Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Max (Streaming Service)

And they’re losing practically all of their DC movies on July 1st.

And they don't even have all the DC content on there to begin with. None of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, no Batman 1966 show (I know the rights surrounding that one are extremely complicated, but WB was the one to put out the Blu-ray collection), no BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, no MASK OF THE PHANTASM.

I understand that existing licenses take precedence, but they should be working to get all that stuff on there as soon as possible.

I'm shocked that HBO hasn't caved to both Roku and Amazon. It's the single reason my parents haven't used HBO Max when we're already paying for it
Same. I could use my PS4 to access it but never stream anything on there, so the desire for me to check out Max is low until it comes to Roku.

And they’re losing practically all of their DC movies on July 1st. This is such a botched launch and even at the reduced $11.99/month price I got by buying early, I’m wondering how worth it it actually is. So far, I’m working my way through Fresh Prince for the first time in a long time, so that’s keeping me satisfied enough. Hopefully there’ll Be some good originals soon enough.
I've always viewed Max as Warner pouring more money into HBO, a steady brand/network. Transitioning current subscribers over to the Max ecosystem should be their main priority now. Instead, many unknowing subscribers are confused by the service, and potential subscribers just see it as regular HBO. They need a new series on par with Game of Thrones' popularity to even be thinking about challenging Netflix, because Love Life ain't it. Hell, I'd argue Apple TV+ has been more successful than Max, especially because Defending Jacob ended up being a sleeper hit.

Were you a big HBO fan before this? Sharp Objects is a joy
I’ve watched stuff like Veep, Barry and some other stuff like Chernobyl, Big Little Lies and John Oliver’s show.

Ive started watching Watchmen and Westworld, but I’ve also never seen things like The Sopranos, The Wire, or GoT. So I’ve got plenty of new-to-me content.

Same. I could use my PS4 to access it but never stream anything on there, so the desire for me to check out Max is low until it comes to Roku.

I've always viewed Max as Warner pouring more money into HBO, a steady brand/network. Transitioning current subscribers over to the Max ecosystem should be their main priority now. Instead, many unknowing subscribers are confused by the service, and potential subscribers just see it as regular HBO. They need a new series on par with Game of Thrones' popularity to even be thinking about challenging Netflix, because Love Life ain't it. Hell, I'd argue Apple TV+ has been more successful than Max, especially because Defending Jacob ended up being a sleeper hit.
Apple TV+ has very quietly been putting out extremely solid content.

Last edited:
So DC content leaving early and now all 8 Harry Potter movies are leaving in August. On top of that, the service somehow inexplicably is still not supported on Roku or Amazon, so 70% of people couldn't find the service if they tried still.

This has been a botched launch all the way down to some pretty crappy originals. I get that it has the HBO librry titles, but i'm in this for new content and tbh, right now HBO Max isn't giving me much better than Disney+ content-wise for double the price. There's only so many times I can watch Fresh Prince and Whose Line is it Anyway. I wanted to like this service, but I see myself unsubscribing at the end of this month.

I, on the other hand, think this is far and away the deepest library of content out there in terms of quantity of quality. The TCM section is a treasure trove.

Plus LOVECRAFT COUNTRY starts in August!

I, on the other hand, think this is far and away the deepest library of content out there in terms of quantity of quality. The TCM section is a treasure trove.

You’re looking at it from a library POV though. While there’s some library stuff I care about, I don’t care about enough to justify the cost, especially with crap originals. If I’m gonna pay $15/month to a streaming service, it’s going to Netflix since at least I know there’s going to be a constant flow of new content.

You’re looking at it from a library POV though. While there’s some library stuff I care about, I don’t care about enough to justify the cost, especially with crap originals. If I’m gonna pay $15/month to a streaming service, it’s going to Netflix since at least I know there’s going to be a constant flow of new content.
I can’t tell you the last time I thought Netflix had a good original

I'm with you, I just got it and am floored. Sopranos and some Criterion movies alone are enough for me to keep my service, and freaking Looney Tunes. Granted I got it for free for renewing my AT&T internet haha.

So DC content leaving early and now all 8 Harry Potter movies are leaving in August. On top of that, the service somehow inexplicably is still not supported on Roku or Amazon, so 70% of people couldn't find the service if they tried still.

This has been a botched launch all the way down to some pretty crappy originals. I get that it has the HBO librry titles, but i'm in this for new content and tbh, right now HBO Max isn't giving me much better than Disney+ content-wise for double the price. There's only so many times I can watch Fresh Prince and Whose Line is it Anyway. I wanted to like this service, but I see myself unsubscribing at the end of this month.
lol

I can't believe how bad they are with the movies.
DC and HP are both stables of WB but they sold the rights off and now we are going to lose some great films....at least with DC they COULD just put like all 30 animated DC films to try to make up for it but doubt they will

But honestly while it's not perfect I've been watching South Park day in and day out which makes it worth it for me....the show was insane for back in the day and can't believe my dad let a 10 year old watch this, he's cooler then me I doubt I'd let my kid watch South Park before he is in his teens

HBO/HBO Max - even through all of quarantine - is only up 5% in total subscribers from the end of 2019. From Variety:

"As of June 30, 2020, AT&T’s WarnerMedia reported 36.3 million total U.S. subscribers to HBO Max and HBO, up from 34.6 million at Dec. 31, 2019. That’s an increase of 5% over that time period. However, traditional HBO lost 2.1 million subscribers during the first quarter."

I think a lot of this is due to brand confusion (HBO Go/Now/Max) mixed with HBOMax not being available on Roku or Amazon all at one of the steepest streaming prices per month. HBOMax is a good service - it's definitely better than Disney+ as of now. But at this price point, it's direct competition in price to Netflix and despite HBO's reputation, I think the vast majority of people are likely to go with the safe option of Netflix over HBOMax if given the choice.

The Harley Quinn show is now streaming on HBO Max. I'm surprised that DC Universe still hasn't been swallowed up by this yet.
It will soon enough. I thought I had already heard a date for when it was being shuttered, although that could've just been a rumor.

It will soon enough. I thought I had already heard a date for when it was being shuttered, although that could've just been a rumor.

With Doom Patrol and Harley on HBOMax now, I think the question relies on Titans. If they strongly showcase that for HBOMax as opposed to the DCUniverse Streaming service--then I do think thing's are likely numbered for the service.

If and When they put all the DC stuff on HBO Go Batman the Animated Series and Justice League hold up very well, also Young Justice is a solid show besides the time jumps which make it where there are like too many characters but the main cast is good.

Also still watch South Park at Season 4 now....I still can't believe this show got made, so funny but my god how did anyone ok this stuff on tv? lol

I've been watching the new show I May Destroy You. So good.

Also finally watched The Hate U Give on here tonight. It's actually devastating how timely it is and seems like it would be released next year based on this year's events, but it was actually released 2 years ago.