Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
High thrill rides and roller coasters are a sure fire way to split up any group of people. Even a group of thrill seekers can be divided depending on speed, height, inversions, spinning, etc. Everyone has different tolerances for motion. Heck, people have different tolerances for things like theme and darkness and content. I remember a family trip to USF many years ago. My siblings and I were 4, 8, 11, and 14. MIB was the only ride I remember everyone thoroughly enjoying together. But I have a few memories of being frightened or just waiting for my brothers to ride something with my dad. And so my family never returned to Universal until WWoHP. Universal needs families. And I think they're also making up for lost time with all those families, like mine, that only stayed with the mouse so they could ride most everything together. That was Walt's reason for creating Disneyland in the first place and the reason why Disney is the company that it is. Yes, Universal should have it's own identity and it does. It is still the more thrilling resort, and I don't think a thrilling family coaster/dark ride replacing DD is going to change that. You don't need a park of B&M's to have your own identity.

And being the more attractive park to college kids/20-somethings means nothing when your target audience can't afford you. Six Flags and Cedar Fair can do it because it serves locals and it's easy to get tickets for cheap. But me and my college friends visiting Universal? In this economy? lmao

The last thing theme parks look for is niche.

Niche is maybe the wrong word but something that might please the teenager crowd. I don't think Universal want people thinking that it's only for kids.

I'm not saying it needs to be as intense as Hulk or DC but I'd like to feel my stomach in my throats at least once.

Reactions: LJGonz
Niche is maybe the wrong word but something that might please the teenager crowd. I don't think Universal want people thinking that it's only for kids.

I'm not saying it needs to be as intense as Hulk or DC but I'd like to feel my stomach in my throats at least once.

The ride replacing Dragons will not be a "kiddy" ride. Universal has plastered "New Generation of Thrills" all over everything related to it

The ride replacing Dragons will not be a "kiddy" ride. Universal has plastered "New Generation of Thrills" all over everything related to it

Universal Orlando Close Up | New Generation of Thrill Ride Coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade - Close Up
  • This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.
It might say thrills and not 'kiddy' but fun for the entire family is a contradiction to me.

Reactions: Cheezbat
First off - they need an inverted BM boat ride, just to piss everyone off.

Second, teenagers aren't a demo for theme parks. Families with teenagers perhaps, but not teenagers - because you can't research teenagers directly and they don't control buying decisions anyways.

And lastly, as mentioned, niche is the last thing they want. There are whole groups they intentionally ignore because they are considered too small but have dramatically outside the norm experiences that would "mess up" the experience for the masses if their desires were adopted.

Along those lines - when was the last time you stopped and talked to a survey taker in the parks? And as a repeat guests, how often do you say "oh, I did it before!"

Fun fact, those surveys are measuring your demographic and desires for -that day- and so if newbie first timers are doing it (who might also love boat rides with grandma) then the data says the park is full of newbie first timers.

So whenever the parks aren't getting what you want and you feel a company is ignoring your demographic - think about the last time you stopped to do a survey.

Universal Orlando Close Up | New Generation of Thrill Ride Coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade - Close Up
  • This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.
It might say thrills and not 'kiddy' but fun for the entire family is a contradiction to me.

Thrill ride per the definition just means very exciting ride per Merriam Webster. Maybe not so much the ride movements that are thrilling but maybe some of the situations.

As theme park fans, I think we should all know what this means:

Gringotts/Space Mountain/TRON/Mummy level thrills. It's not going to match Dragons. It's also not going to be an omnimover

In my view "New Generations" is a cryptic clue referring to thrills for the 'new' generation - younger kids After all they are going to have a lot of (family) hotel rooms to fill!

As theme park fans, I think we should all know what this means:

Gringotts/Space Mountain/TRON/Mummy level thrills. It's not going to match Dragons. It's also not going to be an omnimover

If the vehicles self level on a track that has inclines/declines they could technically be omnimovers, because that's the actual definition - aside from the usual usage meaning "chain of vehicles constantly moving."

If the current Potter rides are any indication, the only thing we can assume for sure, is that there will be a dragon.

Reactions: Andysol
A big part of this is going to be how it's packaged. I went on Tower of Terror when it first opened without seat belts and just a lap bar when I was 4 and it scared the crap out of me but I see kids having the time of their lives on it so it's different strokes for different folks. Out of interest I'm going to list a few rides and I'm curious to see how people would rank them in terms of thrills and intensity (Not which is best):

Tower of Terror
Dinosaur
Space mountain
Everest
Star Tours
Splash Mountain
HRRC
Spider-Man
Kong
Hulk
Dragon Challenge
Ripsaw Falls
JPRA

Not that they ever over hype things ;).

This one should be cool though, looking forward to hearing more and following this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.