm... I am going to my corner to ponder my shortsighted ideas. :stun:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryno27
Yes, it appears that the wood was stained while it was assembled elsewhere.

And... on reflection, perhaps I am wrong and that train stations in England from the 1920’s would have been built of crap precast concrete faux stonework. Hm... I am going to my corner to ponder my shortsighted ideas. :stun:
Check out some 'real' stonework. If you scroll down to the Pittsburgh photos on page 10 of UK Trigg's trip report, you will see a couple photo's of the Allegheny County Courthouse buildings, masterpieces designed & built by Richardson in the 19th century. The Romanesque fortress style uses expertly carved Worcester Granite in both builds. And I can attest to the fact that stone holds heat in the summer >:) and cold in the winter, brrrrrr. .. an epic adventure a live interactive trip report

Last edited:
Reactions: Disneyhead
I always thought (but I don't know why) Fluffy would be in the circular building. But Universal building the roof on the building with nothing in it makes me wonder how a big AA like that could be squeezed it it. Anyone an idea what is going in there?

I always thought (but I don't know why) Fluffy would be in the circular building. But Universal building the roof on the building with nothing in it makes me wonder how a big AA like that could be squeezed it it. Anyone an idea what is going in there?

I wondered that too, this morning one side of the roof was still open/in complete so maybe they can still drop something in there. I'm going back later to see what they got done today. Look for the pics on my Twitter account. Same username

I wondered that too, this morning one side of the roof was still open/in complete so maybe they can still drop something in there. I'm going back later to see what they got done today. Look for the pics on my Twitter account. Same username

I had thought that it would be an empty cabin with all of Hagrid's stuff inside or utilize screens to show something in there. Since there is a launch immediately afterward, I believe that it is a screen and probably reflecting something nasty either waking up or objecting to our being in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.