Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Max (Streaming Service)

HBO Now will basically cease to exist and your subscription will just be rolled into HBO Max as I understand it. It's the same price point with more content.
That’s true if you have HBO Now. If you have HBO Go (pay for HBO through someone else), it’ll depend on your cable provider.

Comcast, for example, won’t give you HBO Max. You’d have to cancel your HBO through Comcast and then re-signup for HBO through HBO.com or somewhere else. Same goes with Amazon. If you get HBO through Charter or Youtube TV or ATT, it will convert automatically.

HBO Max’s biggest issue is their billing mess.

There's a deal currently to get HBO Max for $11.99/month for the first year if you purchase before May 27th. Purchasing it ahead of time also gets you access to HBO Now until HBO Max launches.

There's a deal currently to get HBO Max for $11.99/month for the first year if you purchase before May 27th. Purchasing it ahead of time also gets you access to HBO Now until HBO Max launches.

That's a pretty good deal for the amount of content. Unfortunately, even with a VPN, I can't order this.

I don’t quite get it. What is the diff between HBO and HBO Max? They’re both cable correct?
HBO Max is Warner Media’s streaming service and will have lots of original content only available on the app.

The subscription through cable is just base HBO.

Anything I need to do as a HBO NOW subscriber? Just cxl that and sub to HBO Max?

Sad that existing members can’t take advantage of this.

We won't know till they release viewership metrics in 2021, at which point subscriptions in HBO Max could have risen or fallen due to a variety of other factors.

I think the Mandalorian comparison is apt for different reasons. Like Disney+, HBO Max only has a robust library of content to its name and one big ticket item (Mandalorian, Snyder JL), but not much else. Of course, there's a vibrant list of future content planned for each service, but they're too far in advance for the service to feel worthwhile in the present.
HBO Max is well worth it on day 1 from my view. HBO has a much larger content library and it varies in tone a lot more than Disney's library. HBO Now is the same price as HBO Max and HBO Max will be adding a ton of content to the service on top of what you were already paying for.

Also, it's not like HBO isn't constantly putting out high quality original shows. My hope is that HBOMax will expose more people to Watchmen and the series will eventually get a season 2 because it deserves one.

HBO Max is well worth it on day 1 from my view. HBO has a much larger content library and it varies in tone a lot more than Disney's library. HBO Now is the same price as HBO Max and HBO Max will be adding a ton of content to the service on top of what you were already paying for.

Also, it's not like HBO isn't constantly putting out high quality original shows. My hope is that HBOMax will expose more people to Watchmen and the series will eventually get a season 2 because it deserves one.
I guess beyond Ghibli, I don't see what I would be getting from HBO Max that I wouldn't mostly have with HBO, unless all future WB releases will stream exclusively on HBO Max?
EDIT:
Highlander II: The Renegade Cut would like a word.
I don't know what that is, but the name sounds rad and I'm looking it up.

HBO Max's library is extensively rich. Sopranos alone is a reason I would buy it. Add to that The Wire, Man of Steel, Blade Runner + 2049, Godfather, freaking SESAME STREET, etc. I think it's got every other streaming service beat... only problem for me is its hefty price. I will definitely look into buying this next year.

I guess beyond Ghibli, I don't see what I would be getting from HBO Max that I wouldn't mostly have with HBO, unless all future WB releases will stream exclusively on HBO Max?
I think it's a given that WB releases will be exclusive to HBO Max. All studios are going this direction. Disney with Disney+, and Universal with Peacock. The other studios like Sony and Lionsgate are the only ones doing licensing deals still.